“surprised and very happy”

Holiday Inn Express Ashland
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was very surprised and happy with this hotel. Its been a long time since I been to a Holiday Inn Express. I had a bad experince in LA a few years ago anyway, this hotel was very clean and comfortable and the staff was wonderful . I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are very good
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have had good experiences, over the years, with Holiday Inn. When traveling I usually will stay at a Holiday Inn because they are consistant. The Holiday Inn in Ashland was in a convenient location near an conference being held at the university. As I always do I signed up for the government rate, being a government employee, and brought a pay stub and my union card for verification. As I checked in the clerk informed me that I would not get the government rate because I did not have a "government identification" that included a "tax i.d. number". In my twenty-five years as a government employee I have never been asked for such an i.d... I showed the clerk my pay stub, union card, driver's license, and credit card but she insisted I did not qualify. She then asked if I was a AAA member, which I am, and said she would give me the AAA rate, which she did. I was pretty upset at the clerk and felt she knew she had me backed into a corner. Knowing I had no other option I accepted and paid for the AAA rate and then realized, after the clerk's shift had ended, that she had never asked to see my AAA card! So, she made a big deal about my "government employee identification" and yet never asked for proof that I belonged to AAA. That experience tainted my visit and I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LStarcevich
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a very nice Holiday Inn in Ashland. Good location to downtown, restaurants and theater. Helpful and courteous staff, comfy beds, refrigerator and microwave.

Right off the freeway and away from more expensive locations downtown make this a perfect choice.

Full breakfast in the morning but only til 9:30 so for this late riser, couldn't take advantage but did get some coffee which was still available a lot later.

Room Tip: We had the bottom floor just outside the front desk and elevators but noise wasn't a problem unt...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here over the July 4th holiday and went to two Shakespeare plays. The town is a great tourist destination with boutique style shops. The hotel was fabulous! We stayed in a two bed suite for three days. The suite was only ten dollars more than the room and was well worth the price. Not only did we have a couch and lounge chairs but the room was also semi-divided and we had two TV's (which was perfect as we have children). The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is wonderful. We also recommend the great Mexican restaurant next door. Enjoy your stay in Ashland!

Room Tip: Spend the extra few dollars and upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeannine C
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here overnight on our drive down the coast. Booked by bidding on Priceline and got a decent deal. It was your standard clean Holiday Inn. Everything worked. Shower pressure was good. Parking was free.

It's a 5 minute drive from the main part of town. Definitely not walkable. It's right off the freeway, which is convenient for driving, but not really a walkable area.

Either way, it's a good place to sleep overnight in order to check out the town. Free breakfast and WiFi are good perks too.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the parking lot and freeway for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank smartcooki
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights. Was upgraded to a suite which I really appreciated. Yummy breakfast buffett every morning. Great coffee also which one doesn't always get at Holiday Inns. Room was clean. Bed and pillos were very comfortable. I slept like a baby. TVs are not in HD but I didn't spend too much time watching TV. Elevator is in an awkward place. This location DOES NOT have a lobby computer for guests to use. Was probably the only downer. Found myself trying to plan each day's activities by going to the public library to see the weather and other daily destiniation info. Would've been nice to have the computer in lobby like other Holiday Inns. I still had a wonderful time staying at this hotel. I don't have any complaints that will keep me from staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are quieter. Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade and any info on you...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have stayed here before and have never been disappointed with my choice.
Check in is always easy and efficient. The rooms are clean and roomy. I find the beds comfortable. The continental breakfast is basic,, on this visit the pancake machine was broke, which is my only complaint. I was here for 3 days and it was never fixed. Hopefully they have fixed it by now. If you are looking for a fancy breakfast, then this is not your place.
This hotel is a short drive to the Shakespeare Festival. The Best Western has a shuttle to and from which I hope the HE will add.
You can hear the freeway, since this hotel is right off the freeway, but it did not bother me.
The indoor pool is nice, it closes by 10, so if you are returning from a late play, you will not get to relax in the spa afterward. But it is a good place for the kids, since the ground doesn't get hot and you can use it year round. The small excercise room is good for a quick workout.
I also find this hotel always smells clean and fresh. Never musty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway if this type of noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family