“a Gem off I-5 in Ashland, Oregon”

Holiday Inn Express Ashland
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I recently visited this hotel in December while on business in Southern Oregon. I must say I was impressed with not just the hotel overall as it is updated and a very nice hotel but the staff I encountered we're also friendly and took time to say a hello when I was asking down hallway, in elevator etc. that is always nice as I travel quite a lot for work and it's nice to feel valued as a paying guest. Wireless Internet also worked very good as well.

Hotel has a good breakfast and there is also a very good Mexican restaurant next door that is phenomenal . I recommend the care Asada....excellent! They also have American fare as well.

Overall, I will certainly return.

Room Tip: El Paraiso restaurant next door is outstanding!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank QualityInspector1
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Ashland

Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here both on the way to visit family in California for Thanksgiving and on the way back. This is the place we stay when either going to the Shakespeare Festival and when traveling to California. We have together or separately stayed here approximately 10 times. It is always very clean and very comfortable. The breakfast is better than most and has something for everybody. We take it back to our room and enjoy it there with the morning newspaper. The staff is extremely accommodating. Our return visit was on Nov. 27th, the day of the Oregon Civil War game. We had inquired on our first stay if we could possibly check in about the time the game started (12:30 vs regular check-in time of 3:00). We arrived about 12:00, watched some football in the lobby/breakfast area, and were in our room for the kickoff. This is the second year in a row that they have accommodated us in this manner. We won't stay anywhere else in Ashland.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter if you like your window open.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We have 3 kids, and once you have five in a family, you usually need a suite. So, I booked a 2 room suite with queen bed and a sofa. I made the mistake of assuming the sofa would be a pull out, considering there were 5 of us in the room, but I was wrong. Upon arrival, I called 1800-HOLIDAY. The first 2 people I talked to told me the sofa should be a pull out. I was transfered to customer care who curtly told me that my reservation did NOT indicate a sofabed. I spoke to the front desk and was informed that all the roll away beds were accounted for, but we could have extra blankets so one of us could try to sleep on the tiny couch. I am not very happy. If I had known, I would have stayed somewhere else, or at least not splurged on a suite.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 5ofusontheroad
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights to attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive from downtown Ashland, the theaters, and restaurants. We find that the tradeoff of price of the hotel vs. proximity to the theaters is worth it. It is a bit impersonal, but the hotel does have many things going for it. We have stayed here two times now, and are very pleased with the comfort of the rooms, bed, and bath. Both the room and bath were quite spacious. The complimentary buffet breakfast was good (cereal, yogurt, an egg dish bacon or sausage). The dining area does get a little crowded at peak times, but we along with our friends never failed to find a place to sit. The heated indoor pool is a good size. Although the hotel has a gym, it is fairly minimal - one treadmill, one bicycle, and one elliptical trainer. Unfortunately, both times we stayed at the hotel, the temperature in the gym was much too hot – 80 degrees. Given the length of our stay there, it would have also been nice to have access to a computer, but that is a minor complaint. The TV was a flat screen and there were many channel choices. There is plenty of parking. The downside is when you drive into Ashland, parking is not nearly so easy to come by. We would definitely go back the next time we go to Ashland.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This property is smaller than others I have visited. They do not have a business center and I missed that. However, staff was more than happy to print out a movie schedule for an art house movie theater in town (The Varsity).

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was the standard hot breakfast that the chain provides.

Local calls are free.

The location is off Interstate 5 (not downtown) so you will need your car. However, it is near a great Sushi restaurant - called Bonsai Teriyaki and Sushi, off Ashland Ave. Lee's Korean in the same shopping center is pretty good too.

They allow pets on the first floor but not on the third. So, I chose the the top floor.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor if you don't like pets. If you have a pet, ask for the first floor. '...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in September, 2011. The room was spacious, the towels and linens very nice, and the A/C worked great, since it was very warm here. The indoor pool was clean and the complimentary breakfast had variety and was monitored very well. Even though this hotel is not in the downtown area, it is only a short drive away. The reception desk staff were all very pleasant and helpful. A great stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The Holiday Inn Express is a solid example of the genre: conveniently located to I-5 and just outside of Ashland, fast sit-down food and gasoline nearby, a comfortable ambience, and a good selection of amenities. Parking is free around the hotel and check-in was handled well: the staff was able to help with directions and a local map, wi-fi instructions and breakfast times. The lobby has a breakfast area to one side, a pool and exercise facility beyond, and a good flow of families through which make up most of the guests.

Rooms are large and comfortable, again, in style and appointments that are typical for an upscale Holiday Inn. Beds are large and comfortable, curtains are heavy and traffic noise is minimal. There is TV with local and national cable and a selection of movies, there is a mini-fridge and in-room safe and coffee. The WiFi is free, but could only be accessed from the lobby (our room was out at the end of a hall). The bathroom was clean and had the usual kit; the bathtub was small and shallow but the shower had good temperature and pressure.

Breakfast s buffet, featuring both hot and cold items. It's good to arrive ahead of the family packs, but the staff does a pretty good job of keeping up with re-stocking. Not a lot of healthy choices (it tends towards waffles and fried meats and potatoes) but there are cereals and fruits. The restaurants in walking distance are also good.

This is a comfortable if generic hotel, a good stop along the highway or a good base for visiting Ashland if you are with family. You need a car to get into town (about a ten minute drive) but otherwise it's convenient to local shopping and attractions.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family