“Authentic flavors, beautifully prepared” 5 of 5 bubbles

Taroko Pan-Pacific Bistro
Ranked #42 of 151 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Thai, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Portland Oregon
“Authentic flavors, beautifully prepared”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

It is a unique experience, to eat in a Japanese restaurant alone. I think of sushi and all the other little plates as being so communal -- sharing bites, chopsticks criss-crossing one another for morsels off others' plates. So I really value the memory of my peaceful and beautiful -- and solo -- lunch at Taroko recently. I had an unexpected couple of hours to myself in downtown Ashland before meeting friends for a 1:30 Shakespeare performance. I stopped into Taroko, not knowing what I would find. I didn't have sushi (although every piece that came by looked wonderful), but decided to try one of the house specials (calamari salad) and then enjoy an old love of mine (baked mussels). The salad was so huge, the waitress and I both laughed when she brought it. SO much fresh green & julienned vegs (& all artfully arranged, of course!). The fried calamari was perfect -- and not just a few placed on top but many, many calamari rings tossed throughout the greens. Probably over 3 dozen. It was a real -- and enjoyable - treasure hunt to find them.
I did notice that both the calamaris and the baked mussels were not served piping hot. In my experience, everywhere else -- if you are not selecting them from a conveyer belt where they've been sitting -- they are served as hot as can be. But not here, and I do have to wonder why.
The service was very nice (on a weekday right after 12 noon, they weren't busy), and the atmosphere is nice. If you go out the back door you find yourself right in the plaza at the main OSF theaters - and this is very accommodating, no matter what the weather.

• Visited September 2013

Santa Barbara, CA
“Very nice sushi & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

After being taken by shuttle from our hotel to the theater, we had less than an hour to have dinner before King Lear began. Taroko Pan-Pacific Bistro was just a few short blocks away. It was very busy, and we were afraid we would not make it back to the theater in time. However, the staff was so good about getting us our appetizer, entrees and check promptly, that we needn't have worried. The sushi was very fresh, a generous portion and good, the Mongolian beef was good and the calamari appetizer very tasty. I'd go back again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Travelaunt58
Tucson
“Fresh Fish in Ashland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The sushi was excellent--halibut was so fresh and flavorful.
The salt and pepper calamari was definitely one of the best dishes I have had in a long time.
The pad thai was lacking seasoning but the tofu was very fresh.
The Mongolian beef was great--definitely would recommend it.
When you first walk into this restaurant you do not realize how large it is. So even if you do not have a reservation, don't be afraid to stop by to see if there is room. They have a nice bar area as well as an upstairs area for dining.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pacific Northwest
“Not as good the second time around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Returned to Taroko -this time during tourist season. Unfortunately, there was a significant decline in the service. Took a while to even take our drink order let alone food order and then the kitchen was very slow.

Visited August 2013
Ashland, Oregon
“Great pan-Asian cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have eaten here several times, and the food is always good, and the staff I friendly and efficient.

Visited May 2013