“More than just a pleasant surprise!”

Taroko Pan-Pacific Bistro
Ranked #40 of 161 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I were "menu in the window" shopping around downtown looking for the best fit for our Friday night early dinner. He doesn't eat seafood and is not a fan of Italian, two of my favorites, so it usually takes us some time to come across something that works for both of us. As we were standing in the window reading the extensive menu, a woman come out to us and told us that we MUST come inside. She was visiting for 2 days, and upon eating here the day before, she was so impressed that she came back TWO more times. She suggested the calamari right off the bat, so I was sold.

The menu is a great fusion of cuisines. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Mongolian and Korean. There are so many things to chose from, that I was having a hard time deciding. My husband is a meat eater, so he was happy with offerings of Mongolian Beef, Beef Pho, Green Curry and Korean BBQ. He decided on the Mongolian Beef. I didn't want to get the typical Pad Thai, so I asked the server for some help. She told me that if I love Pad Thai, to give theirs a try because they have a unique twist, and it is not laden with peanut sauce - so that is what I ordered. We also ordered the calamari as an app and their Volcano "sushi" roll - a cooked blend of various seafoods. I mentioned before that my husband doesn't eat seafood...

Calamari: BEST we have ever had. Husband LOVED it. It came on a bed of sauteed ginger, garlic, onions and peppers. The cracked pepper flavor, teamed with the perfect batter, texture and veggies were a complete hit.

Mongolian Beef: The plating was gorgeous. Plenty of food. He ordered it with extra spice (he likes things VERY hot). Meat was tender, the blend of flavors spot on. He was pleased.

Pad Thai: YUM. It is not your traditional dish - this had more of a broth to it, a sweet n sour broth that was a perfect compliment to the super thin noodles and veggies. Not at all dry or coated in peanut sauce like most restaurants do. It was perfectly different and very satisfying.

Volcano roll: not a traditional roll at all, but more of a fun twist on "sushi:. It came in a huge tower, tempera rolled (not rice rolled) and covered in a yummy mango sauce. Very, very filling. My non seafood eating husband ate half of it!

We had to force ourselves not to go back again the next day because we really wanted to eat each meal for the weekend at different restaurants. Truth be told, after eating at a few other establishments, the right choice would have been to go back - there are just so many things on the menu we wanted to try. We will go back the next time we head to Ashland.

Oh, and the drinks are put together really well. Creative and the right balance of alcohol and flavor.

2  Thank banderson

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We only had 30 minutes before the play began, and we were able to enjoy our meal and make it to the show on time. Our food was excellent - the Kung Pao chicken and Shrimp/Scallop/Portobello Mushroom X.O. Connection dish were outstanding. Great service, great food and a backdoor entrance to the Bolmer Theater.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This restaurant will be jammed before long.unbelievable sushi
Tons of great fish...no skimping.
Great service

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We ate here last night and the sushi was very solid, both rolls and sashimi. Creatively prepared and the fish tasted very fresh. Others had some of the other dishes on the menu, there is quite the variety from Chinese to Thai. Some complained the the Mongolian beef was too hot, but others enjoyed their meals. At the end of the evening all the food was gone so it must not have neen too bad.

Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Ate here with friends before attending a play, fast, good service, reasonable price. I enjoyed my meal , the 3 others were underwhelmed.
I had the veg tempura which was light & excellent as was their coconut shrimp. Ilike the Asian spiced Calamari, my husband found them too salty.
We all had the 4 spice ribs which were a bit dry & over peppered compared to those we love in some restaurants. Good draft beers & wines by the glass.