“Great food!”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not really sure what I expected, but this exceeded all expectations I may or may not have had! Service was great, location was excellent, atmosphere was very nice, for a casual place. I was blown away by the food! The Kung Pao Tofu was awesome! I wish I knew how to cook tofu like that, because it was quite possibly the best I've ever had. I also had the Zombie roll which was very good. I would like to come back here on an evening when I could enjoy the bar area in the back. Looks like a cool party spot!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stopped in for lunch at Taroko on a recent road trip from Washington to California. The space was a lot larger than I expected from the outside and decorated very modernly. I was impressed with the atmosphere and liked it right away. We were greeted immediately at the door and the service turned out to be fantastic. Our order was taken promptly and our water glasses were constantly filled (this is a big plus because I drink a lot of water)! We had decided to sit in the back area (bar) for privacy and walking through I couldn't help but to notice how lovely the food looked on everyone's tables. Great presentation! We ended up sharing a salad and Kung Pao Tofu and my husband ordered a sushi roll (I can't remember what kind). The salad was seriously delicious! We didn't finish the whole thing and I would have gotten it to go if we didn't have such a long, hot drive ahead of us without a cooler to put it in. The Kung Pao Tofu was tasty too! I definitely wasn't disappointed! I was also pleasantly surprised to see a number of other vegetarian dishes on the menu and would gladly stop in again to try them out next time we're in Ashland! After our lunch we walked a few doors down and picked up coffee drinks from a walk up window for Noble Coffee. Highly recommended as well for a coffee fix on the go!

1  Thank KMeis
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My sister and I were enjoying walking around Ashland and we got hungry. Ashland is known for wonderful restaurants and while searching for a restaurant we knew, we stumbled upon Taroko. Just entering the door, the delicious smells from patron's tables was the deciding factor to stop here for a meal. The service was excellent with very friendly and knowledgeable staff. There is a large and varied menu of pan-pacific foods, you will want to try everything. I had the special red curry soup with noddles and seafood, vegetables, etc. The bowl was HUGE, so I had another great meal the next day. My sister is a vegetarian and she had the agedashi tofu, flash fried tofu in a tempura sauce with scallions and even though it was an appetizer, she was nicely filled by the end of the meal. I plan to return over and over again.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Great location on the Plaza. Interesting menu with daily specials. Arguably, the best Sushi in Ashland. Service is good. Good bar.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We ate here three days in a row... the first night by chance, the next two days because we needed something during the odd hours between plays and because we knew we could get something good, fast, and tasty. Everything we tried was great, and the servers were friendly and gave us tips about things around town.

The wonton soup special is ridiculous - delicious and served in practically a bathtub sized bowl. In fact, all the food was served in huge portions for a very reasonable price. Coming from people from the Bay Area where there is great asian food, it says a lot that Taroko impressed us!