“Good value”

Agave Taco
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Agave has moved across the street to 5 Granite street. come see us at our bigger location
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Just had tacos and chips at Agave. Quick, fresh, and delicious. No pretense, just good food at a fair price.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

If your idea of a good margarita resembles a slurpy then this place isn't for you. They have traditional on the rocks margaritas only. Very well done and at a reasonable price. The guacamole was spot on served with delicate but homemade chips. I opted for the carne asda power lunch salad. Certainly not a traditional dish, but well executed. My wife got the ceviche. The fish was of excellent quality but the lime marinade was bitter. I think if they cut it with lemon juice it would be improved. Or perhaps the limes weren't ripe yet.

The staff is very young but upbeat and helpful. They seem to care about what they do in a quirky and amiable style. For instance one of the waiters wore margarita sunglasses. Silly for sure but he was very attentive and helpful.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We sat at the counter, which was ok as things go, but we were also there during a Friday night during the Shakespeare festival. They got to us in a timely manner, and we ordered the fish tacos, and a bean and rice taco, guac. with chips and to FUERTE margaritas. The latter were really really really fuerte. Everything was delicious, and we ate every bite. Really worth a trip if you are in Ashland. They were nicely efficient, especially given how busy they were!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Perhaps I'm spoiled, because I have spent a lot of time in Mexico. The food here was not my favourite. The cabbage salad had so much lime juice it was bitter. The vegitarian tamale was a large and tasteless glop. I rarely leave food on my plate, but this thing, I had to leave. The margarita was way too strong and sour. All I could taste was tquila and lime. Now some may like this. My dining companion liked his meal. A big plus for us was the sidewalk seating allowed us to have our pooch with us.

2  Thank ZLI
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The wife and I came here on the advice of a woman we met at the Jackson Hot Springs. We were hungry and thoroughly relaxed from the waters and didn't want to drive back to Medford for food. At this point in our trip the food had been ok. Nothing really to rave about. When the woman said fresh fish tacos that was all I needed to hear.......

After a lap of the block we found some not-too-far-away parking and headed in. We were greeted immediately and sat down to look at the menu. The space is small but well lit and does have some interesting art on the wall. It is a small location with only a handful of tables. I was a bit concerned at the lack of age in the wait staff and the cooks. But it worked out.

We decided on the Ceviche and the chips & guacamole for apps. Neither disappointed. I scarfed down the ceviche like it was my job. The wife had to move quick to get some. The only slight quibble was I wish there was more fish. Otherwise good and limey. The guac was fresh and the house made tortilla chips were crunchy and salty. My sauteed fish tacos were scrumptious and the wife's carnitas tacos were excellent as well (melt-in-your-mouth-carnitas). We left fat and happy.

Were the tacos as good as the ones I had in Mulege? No. But in Mulege the fish was alive 2 minutes before they cooked it, so that is pretty tough to beat.

We liked the Rogue Valley area, even though Ashland is a bit pretentious and a little stuck up. So we will be back and Agave is on the list for lunch/dinner.