“Think twice about Callahans”

Callahan's Mountain Lodge
Ranked #13 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Yreka, California
“Think twice about Callahans”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went to the New Years Eve special, room, dinner and party, $375.00 Very dissapointing. Meals were average, service was terrible, the kind of service you would expect from a fast food restaurant. It was also my birthday, when my wife asked about a birthday dessert, the waitress just said they had a slice of chocolate cake "want one" Not even a "Happy Birthday". Went to the "party" a D.J. who didn't even talk just played records whlie the T.V. ran in the forground with a football game playing, that was more interesting than the party. They had water to drink and small meatballs and chicken wing for appetizers. After leaving the "Party", we returned to the room to enjoy the jacuzzi, after filling it and getting in we pushed the on button, did not work, and of course it couldn't be fixed. Got out and put on the nice robe they provide, it had a hole in the armpit. One or two of these incidents I could overlook, but when you put them all together it made for a very dissapointing New Years Eve and Birthday cellebration. The front desk person gave us a "$25 " refund on a $375.00 bill. Wow. I wrote to Mr Bregquist over a month ago, No response, not even a "Sorry" Will not return. Not just because or the poor evening, but because of the lack of concern from the owners.

Room Tip: Find another location.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank D B
SiskiyouLodge, Manager at Callahan's Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2016
Your review is appreciated. That experience is not what we have striven for since 1947 - along with this response time to a review. In order to fix a problem, it must be owned with responsibility. Corrections have been made and the next time you travel our way ask for me - Quinn, and I will ensure a vastly different Callahan's experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was thinking this might be an old and creaky hotel and wow, was I wrong. New, SOLID construction, COZY and warm, quite luxurious and lodge beautiful. Lovely, friendly and helpful staff. We fell asleep to a crackling, roaring fire (in the fireplace in our room.) We greatly enjoyed the nightly acoustical guitarist, and hanging around the fireplace in the bar area. The meals were delicious. It was a real treat to enjoy the completely different weather system - after days and days of rain and flooding and fog up the California coast, we found blue sky and 6 feet of snow here! Close to the town of Ashland, which was extremely nice and just added to our road trip fun. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Given that the resort was rebuilt a few years ago, our sense is that all rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
There is something special about an acoustical guitarist and an inviting fireplace. )
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent Christmas night in this room shown in the photo and it was sooo cozy. The jacuzzi tub is great, beds are very comfortable, clean. Even a wood burning fireplace in the room. And dinner - YUMMY! And breakfast (included with the room charge) was absolutely excellent. We look forward to going back soon and often. Don't miss it!

1 Thank Deborah J
And your review of Callahan's was a treat as well!
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My wife and I spent a wonderful, relaxing overnight getaway, just 10 minutes from our home in Ashland. Beautiful holiday decorations, attentive staff, charming, clean and spacious room with fireplace, and a delicious dinner and breakfast prepared with real talent and flair. Plus, a foot of snow overnight! We highly recommend Callahan's to anyone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle and simply relax and enjoy. A real treat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Relax and enjoy at Callahan's is the opposite of the hustle and bustle. :)
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I recently stayed at Callahan's. I arrived late and a key was left for me, no one was at front desk. I went to my room to find: feces on toilet lid, mold and mildew, head and body hair on the floor and in the shower and soap scum. I had no option at that time to change a room. I thought that if can see unsanitary conditions, I wonder what I can't see. Owner charged me for a service animal, I have never been charged before. When I questioned her she told me that when there is an animal in the room that they have to change "everything." Shouldn't they be doing this anyway? They compensated me with a 1:00 check out, wow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank 3606Man
SiskiyouLodge, Manager at Callahan's Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 8, 2016
I am sorry about your experience - and our late response in responding to reviews.

Changes have been made. Contact the lodge if you ever get this response and we will provide you with a free night for you and your service animal.

Quinn.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a great place! My husband and I got married here and it was perfect I would recommend it to anyone. They were very accommodating and took care of everything. We went back for our anniversary and we once again were very pleased.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Great place! And great review! Thank you.
Medford, Oregon, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Callahan's is the best places for a nice nite out, the food and service is one of the best, the music very nice and enjoyable, (The banana split is the die for) The waiter Chad very friendly and heplful.
We will return very soon. Thank you Donna and Ron for making the place feel like Home

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
The banana split was indeed "to die for" but to encourage repeat business we encourage guests to not "die for it" :)

Thank you for the review!