“Hidden Mt. Gem 30 minutes from Ashland” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bad Taste BnB

Bad Taste BnB
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Bad Taste BnB
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Oakland, California
“Hidden Mt. Gem 30 minutes from Ashland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

I have stayed here several times in the past few years when I've come to Ashland for Shakespeare or in the winter to ski. I've come with 1 other person and I've come with 4 friends. I almost don't want to tell people about this place for fear that I'll have trouble getting a reservation. This BnB is a renovated barnhouse that is quiet, beautiful, serene and a much cheaper alternative to staying directly in Ashland. Its located near Mt. Ashland, directly south of Ashland, about 20-30min drive into Ashland .

There's no TIVO, no TV and no high speed internet access, so if that's what you are looking for, you should find another option. If you are looking for a homey, comfortable, breathtaking mountain retreat surrounded by trees and wildflowers, this is the place. The website has plenty of pictures but its hard to tell just how spacious this place is-it can sleep at least 4 comfortably, with rooms on several levels. It is so quiet and a plethora of songbirds are the only noise I heard the last time I was there-in fact, just about every time I've been there. There is a train that goes through the valley at most once a day, but I slept through that two of the three days I was there so that should tell you something about how loud that is-I am not known as a deep sleeper either.

The innkeeper is very friendly, accommodating and gladly welcomes children. This is great for families or couples. I am so glad I stumbled on this place when I couldn't get a reservation in town.
If I had to sum it up in one word, I say its "idyllic"-assuming you want to commune with nature and to get a way from TV and the internet etc.

• Liked — The surrounding natural beauty-trees, stars, meadows, deer, birds
  • Disliked — The wood stove-necessary in the winter and more work than I'm used to
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple