“Do You Love Live Theater?”

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't need to head to England to experience the genius of a Shakespearean play. Much closer to home is the Oregon Shakespeare Festival located in Ashland, Oregon. Every year at the end of October you can enjoy on average over ten of Shakespeare's plays performed in both classic and newly imagined style. Separate tickets are needed for each show which is held at one of the event campus's two indoor or one outdoor spaces.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We attended our first play in the mid-1990s at the Festival. Got hooked and have been members and attended nearly every year since. Not only have we seen great Shakepeare productions but many others including musicals, comedys, dramas and more. Just attended Street Car Named Desire, King Lear, Taming of the Shrew. Three theater venues including one outdoor theater open during the summer months.

1  Thank Steven G

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The production of Lear at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is quite possibly the single finest production I've seen, and I've lived a long life in theatre as an actress, playwright, and professor of performance studies. All the characters in this production believe completely in their objectives and pursue them as if their lives depend on it; the production is beautifully supported by design elements, and it's fast-paced and intense. By staging it in the intimate Thomas theatre, the director suggests that Lear is about all our families dealing with aging parents with dementia. The loyalty of Cordelia, Kent, the Fool, and Edgar is contrasted with the ambition, drinking, and greed of Goneril and Regan, but every character is fully developed, complex, and fascinating. The Fool, who has been a part of Cirque du Soliel, is both genuine and athletic. Lear and Gloucester, the two foolish fathers, are flawed just as we all are flawed, and each ultimately receives, forgives, and acknowledges his love for his child before the final catastrophe. The audience leaves the theatre completely wrung out, having laughed, cried, hoped, and feared: even though we knew what was coming. Still, every moment is a surprise and a revelation. I was less thrilled with the other productions I saw, but this one alone is worth a trip from anywhere on the planet. See this. You won't see a better production. Ever.

6  Thank Pilgrim2
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The heart of Ashland, it really is a special place even if you don't like the show. The care and support of the festival participants year after year is amazing. I love theater so I bias but I think every Oregonian should experience the Oregon Shakespeare Festival as least one in their life.

1  Thank NWlivin
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My partner and I go twice a year at least to the Shakespeare festival. There is no bad seat in the house in any of the theaters. We usually buy the cheap tickets and because the theaters are small and built well we still really enjoy the shows. They have many amazing actors and have both Shakespeare and Non-Shakespeare plays every season. We usually go once in May and one in September and try to catch as many of the shows that we can. This is fun for people from 13-80.

2  Thank Jenna19
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I first went to plays at Ashland's OSF in 1970. My how they've aged well! I am now a member, and we make the 6-hour drive at least once a year. The quality is astounding!

2  Thank EMCFrog