“Something for everyone”

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't need to head to England to experience the genius of a Shakespearean play. Much closer to home is the Oregon Shakespeare Festival located in Ashland, Oregon. Every year at the end of October you can enjoy on average over ten of Shakespeare's plays performed in both classic and newly imagined style. Separate tickets are needed for each show which is held at one of the event campus's two indoor or one outdoor spaces.
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This year the OSF had a little of everything, more traditional Shakespeare (Henry IV, with slightly updated costumes), experimental Shakespeare (Julius Caesar played by a woman, with the audience playing the Roman crowds), Gilbert & Sullivan, and a Pulitzer-winning play (August: Osage County). Moliere's French farce was updated to the 1960's (some loved it and some hated it). Measure for Measure was cast race- and gender-blind and set in modern times in a Latino Vienna, but preserving Shakespeare's words.

If you're open minded and want to see great acting this is the place for you. I thought I was more of a traditionalist, but this year and last I have to admit I enjoyed everything.

There are newer reviews for Oregon Shakespeare Festival

Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and I, for our 20th anniversary, decided to take in a play. We attended "Pirates of Penzance" and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The cast and crew gave it their all. The creative energy was high and we had a fun, fun time.

1  Thank Eric C
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Regular patrons to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival may have heard about the Bowmer Theatre closing for a bit. We were there for the final weekend before they returned indoors. It was a special experience to see how they handled the shows in a temporary tent. The plays were great. I especially liked their first ever Gilbert and Sullivan production. They did Pirates of Penzance on the outdoor stage. I wish I could see it again.

1  Thank SBventurer
Reviewed August 25, 2011

What does a Mariachi band and Spanish have to do with Shakespeare? Nothing, you say? Well then, welcome to Ashland's Spanglish version of "Measure for Measure", where Mariachis singers in full costume appear onstage singing in Spanish during the performance, and actors speak Spanish onstage too. Does that sound incongruous or what?
We came all the way from Vancouver, B.C. expecting to hear the beautiful cadence of Elizabethan blank verse, and an honest treatment of the Bard's gorgeous metaphor and philosophy. What we got was laughable in its own right: a black actor speaking in bop and hip-hop and black street talk. Then there was the little Asian actress with a thin, reedy voice who overplayed the pathos of her role much as would a novice actress. Her Span ish seemed good, though.
Nothing about the Bard seemed sacred to the play's director. Have you ever seen an actor deliver a soliloquy while lying on his back and talking to the ceiling. Claudio, the soliloquizer--a Viennese nobleman--became in Ashland a Mexican. The Duke was welcomed home not to Vienna, but "Bienvenidos a The Pagina Community Center".
Despite the rushed dialogue of the play's protagonist (the only real thespian of the bunch), or perhaps because of it, the play moved along at a brisk pace, which delighted the audience to the point of a standing ovation!
So the home folks ate it up, but we are still laughing not about the buffonery in the plot, but about the incongruities that I've mentioned. There were some good laughs in the play as well, but if you want to hear REAL Shakespeare, you'll have to come to Vancouver's Bard on The Beach, where the language drives the play, not vice-versa.

7  Thank goldstan
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I wasn't planning to write a review today, but I just have to provide some balance to the previous negative reviews of Imaginary Invalid. We found it to be a clever, whimsical resetting of a classic farce and enjoyed it immensely. Yes, it's over the top with silly gags and groan-inducing puns, and, of course, the resolution is entirely predictable. High theater, it is not, but I dare say that is entirely in keeping with Moliere's spirit, and it made for a rollicking afternoon. It was one of our favorite plays of the festival.

3  Thank newkruzer