“Absolutely disgusting”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Los Angeles, California
“Absolutely disgusting”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Heading home after a long road trip with my two daughters, I booked a room at Super 8 Ashland through Hotels.com. It was a last minute booking and they charged my card for the one night (100.48). During this trip, we have stayed at a range of properties...cabins, 2 stars, 3 stars, etc. I was not expecting anything fancy...this was literally going to just be a place to sleep and then we were going to get back on the road in the morning. I usually stay at a Holiday Inn Express or a La Quinta when I am making a quick stop on the road but I will cop to bad planning...Friday nights in Ashland mean that everything is completely booked. This is why I was left with no alternative. Still, there is no excuse for what I encountered here.

When I walked into the lobby, I felt that I was walking into the lobby of a youth hostel in a third world country. When I asked the front desk agent what the security was like on the premises, he assured me that during the "several years" that he had worked there, there had never been a break in the parking lot and that there is very little crime in Ashland.

The hallways were disgusting...like a tenement. The carpeting was old and smelled horrible. I have noticed that several people have remarked that the supposedly non-smoking rooms smelled of cigarette smoke. That is probably because there were so many smokers standing around the property smoking and they bring the smell back into the hotel rooms with them. Anyway, I digress...I cannot comment on the decor of the rooms because of what happened next: I slid the hotel key card into the slot and opened the door only to find that the room was already occupied by people who, I later learned, were "squatters" and were not authorized to be in the room. The hotel showed the room as "unoccupied".

When I opened the door, the most wretched smell escaped and I only caught of glimpse of the squalor that was inside...clothes, shoes, bicycles, various bags. I slammed the door and told my daughters to quickly follow me.

When I returned to the lobby, there was a line of people to check in (oh, those poor people...if they only knew what they were in for!) however, the front desk clerk saw me in line and asked me if I had a question. I handed him the key cards and told him that the room had someone in it and I would be going elsewhere. He exclaimed, "WHAT?!?!". After searching, unsuccessfully, for another room in Ashland, I had to head over the mountain, in the dark, to Yreka for the night. The accommodations at the Yreka Holiday Inn Express were very kindly booked for me by the clerk at the Holiday Inn Express in Ashland which was fully booked when I inquired about a room there.

After I calmed down, I called the clerk at the Super 8 and talked to him about the situation, asking for a refund. He did not apologize and, when I asked him if he had gone to the room yet, he said that he had not yet had time to look into the problem. He also told me that he could not issue a refund and that I would have to call Hotels.com.

I did that and am now still waiting to see if I will be issued a refund...it will ultimately be left up to the hotel management. If he decides that I do not qualify for a refund, I will take it up with my credit card company.

I had never before booked at a Supe 8 and never ever will again.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cagney J
M P, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Ashland, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for your unpleasant stay at the Ashland Super 8. We appreciate your bringing this situation to our attention. I assure you that the matter will be looked into.

Thank you for taking the time to less us know of your situation. Guest satisfaction is our priority, and we appreciate it when our guest make the effort to bring to our attention items that need to be corrected. But nothing was reported to front desk after check in otherwise we would gave you another room asap or check you out asap after check in but room was occuipied until next day. In an effort to compensate you for your experience, we would like you to provide 15% discount on your next stay at Ashland Super 8, bring this letter at check in for discount and is valid only Ashland, OR.. location only during (Sun-Thur.).

Once, again, we do apologize for your unpleasant stay and any inconvenience we may have caused you. Please feel welcome at our hotel in your future travel.

Super 8 Ashland, OR.
G.M./Customer Service
Site #03993

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were put off by the other reviews, then we got here and were pleasantly surprised. We cannot abide any type of room odors (past cigarette). I was pleased at the start with having to sign a portion of the check-in form agreeing to a $300 fine if I smoked in the room. We got to our 3rd level room and it was spotless and very clean. All of the furnishings: fridge, M/W, desks, beds etc. were in excellent shape. The air room conditioner was quiet and efficient. Yes the hall carpets are worn, there is no elevator, the breakfast is very basic, but I didn't pay for a resort. Very pleased. We will come back here again to enjoy the pleasures of Ashland.

Room Tip: We were in room 302, very quiet. Would make a good home base for a longer stay.
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank wl H
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Good prices; fairly clean but needs updating.
Staff is always helpful; have stayed here many times.
Like the new eating area!

Room Tip: Just ask for the quietest place and they'll find it for you.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
Reviewed June 23, 2012

What a dump. However, the quality of the room is nothing when compared to the behavior of the front desk. "Jan" was insolent and rude. I do not recommend

• Stayed June 2012

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I'll never go back. Had 3 days scheduled but got my $ back for last 2 days and went across hwy to Best Western for $45 more. The carpet was ancient and dirty, mattress had large yellow circular stains covering much of it, chairs were stained, heater/ac was full of dirt ( took front cover off when I smelled dust burning) and when I asked them to clean it they said they didn't have a vacuum with a hose to suck the dirt thru a screen it was piled up behind. It was a lot of dirt, yrs worth I'm sure. Room was just filthy and a tv channel I like didn't have volume so I went to a diff room and it was worse yet. The mgr offered me a suite, but I got out next morning. Just gross, and didn't get breakfast cuz they blew a fuse so toaster and juice machine weren't working, but didn't feel safe eating it anyway. One nice lady working there felt bad and I felt sorry for her having to work there, but place is old, run down, dirty, not maintained, they have no maintenance man cuz I asked for one to clean heater. Never again.

Room Tip: Best Western
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John P
Danville, Ca
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed at this Super 8 on a number of occasions and use it as our base when attending the theater productions of the fine Oregon Shakespeare Festival. While the hotel is definitely lacking in charm or character, we have found our rooms to be consistently comfortable and clean. Each room has free internet connection, a cable TV, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and a safe. The hotel has an indoor pool and a complimentary continental breakfast. There are nice, moderately priced restaurants nearby and the Festival theaters and the downtown shopping district are less than a 10 minute drive. We have noticed that they have retained the same helpful staff for a number of years; always a sign of good management. We have found the Super 8 to be the lowest price accommodations in Ashland and a very good value

Room Tip: Rooms on the third (top) floor are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David M
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We booked 2 nights online but came in 1 night earlier than planned. They were very accommodating, and gave us a good price too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family