We reserved this place looking for a dreamy place to celebrate our anniversary and instead got a nightmare. Other than the view and beach access, which yes, are as pictured/described, we had these issues:
1) NOT CLEAN: We are not clean freaks, but this place grossed us out. All of the towels were incredibly musty/moldy smelling and many were stained or ragged. There is mildew growing in the showers, and there is so little air circulation possible within the rental that it has a generally moldy/musty feel - we even started to have upper respiratory reactions while we were there. We found leftover items from previous guests including clothing in the dresser and food in the refrigerator/freezer. Some of the lesser used items in the kitchen actually had a layer of dust on them while others were a little greasy. The dish scrubber sponge in the kitchen was so old the scrubber part was completely pilled up. Lastly, there were full dog poop sacks tossed just off the back of the deck on the side of the house - perhaps not too surprising since there was no obvious place other than the kitchen garbage can to dispose of this waste.
2) PRIVACY LACKING: This rental is essentially the other half of a house. There are solid french doors in the living room that connect the two. While these are kept closed during your stay, they are a little flimsy and we could hear muffled conversations and kids playing on the other side in addition to smelling whatever they were cooking. At the front entry-way (shared with the other half) a curtain-less kitchen window looks directly through the rental, and another curtain-less window/front door looks directly into the front bath. It’s a little creepy.
3) NOT QUITE AS DESCRIBED: The “fully equipped kitchen” is only fully equipped if you mostly mean castoffs from someone else’s 1990 kitchen. Many obvious things were missing such as chef and paring knives, frying pans, and the lid to the blender. In addition, we counted on the promised “in-unit laundry machines”, but when we asked where they were, found out they weren’t included even though the write-up for this unit clearly lists them as available in two spots.
4) LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM: Since the manager’s family used to run this rental as a B&B, we expected this part to be easy for them, but there were many stumbles. For example, upon check-in, we were informed that a previous guest had left with the rear (beach) door key. Yet, there did not seem to be any effort to re-key this door which would have seemed appropriate - particularly after the manager related a story about having people come up off the beach to the house to peer into it through the windows/doors. Then, there were many things that were just absent - matches to light a fire in the fireplace and soaps for the shower in the main bath. Finally, a number of things, rather than being topped off and ready for our multiple night stay were instead running on empty with no replacements: kleenex (we got 1), dish soap (1 wash), salt & pepper, lightbulbs burned out. Also, the skylight by the fireplace leaked when it rained.
5) LIGHT - too much AND too little!: The bedroom ceiling is just a continuation of the open vaulted ceiling throughout most of the rental. Sounds great until you try to sleep there. Then the morning light coming through the several skylights will awaken you at dawn. On the other side of the coin, when it gets dark, most of the lighting in the kitchen and living room is indirect. While this is nice for creating mood, sometimes you just want to be able to see what you are doing, and it can feel a little dark and dim.