“Utterly wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 4 Arch Cape B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Washington
“Utterly wonderful”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Arch Cape Inn & Retreat (the name a bit confusing with Inn at Arch Cape across the road) is truly a retreat--wonderful breakfast,extremely clean, each room individually and beautifully decorated, late afternoon wine and appetizers, and just a few minutes from Cannon Beach. My friend and I enjoyed three much needed days of relaxation and comfort. Please spend some time there, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gauguin room; it had a picturesque view of the ocean. All rooms have gas fireplace...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 2-travelers-19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the inn in May 2012 and had the most fantastic time. The inn is just as beautiful as the photos show. The three-course breakfast was amazing and we were completely stuffed heading out to hike. No need to eat again until the wine and cheese hour. We also enjoyed visiting with other guests at breakfast and wine hour. The owner called to check on us the day we were checking in. She wanted us to know that is was the first sunny weekend in months and all the restaurants were crazy and we should eat where we were in Astoria. We appreciated the advice and her checking on us. The staff gave us great directions for secret parking to get to Haystack Rock. Lots of advice on what to see and where to visit. Inn was quiet and restful. We took great naps after hiking. Easy walk to the beach and very private. Not crowded like Cannon Beach!! I would absolutely stay there again and highly recommend the inn to anyone!!

Room Tip: Choosing a room is half the fun. I loved looking at all the photos and amenities for each room. We c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington, USA
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend last month in the Tuscan Spa room. We cannot say enough about this room! We own a home remodel and repair business, and after working all week, the wet sauna and HUGE open shower was beyond fantastic. We used both SEVERAL times. The room is beautifully done in travertine tile. My husband was VERY IMPRESSED with the workmanship that went into this room, and he is very hard to impress. This room also has its own private entrance through a door that any castle would be proud of. We had complete privacy as well as covered parking. The bed was heavenly. We both woke up each morning well rested. Both mornings the breakfasts were to die for; with plenty of orange juice and coffee. There was so much food, I couldn't finish it all so hubby did. We were also given recommendations to local restaurants with food to die for. The entire property was gorgeous, and I was able to sneak a peek at a few of the rooms that weren't occupied. And the most impressive thing of all; everything was spotless! So rare these days in a BnB or at least that has been our experience. We will most definitely be back!!

Room Tip: cannot recommend the Tuscan Spa Room enough!!! Perfect for a romantic, relaxing weekend away. :)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glen_Angie4u
stephen m, Owner at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Glen_Angie4u

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our Inn on TripAdvisor. All of us are delighted to hear your kind words. I'm happy that you had such a wonderful time at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, and hope you come stay with us again soon.

All the best,
Stephen Malkowski
Owner
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This place is definitely a nice place but there were things about it that, most likely, will mean we will not spend money here again. To be fair, the rooms are beautiful and unique. Our room was the one with the white and blue color theme, and bohemian bed. It was clean, although there were a couple of spots in the bathroom that I was suspicious about. The little couch is comfortable but... well... little. My husband is very tall so we could not really enjoy the couch experience. The breakfast was good though in itsy bitsy portions that will not carry you through the day if you are experiencing the outdoors Oregon beach. The dinner (which you have to buy if you stay the night - kind of annoying) was good but very overpriced. I did like that they used the leftovers in the next morning's breakfast and did not let them go to waste but you could certainly have the same dinner somewhere else, for less money. The dining room is fun though, and it is good to see and meet the other guests. The grounds are also beautiful and the beach is a very short walk away. It's worth a try especially for a special occasion but be prepared to shell out some serious cash.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robinak
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 25, 2012

While planning our honeymoon on the West Coast, my fiancee stumbled across the Arch Cape Inn website. We've both stayed at "high end " hotels and properties (B&Bs) over the years, and was still impressed by the accomodations and service at this beautiful inn. We're an older couple in our 50's, so the north Oregon coast fit our honeymoon needs perfectly; quiet, relaxing, breathtaking, and beautiful beyond words. From the outside, the architecture of the property was absolutely beautiful. The room we stayed in (Tower Room) was the perfect "honeymoon" setting. I'll be honest that we were there during the "off season", with only 2 other rooms occupied (3 of 10). With that said, we felt like we had the inn to ourselves, and yet at the same time the service was "over the top". We arrived early on Sunday and was greeted by Teresa, who was an absolute angel. She made sure we had extra everything and prepared us our own afternoon snack tray of cheese, olives, artichoke hearts, crackers and wine. We spent the day exploring the property and the surrounding area of Cannon Beach (lots of neat little shops). Returning to the inn later in the day, we hung out in the common area within the inn which made us feel like we were staying at a castle in Europe. During our stay (3 nights), we were served each morning a three course breakfast (included) that was absolutly delicious. Very healthy, and yet tasty beyond words. OK, so I've probably gone on enough about the Inn. The bottom line... Arch Cape Inn is more than a place to stay...it's an experience. Again, the architecture, room, common areas, dining area, food, and service were exceptional. Thank you so much to the owners and staff at the Arch Cape for making our "honeymoon" a memory to last a lifetime...

Room Tip: Our experienced was based soley on the Tower Room which was just perfect for a couple on their honey...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim C

Thank you for choosing Arch Cape Inn & Retreat for your Honeymoon. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your first stay at our Inn. My staff and I truly appreciate your compliments about the service, food, staff and rooms - glad you also liked the exquisitely delicious breakfasts!

Looking forward to hosting you on your 1 year anniversary!.

Best Regards,
Stephen Malkowski
Owner
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the Lighthouse Room. While the main building, the hospitality of the staff lived up to the reviews and my expectations this room and the overall services did not. The person I talked to on booking told me this room was 'one of the most popular' but I found out after arriving it is, a 'summer overflow room' accessed from outside the building... used to be staff accommodation. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, but otherwise small and very basic....definitely not 'large or luxurious'. The only heat source was a noisy thermostat controlled hot air unit. Choice of off, quiet and cold or on, warm and noisy. Had been advised I needed to book dinner as part of my stay so timed my arrival accordingly and was somewhat put out to be told that the restaurant wasn't open for the season yet. Problem seems to have been that my booking was taken by a third party reservation agent rather than a member of staff. I had advised I was travelling with a pet but that information never made it through to the staff of the Inn... who did kindly run around and gather things when we arrived. Did get an excellent local recommendation for dinner but would have preferred not to have to drive back out again after a long day travelling. The complimentary in-room refreshments were bottles of water. Hot water for tea/hot chocolate was available in the main house... but no milk. Coffee was supposed to be available at 7.30 in the main house but on the morning of my departure by 8.00 no caffeine provider had appeared. A member of staff had kindly put together a take out bagged breakfast the night before as I was planning to leave before 9.00 when breakfast is served. Based on my experience I would not return or feel comfortable in recommending.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank su_n0_e
stephen m, Owner at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest from Vancouver: Thank you for your review of our Inn as well as for affording us the opportunity to be of service to you and your pet during your visit to Cannon Beach. Though your experience was not entirely as you expected, we will use this feedback to better our services.

Often, especially when the Inn is completely full, many guests chose our modest Lighthouse room. This is the first mention of any issue with this room and our policy is to always immediately address any problem upon discovery. Thank you for letting us know.

Also, please accept our most sincere apologies for the handling of your reservation. We understand how one would feel when their needs were not anticipated and we must respond appropriately. Clearly, in this case, our reservation system failed to provide you, and our staff, with clear and accurate information.

Sometimes, when we are giving our full attention to onsite guests, telephone reservations are handled by our off-site reservation agents. In almost every case they provide an outstanding level of service for our guests. In this case, it appears they missed the mark. I will follow up with them to insure they are up to speed so future guests are not similarly inconvenienced.

I was pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed our staff’s nearby restaurant recommendations as well as having accommodated your early to-go breakfast need.
It was indeed a pleasure hosting you and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the very near future to offer you the full Arch Cape Inn and Retreat experience.

Please contact me personally on your next visit to Cannon Beach and I will ensure the details of your entire stay are attended to in a way that fully meets all of your expectations.
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We spent two nights in the Tower Room celebrating my wife's birthday here.
I owned and managed a vacation rental house for ten years in Cannon Beach and never regretted selling it just to get out of the work and worry. After that we would visit regularly and felt we were really splurging when staying at one of the local resorts or rentals.
This was a google search discovery for a return now that the kids have moved out and just a romantic weekend for the two of us. Great weather, whale sightings, a beautiful establishment, awesome breakfasts and really delightful hosts. We loved everything about it. Sorry dinner was not offered this time of year but the local restaurants are great and we may not have gotten out as much as we did if it had been.
Not inexpensive, but great memories are priceless and many of the rooms are very affordable.
Arch Cape Inn and Retreat with a late stop to Newmans at 988 Restaurant will be our indulgence from now on when visiting Cannon Beach. Indulge yourself . . . You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The "Tower Room" must be the one Rapunzel let down her hair from. We loved it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
stephen m, Owner at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of our Inn after your recent visit and are happy to hear how you enjoyed our property, staff, amenities and our local recommendations. We do work hard to provide great experiences for all of our guests and it sounds as though it all came together wonderfully for you and your wife.

Thank you for choosing our Inn and we look forward to providing continued great memories in the very near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arch Cape
#10 of 14 in Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
#8 of 14 in Cannon Beach

Been to Arch Cape Inn & Retreat? Share your experiences!