“My nieces wedding was amazing there...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Applegate
Applegate River Lodge
Coos Bay, Oregon
“My nieces wedding was amazing there...”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

And They did a wonderful job making it beautiful and a memory that I know I will be taking away and cherishing forever!! What a perfect setting,...beautiful and peaceful. The river on its lazy stroll,..the kitty who visited eveyone..And the ROOMS!!! WOW!!! They were fabulous! <3

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank christyangers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Roseburg, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a wonderful experience! Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to come and stay at the lodge and celebrate the wedding of our son! It was so beautiful and relaxing! Even though there was a couple little snags I appreciate you jumping right on them and finding a solution! There was no waiting, just quick and heartfelt service! I would recommend your lodge to anyone who wants to have a wedding or just get away! From the moment we got there till we walked out the door, staff was right there to make sure that we had what we needed....if something needed to be done, it was staff that got right on it! Thank you so much for a weekend to remember!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TammyB1969
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My family and I stumbled upon this beautiful little blessing this November. We have traveled all over the world, and it is truly one of the most amazing places we have ever been.

We chose this place was because of the number of people in our party. We got the 2 bedroom lofts, up stairs. We had my daughter, siblings and mom with us. It was great. Mom, sister and son played card games and spent quality time around the fire while my brother and I went wine tasting for the day. Loved that we could come back and relax in the hot Jacuzzi tubs (that are in every room) and have a nice dinner in great, cozy restaurant next door. (wonderful food)

The magic truly lies in the family who built and operates the lodge - and of course the innate loveliness of the lodge itself and its majestic setting. (Built right on the Applegate river, each room with a deck and view close to water) We all got to know the owners and their children, and each of them were so genuine, kind and just a kick in the pants. We will return to see our new friends!

We were lucky enough to stay on a night that the lodge had music. When we called to book our stay, the women made sure we knew it was a “music night”. That was just a bonus for us!!! We figured it would be some house band, or a couple of strumming guitarists. On the contrary. It was one of the finest musical events we have ever attended. It was the icing on the cake for us, and the highlight of our road trip.

The Applegate River Lodge is truly a gem, and for those of you looking for a unique, beautiful and amazing place to stay – it is a must! For those of you (as I see below) that are looking to stay at the Hilton, my advise to you is to stay at the Hilton…and let people like my family (who enjoy life, kindness and beauty) stay at The Applegate. More for us!

Thank you again, it was truly a blessing that we found the Applegate lodge, and will be back!!
Love,
Krissy Hamilton and family

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Sportsman" Room, and it was terrific!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Krissy H
Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I absolutely loved this place! If you are an "off the beaten path" pet-friendly traveler, that appreciates being welcomed like family, hanging with the locals in a relaxed, beautiful river setting, enjoys incredible food and service, cool music and fun people; then you'll probably love it too. I just read the reviews upon returning home, and had to laugh. Really? Animal House? Granted, if you are stuffy, uptight, and are looking for constant pampering or complete isolation and solitude; this place probably isn't for you. I have allergies, hate bugs, and am a bit of a neat-freak, and found it clean, ( I used their soap, shampoo, and conditioner...lol!) comfortable, and very quiet unless there is music. The music was good, over relatively early; the people that came were very friendly, and well behaved. I am a very light sleeper, and I slept great both nights. The restaurant is a story all in itself. I spent over three weeks in Oregon, ( Portland, Bandon, Coos Bay, Eugene, Medford, Talent, Jacksonville) and the one meal I had at this lodge was by far the best of my trip! My friend and I shared the gorgonzola shrimp, insalata caprese, curried vegetable soup, the catch of the day, (swordfish) and for dessert; chocolate cheesecake with a Kahlua and coffee. Superb! From the first class service, the presentation, the freshness of the ingredients, and the fish prepared to melt-in-your-mouth perfection...mmm! Dining al fresco, overlooking the river, under a blanket of stars with good company. What more could you ask for? Casual elegance at it's best! This place is surrounded by beauty, and vineyards that I have yet to explore. We were only planning to stay one night to decompress, and had to tear ourselves away on the third afternoon; so I could make my flight home. Thank you, Davis family! I will be back;)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank czmrocks
Sandy, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I just read the review describing this place as an animal house and I have to strongly disagree with their assesment. Ive been coming down here from Sandy for 3 to 4 days every 2 weeks since March for business. Except for Wednesday nights when they have music (which I have allways been warned about) the lodge is peaceful and quiet. Sometimes the music is mellow and relaxing and sometimes it can be a bit loud depending on the band and the crowd that came to see the music. I was here the night the earlier review was complaining about and have to agree it was a bit loud that night but not to the extent they stated. There were a lot of people here for the music but most left shortly after the band quit at 11:30. There was one room of guests that was loud late into the night but they were not locals but friends of the band that came from out of town. I don't know what the person who complained experienced but I didn't hear much that night and slept fine. Any night without music is very peaceful and quiet. I get a lot of work done when I'm down here. I strongly recoment this lodge.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Peter K
Ashland, OR
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Be warned:
If you are looking for a quiet rustic get-away, this is NOT the place for you. However, if you are looking spend a minimum of $100, recreate "Animal House" and stay with what is obviously a private party shack for drunken locals to do whatever they want, whenever they want, then this is the place for you.

If you look at the website, Applegate River Lodge looks like the ideal romantic getaway: rustic lodge, set on a peaceful river, away from the maddening civilization, surrounded by a variety of wineries. Sounds perfect. Each of the lodge's seven rooms is uniquely decorated by a different PNW theme.

We made reservations for midweek, thinking it would be less hectic, for our anniversary. We considered it a plus to find out there was to be live entertainment that evening so we thought we'd enjoy some music and spend a relaxing night in our own room. On the phone, the owner assured us that this artist typically drew a milder crowd, but there might be some noise from the bar afterwards. No problem. With that in mind, she placed us in a room, away from the bar.

We arrived about 2pm for our check-in. They were remodeling the adjoining restaurant, but told us we'd be able to get a meal after 6pm. We checked into the Miner's Room. It was spacious, rustically decorated with a large bath and access to the deck. We spent some time on the deck, enjoyed the river and the quiet natural ambiance of the lodge. Soon we were overcome with such strong gasoline fumes from the restaurant area where people were remodeling that we decided to go out to explore the Applegate area and to visit some wineries. We returned for dinner at 6pm.

At 9pm the music started and we went into the main lobby area where people were already congregating. The crowd was pretty much what we expected. We soon realized that many were Applegate locals who knew each other. By 10:30 we noticed people entering the lodge with sleeping bags, luggage, and coolers.

We went to our lower level room close to midnight, after the music ended. We expected to hear a little bar noise for a bit, as the owner had told us. We tried to go to sleep over the continual noise coming from the decks, both next to and above us as well as the noise and singing from the obviously large group of people who were residing in the room above us. We were literally jolted out of bed by 2 hours of continuous banging, jumping, stomping that shook the entire lodge. Combined with the drunken yelling, throwing objects, loud singing, I was reminded of my early dorm years on a much larger scale. At 2am we considered leaving because the shaking of the room and bed was overwhelming. We stayed awake for another 2 hours. There are no phones in the room, no one at the desk to notify. Just as we thought the banging and ruckus was dissipating, the crowd moved to the lower level where they banged on the piano and sang off key while cackling drunk women ran up and down the halls outside our room.

It was one of the most miserable experiences we've ever had anywhere in the world. When we took our key to the desk at 10am after what seemed like a short nap there was no one there. We dropped the key and left.

As far as I am concerned, the Applegate River Lodge completely misrepresents itself on their website. Don't be fooled like we were.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
56 Thank TJAsk

Travelers are raving about these Applegate hotels

Belmont, CA
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I must start out by saying....My husband and I loved this place. But it's not for everyone. We booked our room here since we were seeing a couple of bands that were playing here. On the way up from CA I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and cracked up. How could the reviews be so diametrically opposed? I was worried about the comments about the place being dirty, but thought there had to be some explanation of the extreme comments. Now I get it. first off, put those worries aside. Rooms are clean and there is both soap and shampoo. No there are no stall showers but the rooms have enormous jacuzzi tubs with shower attachments. You will not need to go unwashed. also there is a restaurant that serves excellent food. We ate dinner there 2 nights and the service and the food were great. There is a large deck that adjoins the restaurant and bar area and it's a hopping spot. And here's the thing .... This isn't a quiet little bed and breakfast on the river. This a destination for people coming to see music, and there can be people....mostly young hanging out , drinking beer and playing instruments into the wee hours. The bands pack up but the party doesnt necessarily end. The folks who run the place are very friendly and accommodating and it seems to be run a little more like a community than an inn . No there wasn't always someone in the office, and no there wasnt someone to help with our bags, and no our room didn't get cleaned on the morning of day 2, but we had a great visit. The grounds are spacious and friendly folks were hanging out with dogs on and off leash. Our pup had the run of the place and the cafe across the road made great breakfast.

Each room has a name and porches that overlook the river. It's beautiful and we spent a few hours just sitting and watching the river. Our room was on the ground floor next to the public bathroom and yes we had people lining up outside our room waiting to use it, which might wig you out, but it's all just part of the funkiness of the place (and I don't mean smell). Everyone we met was friendly and interesting and we would definitely go back. If you are looking for prim and proper it's not for you. If you like rustic with a funky, laid back atmosphere I think you'll enjoy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank hentis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Applegate
The Lodge at Riverside
#2 of 18 in Grants Pass
Weasku Inn
Weasku Inn
#1 of 15 in Grants Pass

Been to Applegate River Lodge? Share your experiences!