“You're going to love it or you're going to hate it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Applegate
Applegate River Lodge
Belmont, CA
“You're going to love it or you're going to hate it”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I must start out by saying....My husband and I loved this place. But it's not for everyone. We booked our room here since we were seeing a couple of bands that were playing here. On the way up from CA I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and cracked up. How could the reviews be so diametrically opposed? I was worried about the comments about the place being dirty, but thought there had to be some explanation of the extreme comments. Now I get it. first off, put those worries aside. Rooms are clean and there is both soap and shampoo. No there are no stall showers but the rooms have enormous jacuzzi tubs with shower attachments. You will not need to go unwashed. also there is a restaurant that serves excellent food. We ate dinner there 2 nights and the service and the food were great. There is a large deck that adjoins the restaurant and bar area and it's a hopping spot. And here's the thing .... This isn't a quiet little bed and breakfast on the river. This a destination for people coming to see music, and there can be people....mostly young hanging out , drinking beer and playing instruments into the wee hours. The bands pack up but the party doesnt necessarily end. The folks who run the place are very friendly and accommodating and it seems to be run a little more like a community than an inn . No there wasn't always someone in the office, and no there wasnt someone to help with our bags, and no our room didn't get cleaned on the morning of day 2, but we had a great visit. The grounds are spacious and friendly folks were hanging out with dogs on and off leash. Our pup had the run of the place and the cafe across the road made great breakfast.

Each room has a name and porches that overlook the river. It's beautiful and we spent a few hours just sitting and watching the river. Our room was on the ground floor next to the public bathroom and yes we had people lining up outside our room waiting to use it, which might wig you out, but it's all just part of the funkiness of the place (and I don't mean smell). Everyone we met was friendly and interesting and we would definitely go back. If you are looking for prim and proper it's not for you. If you like rustic with a funky, laid back atmosphere I think you'll enjoy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank hentis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay. Very casual and friendly with very comfortable and spacious rooms. We came to visit a friend who lives in the area which has a lot of great farms and new vineyards . Breakfast is limited.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Woody59
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed in the "Honeymoon Suite" for one night, room was noisy dirty and didn't have a shower, "continental breakfast" included moldy muffins, they can't be bothered with customer service here, owner is very rude and doesn't care about guests.

• Stayed June 2011
18 Thank RollingStone1973

Travelers are raving about these Applegate hotels

Gold Beach, Oregon
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We checked in two hours early which the lady at the desk was excited about because she needed to go run errands. However, when we walked into the room it had not been cleaned, which was fine because we were going to go exploring anyways. After an exhausting day, my husband and I were excited to get back and crawl into bed. When we walked into the room around 8 pm the bed was already being slept in. We went to the front desk where we found an empty beer can and a sign that said to go next door for the manager. She came over, kicked the man out of the room (after asking if he had used the bathroom), and said she would change the sheets (apparently for the third time that day????). We asked if we could have another room, she said she didn't have any more made-up. At this point we should have just asked for our money back and found a new place to stay. We instead gave them the benefit of the doubt and decided it couldn't be that bad. The room was nicely decorated, but needed a deep cleaning. We were afraid to touch anything because of the grime. There was a nest of ants in the shower attachment to the tub and they did not give you a clean bath mat to step out onto. We would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
20 Thank beachbreakbandit
Oregon Coast
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We couldn't be more pleased with the peace and quiet. We stayed in the honeymoon suit. The jacousi was very soothing. The candles showed attention to detail. The bed was the best I ever slept on. The hot chocolate, hot apple cider, hot coffee and a variety of hot teas available day and night complimented the bagels and cream cheese in the reception area. We could not have had more privacy in our own home, located on the border of a national forest. We are looking forward to returning and taking family members with us.

• Liked — Peace & quiet - privacy & beauty
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HappyGrandpa
California
Reviewed March 21, 2007

One of the best places in the Southern Oregon Area...Food was great rooms were wonderful and we will be booking our wedding here. The owners were there to greet us and to make sure that the stay was first class! Their website has some wonderful free appitizers! Highly recommend as the food is great! 5 star all the way!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ronel57
Southern California
Reviewed August 23, 2006

If you are looking for a quiet geteway this is not the place. Where do I begin? When my wife and I first arrived we waiting at the desk for a good period of time. No bell but we knocked on the desk, said hellooo? Finally, a man shows up but can't find our reservation. We have to help him look at his books and finally find just a phone number (no names) that was used for us. The room is somewhat charming with a view overlooking the river but queen bed is upstairs in a loft where its very warm in the summer. There is a twin bed downstairs where there is an air conditioner so its a little bit cooler down there. Lights are sparse and not very bright so I found it hard to read. No T.V. but it didnt matter to us because this was a getaway to somewhere remote. There is no soap or shampoo in the place so better bring your own. After 10 pm, I hear banging sounds to discover kids jumping up and down on the floor downstairs and running up and downstairs yelling. I make a complaint to (owner/desk clerk) guy and his only remark well it must be "nighty-night time". Turns out that what I think are other guests making the noise is his family and/or friends. The noise goes away until about 11:30 pm when I hear rock music being played from somewhere down below or from the other side of the room. I thought it was another guest at the lodge since the room has small boom boxes, turns out it was near the check in desk which is down below our room. The music went on past midnight and I decide to pack up and stay somewhere else. The guy from the check-in desk asks me if I am leaving and I say yes...it seems to me someone is having a party and blasting music next door. His response is "we just want to have fun"....huh??? If you make any complaint he doesn't seem to really care and doest seem to want to rectify the situation. I came back the next morning to turn in the key and tell him I am not staying another night. My wife voices complaints to him and he says he doesnt want to get into with us but follows us out the door and taunts us about partying and how late do you party where you come from...

• Liked — Location near river
  • Disliked — Male owner/desk clerk is very unpleasant, rude and arrogant.
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go here!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
46 Thank bnkenobi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Applegate
Best Western Grants Pass Inn
Magnolia Inn
Magnolia Inn
#3 of 8 in Jacksonville
Country House Inns Jacksonville

Been to Applegate River Lodge? Share your experiences!