“Dinner is OK, desserts are excellent.”

Novak's Hungarian Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 150 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: German, Hungarian, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: At Novak's Hungarian Restaurant, we have been proud to provide an authentic Hungarian dining experience to the Albany area. We use the freshest ingredients and the richest flavors to bring you a truly unique dining experience. Our founders, Joseph and Matilda Novak immigrated to the United States from Hungary in 1957. They are proud to of brought traditional Hungarian recipes with them. Our signature dishes are bound to leave you wanting more. Try our cabbage rolls, chicken paprika, or kolbasz sausages! Take advantage of our lunch buffet from Monday through Saturday, or our dinner buffet from Monday through Thursday. We are also an artisan bakery and would love to make a special pastry or dessert for you. Are you looking to cater your next event? Novak's Hungarian Restaurant is the perfect choice for small and large catering events. Drop-in today and have a meal with us. At Novak's Hungarian Restaurant, you're family.
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Portions are large, carb filled, gravy topped and meaty. Is the food great? Not really. The food is plentiful and reasonably priced, and for a certain clientele that is enough. Best restaurant in Albany? Not for my money.

Desserts are simply excellent. Worth dropping in just for them or for takeout. As good as quality homemade. Best desserts for the money in the area.

There are newer reviews for Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Novak's Restaurant is where we take our family when they come to visit from out of state. They use famiy recipes to make cabbage rolls and spaetzle and always make everyone feel welcome.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

We dropped in on a whim early on a Wednesday evening before driving back to the coast. My husband had a glass of wine and I enjoyed an Hungarian beer - some kind of light lager.

We were just about ready to order then decided to ask about the hot trays that a staff member was setting up. Our server said that was a buffet which included two types of salad and the first four items on the menu, plus red cabbage and pearl noodles. Well, since both of us like to eat(!), we opted for the buffet. We each added a cup of soup to our meals, which our server promptly brought.

The entree items on the buffet were Chicken Paprikas ... Beef Porkolt ... Szekely Toltoh Kaposzta ... Kolbasz. In English, they were chicken pieces in a paprika sauce, cubed sirloin tip in sauce, pork cabbage rolls and pork sausage.

Everything was absolutely delicious! The chicken paprikas was just out of this world - tender with an excellent flavorful sauce. I cannot remember when I've had cabbage rolls that were as good as these, and although I usually skip the sausage, I had two pieces since they were so good. The Hungarian pearl noodles were incredibly light and also tasted wonderful. Really, everything was just soooo good :-)

Even the salads were good. There was the standard green salad with romaine lettuce and also a Hungarian marinated cucumber salad, which was very tasty. The soup was the only item that was very slightly disappointing. It was Hungarian chicken and it was fine, just not outstanding. It tasted much like a chicken and noodle soup at any restaurant.

So, you'd think after all that food, we'd skip dessert, right? But no, it looked so wonderful we just had to get some to take home!

We ordered the Dobos Torta, Csokolate Torta and an order of European cheesecake. The two tortas were quite good, different from standard American torte cakes. The cheesecake was wonderful - incredibly rich and creamy and again, quite different from the "normal" cheesecake one gets in a restaurant.

The restaurant itself is pleasant and comfortable, with white linen napkins which add a classy touch. Even on a Wednesday, they were fairly busy and we enjoyed the fact that it was very quiet inside. There was no loud music and people seemed to be respectful of the quiet atmosphere and talked softly to each other at their tables.

Warning though -- if you are a light eater into "organics" and that sort of food, you probably won't like it here! This is hearty food and we noticed the regular entree portions were large and filling, although they do offer "lite" versions of most of their entrees.

Overall, we had a fantastic dinner with great food in a pleasant, quiet atmosphere. Just delightful!

2  Thank half-Brit
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I don't know what to say about this place I have been comming to this place for 25 years now and will probably never tire of their food. I take my daughter there every valentines day and we both get the same thing Chicken dumpling soup and Chicken Paprikas, with a malna to wash it down with. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank hunngggry
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant with our two young girls after reading the reviews and we are incredibly glad we did! We LOVED the place! Great service! and scrumptious food. I had the Shepherd's Combo with included the stuffed cabbage rolls, Chicken cutlets with a creamy sauce, Beef and noodles and a sausage. My husband had these tasty meatballs and the girls devoured their homemade mac and cheese.We also started with the chicken pate and ended with honey cake. I could not stop eating because the food was so incredible. We were passing through and had quite the drive ahead and took several cookies with us on the road which were little buttery bites of heaven. We can't wait to go again!

2  Thank alcedonia