“I wanted to love it.”

Novak's Hungarian Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 157 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: German, Hungarian, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: At Novak’s Hungarian Restaurant, we have been proud to provide an authentic Hungarian dining experience to the Albany area. We use the freshest ingredients and the richest flavors to bring you a truly unique dining experience. Our founders, Joseph and Matilda Novak immigrated to the United States from Hungary in 1957. They are proud to of brought traditional Hungarian recipes with them. Our signature dishes are bound to leave you wanting more. Try our cabbage rolls, chicken paprika, or kolbasz sausages! Take advantage of our lunch buffet from Monday through Saturday, or our dinner buffet from Monday through Thursday. We are also an artisan bakery and would love to make a special pastry or dessert for you. Are you looking to cater your next event? Novak’s Hungarian Restaurant is the perfect choice for small and large catering events. Drop-in today and have a meal with us. At Novak’s Hungarian Restaurant, you’re family.
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I've been to Novak's twice now, and I really wanted to love it, seeing as it's a beloved institution here in Albany. But... I didn't. The first time we went, they were short staffed and it showed. Our server couldn't deal with the stress and we did not have the relaxing dinner we were hoping for. The second time was much better, we had the same server and it was much more relaxing. I had the same dish both times -- pork medallions with a blue cheese sauce. The first time, the blue cheese sauce was divine and had me dreaming of how I could replicate it at home. Unfortunately, the dish was nearly too salty to eat the second time.

The soup that comes with the meal doesn't have much flavor. The cold-bread basket is boring. The mashed potatoes are pretty good.

So, that's two very uneven experiences and I doubt we will go again. It's much too costly for the quality.

Reviewed October 7, 2008

I just love going over to Albany to Novak's! The service is top notch and the staff is very friendly. The cuisine is true Hungarian. The desserts are simply delish. An overall satisfying dining experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2008

Our annual visit to Albany found us returning to Novak's where we had enjoyed a good meal last summer. We started with deep fried vegetable trio which was delicious. We had Gulyas Stew, A chicken special with red curry coconut sauce, a side of sweet and sour red cabbage and a special that had mushrooms. The cucumber tomato salad was tasty as was the navy bean soup as well as the chicken noodle soup. The Langos (fried bread similar to Indian Bread or Elephant ears) was delicious. They had 3 vegetarian specials. We didn't have anything we didn't find delightful. Sadly we were to full to try any dessert. We'd highly recommend the restaurant and hope to return again in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2008

We chose to eat a holiday dinner around Christmastime 2007 at Novak's. They were very pleasant and accommodating to my two small grandsons. The food was delicious (I would drive miles for galushka) and the desserts fabulous (Hungarian pastry is MUCH better than Viennese pastry!) In addition to the makos torte mentioned above, try the Dobos torte and the Pithivier.

I have traveled to both Budapest and Vienna several times, and would have to say that this food was a close approximation in terms of variety, and definitely fresh ingredients. They even had Tokay Furmint wine. Soups are excellent, as well as gulyas (porkolt)----I ate a veal dish that was superb.

My family and I have decided to make this an annual tradition. They live just down the street and could go anytime; it really deserves more than a once-a-year visit. Prices are moderate, considering the quality of the food. This is a real gem in an out-of-the-way place.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Hearty dinners (I love spaetzle), great breakfast pastries.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook