“Everything I look for”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I have had umpteen experiences at The Original Breakfast over the course of the last 4 years.
I have to say it is rare to find an establishment so determined to give the public the finest and most delicious breakfast around...

I have enjoyed a variety of the menu items on a regular basis and would consider myself a "hearty" eater. I have NEVER left hungry. Quite the contrary, I more often then not have to enjoy the take home leftovers later in the day or for a nice breakfast the next morning...Something about FRESH and quality ingredients seem to warm up pretty well, and I have found no better breakfast to have twice, then this. I cannot speak for everyone, but I like REAL Canadian Bacon on my eggs Benedict, and I appreciate the flair and consistent quality in the weekend specialties, really a true delight and one which cannot be found elsewhere in this community... Think Gourmet quality on a blue collar budget and you will appreciate what a value even the more pricey items on the menu may appear at first glance. One bite of the homemade goodness will have you thinking..., "this is the place you wanna take your guests, or simply have a nice, traditional quality breakfast and enjoy the fresh orange juice or really good house coffee.. which I hear is specially blended for this particular restaurant. Either way, you wont go wrong.
The service... wow! What can I say, The owners certainly ensures the best when it comes to courtesy, consistency and literally at the moment I walk in to the time I leave, I am treated cheerfully and professionally. It is a treat to see the staff engaging in the tasks at hand, and watching them as they work like a well oiled machine. From the Hosts, to the servers and chefs I feel glad to have spent my money, filled my tummy and supported the best breakfast in Albany Ore!!!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We selected this spot for breakfast based on other favorable internet recommendations. The chef takes pride in his sourcing of local ingredients and preparation from scratch.
I have no complaints about the food. I had a simple breakfast of eggs and country fries. All delicious. My husband's omelette was good, though an odd conglomeration of ingredients - italian sausage, black olives, mushrooms and fresh (very) spinach - it wasn't even wilted from the heat of the other ingredients - not sure how they managed that…
The latte I ordered (just $2 - a bargain) was NOT good. When I ordered it, our server asked what flavor? Uh…plain? I guess they don't get a lot of coffee lovers here. No wonder because the espresso was bitter and lacked character. Oh well - I was surprised to see espresso drinks on the menu to begin with!
The server we had was new to table service, I think. I watched him do dozens of 360's in the aisle - like he was never sure where he should be going next - which was rarely to our table. My husband ordered a soda, which came in a can - I think that's just shoddy, in a sit down restaurant, but seems to be a common experience in Oregon - wonder what that's about???
It was a pricey breakfast, which is understandable based on the Mission Statement the chef put in writing at each table, but you need to train a service staff to go along with that kind of hutzpah. Also, some breakfast standards might be nice, like ham and eggs, and plain old french toast without a lot of junk on it (please, I'm soooo tired of seeing cornflake crust on french toast, like it just came down from the heavens..really? Just make the batter correctly and use homemade bread and you'll get raves.)
What left a big impression with me is the house strawberry jam - they should bottle that and sell it at the register - it's outstanding. Hope they get more time to bring all their good intentions to fruition - I would guess The Original Breakfast will one day be a mecca for the region.

1  Thank Mystralle
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This little diner is tucked into a parking lot right near the freeway. Don't let the exterior or simple name scare you away. The food and service are much better than anyone would reasonably expect. I have stopped several times over the years and I have it as a permanent GPS Point Of Interest.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not the most modern building architecturally, we stopped for breakfast on the recommendation of friends. What we have here is a place that puts their effort into the food, not the building. As a result of our first visit, we had breakfast here two more times in the few days we were in Albany, and were not disappointed. People that complain about high prices here need to go back to Mc Donald's, as we found the portions to range from very generous to enormous. The quality comes from hash browns that they prepare themselves, sausage gravy made from scratch, chicken-fried steak that they prepare and bread themselves, and hollandaise sauce made from scratch. It is the kind of quality that those of us that like a breakfast that will last all day appreciate! Also, the waitresses were cheerful and friendly. If you want a good, hearty breakfast you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank golfsierra47
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I lived in Albany for many years and drive by this place almost daily, but never gave it much thought because the outside appearance doesn't really inspire much faith. When I was visiting Albany recently with my girlfriend, my oldest boy and her two kids, she found some good reviews on another site and invited us to breakfast.

Upon entering, I was quite surprised at how the interior did not match the exterior at all...in a good way! The place looked classy inside. We were seated promptly and then our waitress came and offered us drinks. She was a little pushy on the suggestive selling to our kids which is a bit of a turn-off for both of us (we're both food service pros), and when she recited the specials, she talked so fast we could hardly understand her. She also failed to mention any pricing for the specials, which I will touch on more later.

We ordered quite an assortment of meals and pancakes; I ordered one of the specials: an omelette with shitake mushrooms and provolone called the emperor or imperial. The food came out pretty fast and was pretty darned tasty if I may so so myself. One of our party ordered a bit late because he was having trouble deciding, but even his came out at the same time: pretty impressive!

Now for the cons: When we looking at the menu, things appeared to me to be a bit spendy for breakfast, but I took it on faith that things were going to be good. When my girl's boy ordered, the server once again upsold him to different pancakes without mentioning an extra cost. My son and I had an appointment, so we left early, but my girlfriend informed me later of some serious sticker shock: My special omelette was almost $20!!!!! When she mentioned this, the cashier was pretty indifferent mentioned that the prices were on the specials board and that "everyone looks at the board as they come in." This to me is PRIME example of service failure in this industry. When you are located on a busy highway/freeway, it is foolish to assume that everyone who walks in is a regular or has ever been there before.

Let me set this straight; I'm far form cheap, and I love a good meal. However, I would not have ordered this item had I known it was 18 or 19 dollars for just some mushrooms and cheese. This is what i would par for a crab or lobster stuffed item. I know what shitake mushrooms cost at wholesale, and I know what provolone costs.

Bottom line: This place is good, but could be better for the prices they charge. I'll continue to pass it by when I'm in Albany, which is frequently since I have three children that live there.

Been to Original Breakfast? Share your experiences!