Depot Cafe
Ranked #27 of 151 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Very good Seafood restaurant!
Description: Very good Seafood restaurant!
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful food, great service. Bonnie's crunchy salad is a carrot based salad with shrimp-WONDERFUL ! Will return soon
Good seating for four; but don't remember a place to sit if your party is larger than four
Oh, and tasty yummy chowder too!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We tried The Depot for the first time a few weeks ago. (See previous review) We have been back 3 times already! My husband and I enjoy sharing a small shrimp salad and a medium shrimp plate which includes a shrimp salad and fries. It's plenty for the 2 of us! Last time we were there our daughter was with us, so we ordered the same thing and added a calamari appetizer. We all enjoyed our meal and were completely satisfied. The shrimp were very lightly battered, moist and crispy. Our daughter doesn't usually care for shrimp but raved about these. The calamari were wonderful! I am still amazed by the size of the shrimp salad!

1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We have been eating at the Depot for many, many years. Normally, I'm not a big fan of breaded and fried seafood, but, this place is the exception -- the breading is lightweight; and the closest I have found to fried fish in the Midwest.

The decor is quirky and interesting; the atmosphere is chummy and relaxed. The staff is exceptionally friendly. The food comes quite quickly. They have terrific lemonade as well as beer, wine and soft drinks. And, it's not a chain restaurant! Hooray!

There are times when a wait is necessary -- but -- the line generally moves steadily and you can order at stop #2 [the counter] and eat it there; or order and eat at stop #3 [a booth].

I like it!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

The fish is fresh and oh so tasty! The clam chowder is a must! The decor is awesome! Service was very good.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have put off eating at the Depot Cafe for 2 years because I am not fond of white fish even though the rest of the family enjoys it. Wanting to try someplace we hadn't eaten yet, we decided the time was right. I figured, if all else failed, I could have a salad. The menu is very simple and posted on the wall at each booth. Most items came in 3 sizes, so I ordered the medium shrimp salad with 1000 island dressing. Wow! It was served on a full-sized dinner plate of crispy greens. The bay shrimp completely covered the top of the salad clear to the edge of plate and were held in place by the dressing. You couldn't even see that the lettuce was there. I was amazed! As I began to eat, I realized the layer of shrimp was nearly an inch deep! I couldn't begin to eat all of it! My husband had the small fish & chips which he said was very good; our adult daughter who was with us enjoyed the small combo of 4 kinds of seafood with really good french fries. She said the fried prawn was the best she has ever had. I shared some of my shrimp with them also and boxed up the rest of my salad. After I got home I weighed my styrofoam box and it still weighed 14.5 oz! We found the service to be excellent and the prices very reasonable. We enjoyed the decor while we waited the short time for our meal. We expected to see perhaps model trains considering the name of the place and its location just a block from the Amtrak station. No way did we expect the delightful exhibit of model airplanes overhead! It is an old building, however, and the booth seats are in need of replacement. Without tip and drinks and the big box of shrimp I took home, it cost about $32 for the 3 of us. We won't wait another 2 years before we go back!

1  Thank Kathy B