“The Best Chicken Scallopini”
Review of Carino's Italian

Carino's Italian
Ranked #31 of 150 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Three of us went to celebrate a Birthday. We were treated royally by staff. Upbeat atmosphere and good attention to our needs. Our waiter also had suggestions to make our meal a better experience.

I have never had such good Chicken Scallopini! And there was more than I could eat along with a very fresh salad and very good bread. They also had some great wine choices.

The restaurant is clean, nicely decorated, open & not crowded.

All staff was very friendly and glad we were there. We were not rushed and had a great experience.

They have a full menu. They also have Gluten Free pasta for one of our party, and it was very tasty.

It is medium priced and well worth it. Definitely will return!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We’ve eaten here twice since my first review, and both times were *great* experiences with good service and delicious food.

This time, however, was NOT :-(

We arrived early in the evening – late afternoon actually, so they weren’t busy at all. In fact, there were only *two* other occupied tables. We waited several minutes for a server to show up, and finally after about 5-6 minutes, she did. Her name was “Kelsey”. I asked for water and my husband a mixed drink. The waitress made sure she understood what his drink was before she left.

After a few minutes, back she came with my water. No drink for my husband! We both looked at her enquiringly, and she looked puzzled and asked if he wanted water? No, he said, I ordered a drink. Oh, you did? So she pulls out her pad and sure enough, she’d written it down. Several minutes later, the drink arrived.

We should have known at that point this dinner was not going to go well . . .

We ordered dinner. I opted for the “twilight special” – *Unlimited* salad and Chicken Marsala.
My husband had *Unlimited* salad and Chicken Parmesan.

Note the asterisks on the *unlimited* salad . . .

After we ordered, we waited for several minutes and our waitress did bring the bread out. It was delicious.

We waited about 6-8 minutes more (are you beginning to see a pattern here?) and finally our salads arrived. They were fine, nice and fresh. As we were finishing them, we looked around for “Kelsey”, as we both wanted another salad – that’s why we ordered “unlimited” salad!

No such luck. We waited and waited for her to come back to our table, but she never did, even though we could see her across the restaurant and tried to get her attention.

Then suddenly, here she was . . . with our entrees! We both commented that we would have liked more salad. She looked kind of confused, then offered to bring some. No thanks, we don’t want our dinners to get cold whilst we eat more salad so just forget it now. (Grrrrrr….)

She made some comment about we were so “faaar away”. I have no idea what she meant as we were inside the standard dining area of the restaurant, and by now had other diners right across the aisle from us. (With a different, more efficient server we noticed!)

Our dinners were okay at best. My Chicken Marsala was absolutely *loaded* with garlic. I don’t mind some garlic, but this was excessive. My husband said his Chicken Parmesan was okay, but felt it had limited cheese on it.

Whilst we were eating, a fellow came by and asked how our dinners were. We assumed he was the floor or evening manager. We gave him a brief review of our poor service and he just looked puzzled. Oh, well, guess he wasn’t a manager!

When I repeated “Kelsey’s” comment about being so “faaar away”, he said – Oh, well she normally works on the other side of the restaurant. He was NOT at all concerned about our poor experience!

We finished with my dessert which was included in my dinner special. That was a mini chocolaty something which was delicious.

We were so disappointed in both the food and the service (which was miserable). I would have thought that the fellow we thought was a manager would have offered a free dessert or given us a discount for our next visit or *something*, but nope, he didn’t seem to care any more than “Kelsey” seemed to care about good service.

It will be a long time before we eat here again :-(

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you like Italian and are looking for a wonderful place to take family, friends, a date or out of town guest, you can't get a more beautiful decor than here. Excellent selection of drinks, lots of room including private rooms for large parties, fireplace, outdoor seating with fountain (love that in the spring/summer!!!) and good food. They have a special unlimited soup/salad lunch for $7.99 that is so good, especially with their wonderful potato soup. It includes their delicious bread also. Only complaint would be that their dinner menu is pretty limited, wish it were a tad bigger. This is still worth the stop, you wont regret it!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our first visit to Carino's Italian in Albany was a very nice experience. We were seated next to a cozy fireplace which really added to the atmosphere. Our waitress was very patient with us as we were not familiar with the menu and had a few questions.
I settled on the 16 layer lasagna and the best Caesar salad that I have ever had (so good had to have a second one with dinner shhhh!). My wife had the baked cheese tortellini which was to die for.
Price was a bit spendy $63.00 for the two of us including a couple of glasses of wine and tip. We will go back, just won't be once a week, will have to make Carino's a treat!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stopped here during our travel for a quick lunch. We each had one of the items from the power-lunch section: unlimited soup or salad, unlimited bread and seasoned olive oil, and the entree item. The food was above average and service was great. The food arrived promptly. One issue was that my entree, chicken penne Gorgonzola, seemed a bit too salty, even for someone like me who tends toward saltier fare.

Been to Carino's Italian? Share your experiences!