“Ski Jump: Nice Spot; Towel Off Quickly (Swimmer's Itch)”
Review of Lake Murray Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ardmore
Lake Murray Resort
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Ardmore
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Ski Jump: Nice Spot; Towel Off Quickly (Swimmer's Itch)”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

AN EMAIL I SENT TO LMSP REP ON MONDAY JUNE 30, 2014:

Dear Lake Murray State Park Representative,

We camped at LMSP last weekend at Ski Jump campsite and I went into the lake on Saturday. Yesterday I noticed red pimples on my skin, on both areas that were covered and not covered when I was in the water. The pimples were itchy. I googled "lake rash" and "swimmer's itch" came up. The images for swimmer's itch looked like mine, but I didn't have so many pimples.

I just wanted to report this in case other guests ask. I never had or heard of this condition before, and had no idea what caused it, how long it would last, or how I could treat it. Once I realized that it was swimmer's itch, I found a lot of information online about it. Thanks, and have a great week.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jaine D

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My mother Honeymooned at Lake Murray Lodge 52 years ago and things haven't changed much since then. Talk about a blast from the past! Get to this lodge before it's demolished because Oklahoma is finally building a new Lake Murray Lodge!!!

I have nothing but good things to say about our stay at Lake Murray Lodge, July 2013. Yes the rooms are OLD, really old, but a blast from the past, if you like that stuff. The bathrooms are like walking into the past, 50 yrs ago. BRING YOUR OWN SOAP AND SHAMPOO, hair dryer and pretty much anything else you might need because you won't get it here. (I've seen worse while fishing~ I've stayed in a single-wide with 6 men). The rooms are clean and air conditioned and the sheets are clean, so that's a plus, but NO CEILING FAN, no fridge, no microwave and no in-room safe and the internet is pretty spotty~bring your IPad. Also, bring your ice chest and your room fan and some Febreze if ya have it. There's one ice maker down the hall (soda & snacks, too) and they sell bags of ice. Once you settle in and accept that it's all old then you start to appreciate the history and legacy of the lodge.

The beds are new-ish and comfy but the curtains are like tissue paper, so either bring a sleeping mask or thumb tacks and a black sheet to cover your window from the morning sun . Sunrise on the dock is a great place to be at 6:30 am, then breakfast in the restaurant followed by a trip to Tucker Tower and later relaxing in the Great Room with the giant fish tank, fireplace and TV at the end of the day makes for a great weekend.
In each room is a 3-ring binder with the history of the park, lake and lodge~it's a good read. Be sure and have the weekend buffets, play pool in the game room, enjoy the mini golf, swim in the pool and do the sunset cruise.
Every employee that we encountered at Lake Murray Lodge was gracious, helpful and made our stay so much fun that we can't wait to come back!
Vickie supervises the night desk~ she's THE BEST! Be sure and go talk to Vickie when you're there. All the staff, from the front desk & restaurant to housekeeping & recreation & security & groundskeeping is super friendly and happy to help make the stay at the Lodge a great and memorable experience.
I highly recommend staying at Lake Murray Lodge before it's gone~ you'll be happy that you did!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NTX2010
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have utilized most of Lake Murray's overnight accommodations over the decades including sleeping on the ground in tents, summer camp church group settings, family cabins, and as of this year the lodge is where we decided to land for the holiday. Here is my assessment. As I walked in the door it was like a step back in time. The modifications have to have been minimal over the years. That's just the way it is for now. Very clean but aged. The staff..... Well I can't say enough about how accommodating and nice they all were on any one of the shifts. We eat mostly vegetarian so I feared the worst since we came ready to survive off what the lodge dining has to offer. They came through for us! The veggie burger was awesome, salads were basic but good, cereals and yogurt parfait was good, but then there is the buffet in all it's delicious fattening glory available also for about $7. Their staff in dining were great people and worked to make our visits pleasant every meal.
They have wine by the bottle or glass. (Order the bottle)you will be glad you did! The desserts are yummy. Unfortunately, they removed one of the best(chocolate pudding brownie) instead of carrot cake! Enough about foods. They are good.
The rooms are old. They just are. They are clean and well kept and have tv, coffee and Internet in them. Not a lot of room but what do you expect for $65 a night. The view of the grounds and lake was nice. I will go back and probably stay in the larger rooms next time. Now for the best news ! A new lodge facility is being built soon I hear. They say some of this old lodge may be kept and used as a museum or something. That would be great.
Go to Lake Murray. It's a great place about to get better.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the lake mad it is a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Janet O
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband, 5 month old, and I stayed in one of the refurbished cabins (don't know if they are all refurbished), and we loved it. I have stayed in the cabins prior to refurbished, and no, they were not luxury, but they were better than sleeping in a tent! Lake Murray is not a luxury resort, so if you are looking to stay somewhere top notch, this place is not for you. Lake Murray is for people who are coming to cook out, fish, hike, and enjoy nature. It's not for people who are coming and expecting a 4 or 5 star place!

Couple of notes to hopefully help anyone make the most of their stay. Our cottage had a separate bedroom with twin beds, a large living room, a bathroom, and a separate kitchen with a table that set 4. The kitchen has a toaster, microwave, refrigerator, and oven. Oh, and a coffee maker with coffee packets. Otherwise, there is NOTHING ELSE in the kitchen. You need to bring paper towels, your own plates and utensils, food--anything you might need kitchen wise.

They do provide linens--towels, sheets, etc--and shampoo and soap. Outside every cabin there is a concrete picnic table and a grill and fire pit. There was also a fireplace and you can purchase wood and a starter kit at the lodge. 10 pieces for $5.50. You can also gather wood, but it's worth the $5.50 in my opinion to save myself some work!

There is mini golf, jet ski rentals, a swimming pool, and a snow cone place. These are only open in summer. Tucker Tower is in the process of being redone, and is worth a visit. There is one restaurant in the lodge--The Apple Bin--and it is actually quite good. There is also a bar in the lodge, but it was never open when we were there.

We visit Lake Murray once a year. It's a short trip from Oklahoma City, and we really enjoy everything it has to offer. However, we are people who like to tent camp, so the cabins, complete with air conditioning and plumbing feel like a luxury to us!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank gerialexander
Aubrey, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Felt like staying at a scary motel in the bad part of town. On the outside, cabins were cute. But inside, the carpet was gross, the bathrooms dirty, and the the kitchen was nothing to write home about. Thank goodness we brought our own linens!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Lizgirl840

Travelers are raving about these Ardmore hotels

Salado, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed during the week in one of the newly renovated cabins. It was great! We were very surprised by the quality of the cabin and the staff service. The pool was clean and refreshing, and if it had not been so hot (110 degrees every day), we would have explored a little more. We settled on long naps and cable TV for many of our daylight hours due to the extreme heat, explored the park in the early morning and late evenings. We are definitely going back. This would be a great place for family reunions.

Room Tip: ask for a remodeled cabin
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Casey H
Highland Village, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our weekend family reunion has been held there for over 10 years, because it can accomadate such a large group. The staff has always been very helpful and friendly, which is a big plus for such a large crowd. The cabins are old and the bathrooms are in need of repair. The park has attempted to update some, but they could still use more. The quality of the resort is very high, and because of this we shall continue to hold this family tradition here. The one qualm I have is the fact that the cabins are a bit overpriced, however this is easily overshadowed by the quality of this resort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family