“Not your average county museum”

Greater Southwest Historical Museum
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Ardmore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

My family and I do an "Oklahoma Adventure" about once a month. This month we headed to Ardmore, ostensibly to see its holiday light display. Before dinner we decided to stop by this museum.

We have been to a number of county museums around Oklahoma, and this one is by far the best we've seen. It has the typical bank, doctor's office, courtroom, one-room school house, etc., recovered from old Ardmore. It also has a first-rate military museum, which elevates the entire experience.

The only drawback might be that it is not built to be terribly kid-friendly. That being said, my kids enjoyed it, especially looking at all of the model ships, tanks, and planes.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We didn't allow enough time. I want to go back and visit this museum again. Very impressive. The staff of the main museum was very pleasant and full of information. The gentleman in the military exhibit was the same. Very, very nice folks.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Thisisanightmare
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Can't believe I lived here 13 years before I visited. Excellent meuseum of frontier live and military history. In fact I would say the miltary history is as good as the museaum at Ft. Sill in Lawton. The docents are excellent and it is worth spending time just sitting and visiting with them.

2  Thank masterjohnson