“Run Down”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Altus
Milliken, CO
“Run Down”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Upon walking in our room for the first time, I heard water running. I went to the bathroom to find the bathtub faucet running, the tub drain stopper was in and if we had been there 5 minutes later the whole room would have been flooded, to make matters worse we were on the 2nd floor, so the poor souls under us would have had a mess too! I called the front desk to report it and instead of being told "I am so sorry that happened, let me have someone come check to make sure everything is alright", instead there was silence. The tub was filthy. We also didn't have enough towels for 2 people and had to walk to the front desk on the other side of the building to get more because there was not one other person working at 7 pm on a Friday except James at the front desk. We were also told upson check in that the indoor pool was closed for maintenance, however it is connected to the outdoor pool and there were no signs posted, so this left us wondering what the heck?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lsnider
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Altus, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
I am truly sorry for the poor conditions and service you encountered here during your recent stay with us, and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. The Altus City Water plant has been working on their facility, which has had some brown water to be distributed, temporarily here, and we had a seperate water issue that caused us to run water in all the rooms, and we obviously forgot to turn yours off after the issue was resolved. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here, which I will use in discussions and training to improve our service. Our housekeeping & maintenance teams are committed to providing clean and comfortable rooms for all our guests, and I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust another time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here after a night of stormchasing, maybe all the moths, bugs, beetles etc were trying to gain access to the hotel due to a nearby storm. Whether they were or they werent there were hundreds of the things loitering outside the hotel when i arrived. SOme had even managed to get thourgh 2 sets of double doors into the reception.

My room was ok and had a comfortable bed, BUT. I had to take by bags back outside the hotel, up some urine soaked stairs before i could go insideas my room was on the upper level. When inside there was a half dead beetle in the bathroom and another one in the sink area outside. Not good. I also had to solve the problem of the 3 massive moths that were lodging with me before i could go to sleep.

The hotel facilities looked good, pool, bar etc but i just couldnt wait to leave. Would it have been a problem for staff to sweep the bugs out of my room and away from reception? CLearly it was.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rich2112
Stormchasing, WOW! Thank you for choosing us and for posting your comments. I'm very sorry about the bugs, and for the poor service and conditions you found here. We welcome all input and feedback from our guests, and are working hard to improve our operation. I hope you will consider us again and be pleased with the changes the next time you are in Altus.
Edmond, OK
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We are typically very pleased with Best Western hotels and stay frequently. But this was one of the worst rooms we've ever stayed in. Our experience from online booking, through check-in was great. Friendly staff, hotel itself fairly attractive and tidy, until we got to our room. It smelled musty, damp and smokey, even though ours was a "non smoking" room. Asked the desk clerk about switching rooms, she offered us 2 others to look at, both had the same smell problem. We were told it was because they "backed up" to the south side of the hotel where the smoking rooms were located. Apparently there were no others available at any price for that night. We'd booked online, with no cancellation policy, so we felt stuck in staying for the night. Big black beetle type bugs were all over the place, which I understand is a seasonal problem in the area, but still, every time we opened our room door, several would try to climb in the room. Found a large spider in the tub the next morning too. Between the bugs and the smell, a relaxing night's sleep was out of the question. We were in town for a funeral, so it was only one night, but we couldn't wait to check out, and will not be back to this location. This was nothing like we've experienced before at this or any other BW hotel. I expect more from Best Western.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lisa G
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Altus, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with the conditions you found here during your recent visit, please accept my sincere apologies and my condolences for your loss. We want all our guests to have a safe and relaxing stay, and this was clearly not the case for you. We continue to work on improving conditons here and hope you will be pleased with the changes if you would chose to stay with us again.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Currently staying at this property while on business. Check-in took about 15 minutes while the poor desk agent dealt with prank calls. One guest was waiting to swap rooms because his A/C wasn't working. Another guest was getting a new room since he originally was given a maintenance closet (I can't make this up!).

The room is updated, but retains the feeling of an older motel room. The smell of cigarette smoke is readily apparent, even in my "non-smoking" room. There was a spider in the bathtub on the first night. My room's phone was unplugged when I attempted to make a call. The alarm clock needed to be set. Free breakfast was ok...preheated cheese omelets, sausage patties, biscuits, gravy (with cut up sausage patties as the meat), selection of not great bagels/english muffins, on-demand coffee machine, apple/oj dispenser, 4 cold cereals.

The good? Speedtest.net clocks the free wifi @ 6.57Mbps down/2.25Mbps up. The bed was comfortable enough, not the best...but certainly far from the worst. At least my A/C works.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank boxedlunch
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Altus, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your recent stay here, and hope you will accept my apologies for the cinditions you found. I will use your comments in discussions and training to improve our hotel and service, and hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust the next time you are in Altus.
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western of Altus on a Friday night. The woman who checked us in (and I think the one I talked to on the phone when making my reservation) was very friendly. When we checked in we were given coupons for free beers or sodas in the hotel's bar (didn't use them, though). The room was clean and the bed and pillows comfortable. The ceiling tiles in the bathroom had small water stains on them, but overall things were good in our room. The hot breakfast in the morning was the pretty standard fare you find at many hotels these days. I needed to print some documents in the morning before a meeting. The printer in the lobby was having trouble but the morning staff was great about helping me get the job done. Overall, this was a very nice stay: nice quiet room, very friendly and helpful staff and a suprisingly low price (we had a AAA discount, but even before the discount the price was very reasonable.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank VIMTraveler
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Altus, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write and post your review. I'm glad you were happy with your decision to stay with us, and with the service you experienced here. I hope you will be our guest again the next time you are looking for a good value and enjoyable stay here is Altus.
Ada, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had a wonderful experience at this Best Western. No, the room was not fancy, a little outdated, but it was clean, very clean. I had a very spacious King room that had an easy chair with ottomon. I was on the ground floor and am not sure if the room above me was occupied or not because I did not hear any noise at all from above. The front desk person was very nice when I called for my reservation and when I checked in. I had my little dog with me and there was not an extra charge for her. I have paid $25 for a pet at other places. I did use the hot tub, it was very clean and the perfect temp.
I look forward to my next trip to Altus so I can stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Altus, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Thanks for posting your wonderful review! I'm glad you were happy with the accommodations and service we provide, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Altus.
Guthrie
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We read the reviews and were a bit nervous before we arrived. When we finally made our way into Altus to check in, there was a mix up on our room. Instead of a first floor double, they had us on the second floor. We were cool with the new arrangement because we understand that things happen during the booking process, but the manager stepped in and offered us two single rooms to make up the difference. We declined because we felt the offer was too generous for us to accept. We were happy to work with the staff who did find us a first floor single at a reduced rate. That was more than satisfactory for us.

The room was a pet room, which was what we needed since we travel with our dogs. Sure, it wasn't remodeled yesterday, but the room was still very comfortable and very clean. Even the bed was comfortable, which surprised us because motels don't usually have the best beds in the world. Internet was absolutely not a problem and breakfast was very good in the morning. The motel also gives guests a coupon for either a free beer or soda each night they check in.

We found no evidence of pests. The pool was very nice, especially after a day in the hot sun. The on site bar was clean, well lit, and friendly. The staff were very warm and exceptionally friendly. The motel also participates in a voluntary program where guests can opt to reuse their towels and linens to save on washing, which we thought was a very good program considering how much water and energy motels spend cleaning linens. We were very satisfied guests and will return to this motel.

Room Tip: Call the motel directly. The staff were very helpful when we asked about business rates and motor c...