“The room reeked of smoke”

Comfort Inn & Suites Austintown
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Austintown
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We reserved a non-smoking room, but upon opening the door we were overcome with the smell of cigarette smoke. I went to the front desk and asked for a different non-smoking room and was told there was 1 left. This room was not even marked as non-smoking and smelled worse than the first. I went back to the front desk and asked for the first room back. I told the woman at the front desk that neither room should be advertised as non-smoking. She rudely told me that her computer said that it was a non-smoking room. I informed her my nose said differently. The room was also very run down. The room was clean overall, but I could not get past the smell. We ended up needing to wash all of our clothes again once getting home even though they were all clean... The smell of smoke was on everything. If you are not a smoker I would avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank sheila K
Kathie S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Austintown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review!! We are so happy that we fulfilled your lodging needs!!

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked a nonsmoking suite. The room smelled like smoke. When we tried to get another room It was horrible. Right off I80 and the traffic was noisy. Very run down building. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank SheilaStock
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I rated this hotel a terrible based on the fact that it sounded like I-80 came right through our room. The service, breakfast, and cleanliness was fine, however my daughter had a huge sporting event the day after our stay and got very little sleep because of the traffic noise. It was constant and extremely loud. Had our room been located around the other side of the building maybe it wouldn't have been so bad, but the highway was right outside our door. My husband ran to Walmart shortly after midnight to purchase a fan to drown out the noise; it seems like some type of barrier wall should be built to reduce the noise or the hotel should use appropriate sound-proof windows/doors/walls. I hate to give it a bad review based on just the traffic, but people should be aware of it, especially if they really need a good, solid night's sleep! From now on, we will pack our fan!

Room Tip: Request a room closest to the front entrance of the building! Avoid Towers C,D,E!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room was comfortable, neat and clean. Pets allowed with a pet fee. Hotel staff was very accommodating. I did not have a reservation yet the staff was courteous and found me just the room I needed. Room doors open to the outside rather than a hallway, which to me, is a plus if you are traveling with a pet. Grounds were well-cared for. Price was reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

i stayed at this hotel recently and it was perfect from check inn to check out. hotel just got renovated and they upgraded me in to one of their new rooms. The furniture, sofa and carpet looks brand new. The breakfast was complete. The hotel has nice staff to accomodate me comfortably.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The first room we were assigned to had a horrible smell. Almost like something had died in the room. I asked for a new room, and was given a one on the backside. It was loud with traffic noise, but I would have put up with that. However, even though there was supposed to be internet, none of my devices could get a signal. I called the desk for assistance, and was told the hotel wasn't having any problems with the internet, and it should work fine. (Note: I had 4 wireless devices and none of them would connect.) I took my devices to the lobby-where they instantly were able to find a signal. I suggested to the hotel attendant that the signal wasn't strong enough to reach the back side, and he suggested I go back to my room, and he could have the internet provider contact me by phone (in a couple hours) to "troubleshoot." It was clear it wasn't a problem on my end, but with the wireless router or signal strength. I asked for yet another room , and when I got there, instantly had service-thus proving my point. I then went to the "fitness center." It had three pieces of equipment- a stationary bike, a treadmill, and an elliptical machine. Both the bike and the elliptical were broken, but weren't labeled with signs. It made me think they were permanently broken and that they wouldn't be repaired anytime soon. I went to the lobby (business center?) where there was a public computer, hoping to print a boarding pass for check in, but it wasn't even hooked up/able to be turned on. Why is there even a computer sitting there if its not in use?

Also, it appeared it had snowed several days earlier. The parking lot was a giant, un-plowed ice sheet, yet somehow still wet and fairly deep. Normally, this wouldn't bother me (I'm from Minnesota and I know snow) but everything else in the area (restaurants, gas station, other hotels right next door) were plowed and clear. Why wasn't this lot done? I had to walk through it several times as I moved from room to room, getting my shoes wet and slushy.

Also, there was a lingering smell of cigarette smoke in the entire the building-non smoking rooms and breezeway areas included.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Natasha P
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our five night stay at this hotel was very satisfactory, especially considering its age. The rooms were clean and refurbished not too long ago. The staff was very helpful and competent.

This hotel is undergoing exterior renovations and they are doing a good job of making an older hotel with outside access to the rooms as satisfactory as any I've experienced.

The breakfast was fair but free. This was a very good value considering the prices of the nicer hotels in the area and the street presence of the other older hotels.

Our 5 night stay was more than satisfactory and we'll probably stay here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Close to the interstate but our room on the opposite side had to noise to disturb us.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austintown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Youngstown Austintown
#20 of 36 in Youngstown
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in North Lima

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Austintown? Share your experiences!