“"night clerk did not care"”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Austintown
Fairfield, Alabama, United States
“"night clerk did not care"”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Had to change rooms, my first room had no hot water!
The second room was ok until, someone started smoking
on the "NONSMOKING FLOOR"
The clerk did not seem to care if someone was smoking in
a nonsmoking room or not.
I WILL NOT RETURN TO THIS HOTEL AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fishing Creek, Maryland
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed at the Sleep Inn after leaving Alpena, MI on the last legs of a road trip and returning to the Virginia Eastern Shore. I was going to have a long pull the next day (including the Pennsylvania Turnpike--America's worst driving experience) and had just came through a heck of a lot of traffic, so a relaxing atmosphere and a comfortable bed--all near the interstate--were absolutely necessary.

The Sleep Inn delivered just that. Their pool, which I didn't figure on using, actually turned out to be pretty decent and I took a dip. It was well-maintained and didn't have an overload of chlorine like many small hotels' pools often do. The lobby area was very standard but clean. The hallways--same story. The rooms were a bit of a quirky design and some interesting colors (bright lime green?), but definitely passable. The hotel was extra quiet, which I enjoyed very much. The bathroom was small, and you had to do a bit of maneuvering. I'm in pretty good physical shape and on the thin side, but if you have a few extra pounds, just be advised--it could be tricky.

All towels, linens, etc. were impeccably clean, and the room smelled clean. The TV is older, but I didn't care--I didn't watch a second of it. Furnishings are acceptable. The bed was quite comfortable, which was priority number one.

The grounds were safe, and you're up on a bit of a hill, which is always a nice view of, well, the surrounding interstate. Austintown might not be much to see, but it's a convenient location for a stopover.

The one thing I will say is that the room key had a discount for the Perkins across the street, and so I went to use it. I had previously written one bad review of a Perkins in North Dakota for bad service, and I'm about to write number two--never had a ruder waitress in my life. So, be advised.

Checkout was painless (as it always is at Sleep Inns). The rate wasn't bargain basement or anything, but the value was okay. If I was coming back through this area, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ESVASpiderTerp
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel on a trip back from Michigan and it was rated highly. I called and made a reservation directly with the desk. I asked if there was a business center and she said yes. At check in I mentioned we had two service dogs and the woman at the front desk waived the usual fee. The hotel looked clean and remodeled, and our room was beautiful, with a separate tub and shower and a king sized bed. We were pleased. I had to print a document from my flash drive and fax it ASAP per my job, but there was no business area as advertised and no printer. The girl who checked us in was rude and unhelpful. She actually closed her eyes and pretended we weren't there! She refused to call the manager when asked. The night manager was great and called the sister hotel down the street and we took care of the problem very fast, but this was a couple hours later. We had been driving all day and I took my sleeping pill and went to take a nice hot shower. The shower head was broken and only a small trickle came out. The night manager offered to give us another room, and the shower head in that room was less than adequate but better than a trickle. There was a room that had a decent shower, but it was half the size and on the bottom floor. I had just taken my pill. so we moved next door, and I showered that night, but it was not good. The night manager was again a peach and took 50% off, when we asked, but he also refused to call the manager. Our bill at check in was the quoted $99.00 plus tax. I had asked. Upon checkout, the day manager had had changed the bill to what he called the "rackrate" which was $120 and took 50% off of that price and then added the dogs! My husband and he had words after he made a comment about me taking a sleeping pill and eluded it was my fault which made no sense. He was dishonest, rude and refused to contact the manager again! He said he was the assistant manager. We travel extensively and this was by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had. We called customer service after we left and they recorded the complaint and said they'd get back to us. It's been three days and no call. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: call the hotel directly and ask for a price.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Lakehurst, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here on the recommendation of my parents. They've stayed here several times and were always happy. The room was clean and comfortable. The water pressure is a bit weak but that was our only complaint. We didn't eat breakfast there as my family are not a fans of continental breakfasts but there's a Perkins right across the street.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank the-way-2-go
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Had to go here to attend a funeral. Used to live in the area, was surprised to see that the desk clerk knew less than I did about the local area, even though I moved out in 1971 (really!).

Desk clerk didn't seem interested in doing much of anything, or being involved with the guests at all, more like a "no-tell motel" sort of attitude.

The location, room, parking, etc, are all perfectly good for the price and location. If you stay there, make sure you have some maps with you if you don't know the area. The "yes" is a guarded "yes" for recommendation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I like this hotel. Room was clean and staff helped me with a minor problem that I had. Bed was firmer than I like, but I would imagine it's perfect for some. Cable had a full complement of channels like you would have at home. Breakfast could be better, but is acceptable. Hotel is a bit out of the way, but there are a few restaurants at that exit.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I stayed here because got tired of driving on a trip from IL to NY.
The room was ok. Other Sleep Inn I have stayed are much better. For breakfast there were some pastries, OJ, apple juice, coffee, and apple. I was expecting a little more. Another Sleep Inn in Missouri were I stay often, has yogurt, waffles, 3 kinds of juice, biscuit w/ gray, etc. I probably would not stay at this property again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austintown
Comfort Inn & Suites Austintown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Youngstown Austintown
Hampton Inn Youngstown West I-80
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West
Meander Inn
Meander Inn
#20 of 35 in Youngstown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Youngstown W - I-80 Niles Area

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!