“REMODELING” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Austinburg
Cleveland, Ohio
“REMODELING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The rooms and pool are the only areas that are heated.
The fitness center is not open.
THE FIRE ALARM WAS TESTED FROM 6-6:15PM NON-STOP, bleeding my ears.
It is closer to Choice Hotels Roadway Inn brand than a Sleep Inn.
It is worth half the price, as over 50% of the current tripadvisor ratings concur.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the equivalent of a Roadway Inn
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I sincerely apologize that your stay was not great. We are currently under renovations and the freezing temps recently had also unfortunately taken a toll on the hotel, those issues were quickly resolved, and we are still continuing our renovations to provide our guests a new refreshed look, we truly hope that you will come back in the future, once our renovations are complete, and see that we strive to ensure that we are committed to guest satisfaction and want each guest to enjoy thier stay, so they will wish to return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Pataskala, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I were staying only for a night. The hotel was decent enough, good lighting in the parking lot, bathroom was very small, older room. Complimentary breakfast was good in the morning. Indoor heated pool wasn't very warm, but good size. Hotel was very quiet and peaceful. Best part of the stay was the customer service. As soon as we arrived the front desk employee went above and beyond! She was very friendly, courteous, called our room approx 10 min after we got there just to be sure the room was sufficient. She made fresh coffee, offered me flavored creamer, and made great conversation. She was wonderful and deserving of a customer service award :)

Room Tip: King size bed
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your staff and that our Guest Service Agents were helpful and made your stay more enjoyable, we sincerely hope that you return in the future.. Happy Holidays!!
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The staff has been the most helpful and accommodating we've stayed with in recent memory. Always cheerful and smiling as well finding ways to ensure your comfort in the motel. The only downside was the mattress - it was awful. V shaped and well past it's usable life.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response, we love to hear feedback so we know what we are doing right as well as what we need to improve. We are in the process of renovations, which includes newer mattresses, so we hope that you will return in the future. Happy Holidays!
Bluff, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had been in the room about an hour when my friend discovered large slugs crawling up the wall in our room! Not OK! The carpet was wet out in the hallway. When we commented to office clerk, she said "We've had a lot of rain lately". It wasn't her fault. We did get a different room but not much compensation at the time. A refund has been received since then. Don't stay on the first floor unless they have addressed this issue.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and hope that you consider staying at our hotel again after our renovations are complete. Happy Holidays!

Travelers are raving about these Austinburg hotels

berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel was OK, I guess. There was a sign up in the lobby that rooms are in the process of being renovated, but we had the feeling our room had not yet been reached. The room was clean enough, but we did find that the bedcovers had a rather unpleasant, musty smell, so we removed them and put them on a high shelf out of the way. Other than that, we had no real complaints, and the beds were quite comfortable. Breakfast, from what I can remember, was also not bad. One of those hotels that doesn't leave much of an impression - either good or bad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response, we hope you will stay at our hotel in the future if you are in the area.
Chicago suburbs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in Room 114. I'll start off by saying that the front desk people I dealt with were very nice, which is the main reason I gave the property an "average" rating vs. something lower. The free breakfast was probably the best I have had at a hotel in this price range. They had eggs, sausage, pastries, juice, coffee, yogurt, cereal. The general condition of the room and the property is pretty nice. And there was a small pool if you have kids. I didn't use it, but it looked nice when I peeked in.

But, there was mold on the shower door and on the bathroom walls. The air conditioner didn't work. The ironing board wasn't functional. The wifi kept going down.

In fairness, the front desk person knocked 10 bucks off the price of the room when I mentioned the air conditioner and the iron board on check-out, even though I did not ask for a discount. And they did tell me about the problems with the wifi before I checked in. Like I said, they're nice. However, if you're going to spend 89 bucks on a room, the type of events mentioned above shouldn't happen.......especially the mold.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PamJenkins, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was, we use this information when training our staff, and to follow up to make sure we are always meeting our guest expectations. We apologize for any inconveniences and We hope that you will return to our hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

After a VERY long drive, all I wanted to do was sleep. Was just making a coffee and a phone call when the hotel alarm sounded. As I assumed you evacuate when you hear this noise I left my room. I was the first person seen by a male member of staff and he automatically assumed that I was the guilty party as no one else had left their room. As he came charging towards me others came out of their rooms and on seeing the member of staff enter my room assumed that I must be guilty. Some of them even followed the member of staff into my room!! The guy did not ask them to leave he just let them wander, look around and look me up and down, seething because they had been disturbed. Despite the fact I insisted that it wasn't me that had set off the alarm the staff guy took no notice, fetched his ladder and started dismantling the smoke detector whilst other guest stood staring at me mumbling "He CLAIMS he was JUST making coffee". In directly accusing me of something else. The staff took no measures to move them away. I ran around collecting up my affairs, passport ,my money on the bed etc which he had left free access to. The alarm sounded for a good few hours. I sat in the reception getting looks from guests who had been led to believe it was my fault. A technician was called and started running allover the place. I asked the receptionist why and she said he was trying to find the fault. I asked "So I was right, it wasn't me that set it off"? expecting an apology . She just said 'no it wasn't your room". I started falling asleep in reception. I came round and noticed the alarm had stopped. "Is it over ?" I asked reception. "Yes" was the answer. I was fuming "You couldn't tell me?!! What the hell do you think I'm doing falling asleep in reception? Was you just planning to leave me here for the night? One of your staff leads all the guests to believe Im guilty and when he finds out im not he doesn't apologize and now on top of that you think im sleeping in reception for my health?" I walked off. Reception later called to say the manager was offering me a room on another floor as they could not guarantee the alarm would not go off. I moved rooms but it would have been nice to receive an apology for the way the male member of staff had acted and it's a shame I had to get arsey in order to be offered another room.

Room Tip: Just don't come out of your room if the alarm goes off. you'll b accused of setting off the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PamJenkins, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Good Afternoon,
I was surprised when I saw this post, as I was here the night and remember the situation very well, I very much apologize that you felt that way. At no point did we blame you as we knew immediately that there was a glitch within the system and we didn't realize that any other guest had found you at fault either, if we had certainly we would have made it known that it was not your fault at all. And of course, if we had known you felt this way at all, we would have apologizied. I did apologize for the inconvenience and offered to assist you in moving to another room, and felt awful that you had to be moved. I sincerely hope that you accept our apology and stay with us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austinburg
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula? Share your experiences!