“We DO NOT recommend this place...very rude”

Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Austinburg
Hartsgrove
“We DO NOT recommend this place...very rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Just before we sent out the invitations for our wedding re had realized that we did not have a block of rooms for our guest. After leaving multiple messages for the sales manager and NOT receiving a call back I decided to stop and check the place out. The hotel looked alright, the rooms were very clean and the house keeping staff was very pleasant to talk with. After taking with the sales manager she told me that the cheapest rate she could give me was $89 because that weekend there was a large even it town. I told her that sounded well and she was to send me the contract via email (that night). I should have known that night I would have problems. It took 4 days for her to send me the email and the price was wrong!! I left several phone messages for her, emails and yet no word from her. Finally a week after I had stopped and talked to them I get her on the phone and she is rude and pretty much told me that I was lying about the price she quoted me….after I told her that I have a paper here with your writing with the price you told me you would give my guest—she became very rude, told me “ fine I will redo the contract” and when I asked her if that would be with the correct price I got “fine whatever—I’ll get it sent” and she hung up on me!
My mistake was sending out my invitations believing that she would stand good what she told me…

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mzbehvn1
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Your contract has been redone and put in the computer, your guests just need to call and make their individual reservations. I apologize if you felt that we were anything but eager to assist you and your guests here at Sleep Inn and Suites.

I hope that things have worked out with your dog, I know a pet can be a part of the family.

Congrats again on your upcoming Wedding!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

This was our first stay in a Sleep Inn, the rooms have a somewhat modular feel to them but they are very well laid out and make for a great stay. If you feel you need plush furnishings this place is not for you but if you feel you want a good clean, well laid out room for a good night rest at a reasonable price then this is the place. We liked the big shower without the bathtub but some might want a tub. We were impressed that this was a complete no-smoking hotel and the place had a pleasant smell throughout. The breakfast was not that great and could have used a waffle machine to add to the danishes and biscuits and sausage. The only feature we would have liked to have seen was a mini fridge but our stay was great and we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerGEO
We are very happy that you were pleased with our hotel and wish to thank you for taking the time to let us know. We sincerely hope that you will stay with us again when you are passing through.

Pamela Jenkins
Niles, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed at the Sleep Inn July 4-5, 2011. First, check-in was cool (at first). After stating we were paying cash, THEN we were told about the $50.00 deposit. I guess you presume people would have it. I guess no $$-no room. This should have been explained at the time of registration. When I read "newly remodeled"/one of the newer hotels...I expect the carpet not to be frayed. If there is a stain, I think Resolve would work. The phones did not work properly in the room. I tried calling a toll free number following directions on phone and ended up with 911. My friend tried calling a local restaurant and the phone did not work properly. We did have a microwave but could not use it since the cord did not reach the plug on the desk/no extension cord. Since we did not plan to use it-we did not call down to the main desk. I loved the shower/my friend did as well. I don't like sinks outside the bathroom, there is no privacy. I did not know this at the time of booking. I am glad you had a smoking room though, glad we did not have to go to car.
I won't say I would not stay again, however there is a HIE next door and they seem to have gotten real good reviews.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jac1236
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pets allowed but they shouldn't bark even if they're vacuuming the hallway..crazy!.. they let crazy 14 yr old kids running and screaming on the hallway ..we slept 2 am bcoz of that..bad service.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank foodtripperz

Travelers are raving about these Austinburg hotels

MT. Dora
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

This place was horrible. The springs in the mattress were popped out of the bed!! My six year old daughter lay down and got cut. The manager is a JOKE! Will not return phone calls. She had someone else call and tell us that they were going to send us a PARTIAL refund for our troubles. YEAH! THAT NEVER HAPPENED! Would not advise anyone to stay at this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with our hotel. It is my goal as manager to make sure each of our guests have a pleasant stay at our hotel. I did speak with you regarding this matter on a couple occasions, and let you know that I would be refunding you a portion of your stay. I did send the money order out the following day. I tried to follow up with you, however, the number we have is not a valid number. Again, I apolgize for any inconveniences you may have had. and we are very happy that your daughter only got a scratch and didnt need any medical attention.
Please call the hotel and one of our desk clerks will happy to help you, if you have any further questions or concerns.
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

I just needed a place to crash for the night on the way up to Niagara Falls. It's right next door to a Holiday Inn Express, which I like very much, but they were $30 more...so I decided to give the Sleep Inn a try.

I've never been to a Sleep. Like all Choice Hotels, I've learned to trust reviews as the properities are inconsistent...much more variation than a Hampton, Fairfield or HIE.

This Sleep Inn reminded me very much of a budget hotel in the UK or Ireland, such as a Jury Inn or Premier Inn. The room had a Euro vibe going...open closet, shower with no bathtub, and funky bedspreads. Everything functioned fine and the TV had lots of channels. The free WiFi worked just fine with zero authentication required.

The indoor pool area felt very enclosed, like being in a parking garage. But, the kids enjoyed it, the water and ambient temperature was fine. Towels were provided.

Breakfast was on the lower end. No waffles or any other hot items besides gravy. We found plenty to eat though, and my younger son discovered the joy of "real" yogurt with fruit, vs the Trix he had been eating for years. Unfortunately, the area including the tables was not being wiped down.

Check-in and check-out was pleasant, and I have no regrets and $30 extra for the gas tank over staying next door.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TeamW4
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
We are thrilled that you chose to stay at our hotel for the first time. We are also very grateful that you have taken the time to let us know how your stay went, as this gives us an opportunity to make sure that we meet all of our guests expectations as that is what we strive for. We look forward to having you stay at our hotel again in the future.

Napoleon, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

The hotel was fine, but the beds were so very uncomfortable. We were supposed to stay two nights, but I couldn't stay there a second night, so we went next door to the Holiday Inn Express. Very, much nicer!!

Also... very slow high speed internet and breakfast was worthless. My son said the biscuits were OK, the gravy was cold and my coffee was only lukewarm, closer to cool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank zinnia56
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know what areas we need to improve. I would like to apologize to you for not meeting your expectations of our hotel, Our staff and hotel strive to assure each guest has an enjoyable stay at Sleep Inn- Ashtabula. We hope you give us an opportunity to show you that we do take our commitment to guest satisfaction very seriously and stay at our hotel again.

Pamela Jenkins, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austinburg
Ramada Austinburg/Ashtabula
Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula? Share your experiences!