“Weird smell but clean”

Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Austinburg
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We pulled off the interstate at 10:30 at night so all we wanted was a place to sleep. The other places in the area were either full or too expensive. The price was right and the bed was OK, but the room smelled moldy. The shower was set up for a person shorter than 5'.

We paid for a cheap room and we got one. The sleep was fine, but next time we'll pass on by!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
austinburgabvi, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

We appreciate your input which helps us continue to improve our business and serve you better. We have recently updated some of our bathrooms and have taken your advice to heighten the shower level. We are thankful you took the opportunity to let us know your point of view and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We paid $100 including tax for a non-smoking room with two double beds. We were told it had two queens, but that was not the case. The bed sheets were clean and I checked for any sign of bed bugs - none in sight (whew!). The bathroom was old and stained, but I think clean. Hard to tell sometimes! Carpeting was old and everything smelled of smoke.

As it was July 4th weekend and we were travelling thru on the way home, I think I was lucky to get a room anywhere at all. I believe we got the last room, so when we got there and discovered the room smelled of smoke, although it was supposedly a non-smoking room, I had little hope of a change. I mentioned it to the woman at the desk in the morning and she smiled and said thank you! I asked her if she understood that we had wanted a non-smoking room - and that maybe she should let management know that they should bill that particular room differently. She just kept saying thank you - so very frustrating and annoying.

We did not partake in the free 'breakfast'. It looked pretty paltry - some cereal, coffee, and OJ in a coffee carafe. Eat at Denny's across the street!

So overall you get what you pay for I guess. Although at $89 plus tax, maybe that was even a bit high!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

I recognize that our best advice comes from our customers, and I appreciate the efforts you have made to share your opinion with us. Although we were happy to provide last minute hotel accommodations for you on a holiday, I was sorry to hear that your room smelled of smoke. I sincerely apologize and hope you will call us in advance of your next stay so we can make double sure you receive the true hospitality you deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed there because my girlfriend & I were participating in a charity event early the next morning. Wanted a place that was not too pricey but also not "afraid to sleep" scary. It was better than expected. Got a free upgrade to a whirl pool room with a fridge. Room was a good size & slept well. Carpet in room was a little worn down in parts, but what can you ask for considering the price. The breakfast was very limited, but that did not concern us.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for complimenting us on your enjoyable stay. Your positive feedback and considerate input motivates us to excel. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed two nights while my daughter was at GaREAT indoor track meet nearby. I would highly recommend this moderately priced hotel. It is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed at. The exterior appears a bit run down, but the rooms have been nicely renovated. Rooms spacious with pleasing layout. TV, fridge & microwave and lots of other amenities in room. Bathroom: new tile and solid surfaces. Shower only, no bath. Lots of hot water. Light, fan that works, and heated lamp. No steamed windows! The beds and pillows are VERY comfortable. Never been in a more comfortable bed. Computer in lobby. Continental breakast. Nice, included substantial bagels, bakery pretzels - yum-, hot and cold cereal, peanut butter, cream cheese, fresh fruit, fruit salad, raisin toast, fresh coffee, fresh orange juice, etc. No tables, but it worked for me. Location was quiet. Staff was fantastic. Appears to be family run. I did not run across one staff member who didn't genuinely care about the guests and the hotel. Remarkable hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank New_to_Travel_8

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts and enthusiasm. It pleases me to hear good things from great people. We look forward to serving you on your next visit. I think you will be impressed with our newly renovated brick and vinyl exterior as well as the addition of new tables and chairs in our breakfast area. Thanks again for taking the time to compliment our staff and hospitality. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is actually called America's Best Value Inn. I did not expect it to be as good as it actually was. In fact, this hotel exceeded all of my expectations.. The room was utterly spotless, bed was very comfortable, AC ice cold, and bathroom spotless as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful in directing me to the local store. Denny's is right across the street, as well as a gas station. I was happy that Denny's now offers healthy meals. I had the grilled chicken & spinach salad. Yummm. I highly recommend this hotel if you are just staying overnight or if you are visiting nearby Lake Erie or the wineries.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank gotravel_like_me
austinburgabvi, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and we are very pleased that you were happy with your stay. Please come back and see us again in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

This hotel was disappointing at every turn. We had a "perks" card from this hotel chain...but they wouldn't honor it. We were supposed to get a free room upgrad and discount, but they refused to honor it because we didn't call them directly and book the room. I made the mistake of booking it on the Best Value Inn website. NOT WHAT WAS LISTED ON THE CARD.
The shower was horrible. It was equipped with a "massaging head"; the type where you can change the type of spray you want. I tried to change it DURING my shower....that was a mistake. I almost burned myself when the water temperature changed. The skimpiest breakfast I have ever seen, with watered down Tang instead of any kind of juice.
There were much nicer hotels (we found out later) in the immediate area that had much better amenties including hot breakfast and swimming pool for the same price.
This hotel would have been fine if they hadn't charged prices way above the value.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank b5fan

We would like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. Thank you for sharing your comments, it gives us the opportunity to improve our property and services. We are also sorry about the confusion with your Value Club Card. We always honor this discount card for everyone who has it and upgrade every Value Club Card member. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

The exterior is shabby and the interior worn but clean. Muddy footprints in the corridors were more likely due to the utility crews staying there than to lax housekeeping. Our room included free Wi-Fi, refrigerator and microwave, shower but no tub. It was clean and everything worked well. The bed was excellent, as good as any we have ever slept in. Despite being in sight of I-90, the top floor room in the back was free of noise. Continental breakfast was just that: cereal, bagels, juice, and coffee. No protein. The staff was friendly, prompt, and helpful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JollyMan8

We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with your stay. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. You are correct, we did have crews during the summer that caused the muddy floors, we keep up with them as much as possible. We do have plans to renovate the exterior of the building in the future. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austinburg
Ramada Austinburg/Ashtabula
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Ashtabula-Geneva

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg? Share your experiences!