“No detail overlooked”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aurora B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“No detail overlooked”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

All I can say is that I am a very frugal person and though expensive, it was worth every penny charged. The best analogy I could draw would be to say Walden is to Inn/Spas as Whole Foods is to grocery stores. High priced, but worth it and then some. Very clean, staff was very friendly and seemed genuinely intent on making sure that our stay was everything we hoped. The common spaces/lounges were very comfortable and inviting. It was possible to get lost in a book in the middle of the resort. Though we were told they were near capacity, it felt like the opposite. Can't recommend this place enough. I did not try a spa treatment but my wife did and said it was the best she ever had. We are committed to an annual trip after our first experience there. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank readelman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Perhaps if you are obviously wealthy or well-connected this resort lives up to its reputation. However, if you are a person of average means looking for a splurge, expect to get pegged as a sucker by a jaded staff that seems to care more about image than substance. My husband and I visited in April to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We scheduled spa services at the spa attached to the resort and also booked a loft suite for two nights, a loft suite being one of the more spacious accommodations available. The resort was nearly empty for the duration of our stay, but we were placed in an older section of the hotel. I suspected this upon inspecting the room, but had this confirmed later by the manager at the spa, who expressed surprise when told where in the resort we were staying. The room was still nice, but it had clearly received much use and seemed a little worn. Still wanting to feel good about the enormous amount of money we were spending to stay there, I chose to overlook this fact, but discovered something more unpleasant that night. Our large walk-in shower had a severely clogged drain that caused cold water to pool unpleasantly around my feet. I reported this to staff the next morning and was told that they would add the problem to the maintenance log. I foolishly assumed that this meant they would send someone to fix the problem, but realized by the following night that this was not going to be the case. Room service, which we used a couple of times during our stay, was efficient, but I could not shake the feeling that we were not the kind of guests the staff was accustomed to serving. The attendants were college age kids and seemed condescending and cold.
On our second day of our stay, I received one of the worst pedicures I have ever gotten in my life at their spa. The aesthetician who performed the service was a very nice girl who confided to me that it was her first day on the job. Needless to say I was disappointed, especially since my husband and I had received services there the previous day. Since there were other clients there with presumably more experienced staff, I was left to wonder why I was yet again getting sub-par treatment.
Upon check out that morning I mentioned our problems with the shower to the front desk clerk and asked to talk to the resort manager. Rather than being gracious, the clerk responded defensively to my request and curtly informed me that the manager was unavailable. To the manager's credit, he did contact me by phone several days later as a formality. He also sent us a 50 dollar gift certificate toward another stay, but honestly I will never stay there again. The whole experience left me feeling as though we were most unwelcome. All I really wanted was for someone at Walden to acknowledge that a clogged shower drain, especially at a five star resort that sells its showers as one of the highlights of the room, is unacceptable. And I wanted a sincere apology. Although not upper class, my husband and I know about first class service. We did not receive it at Walden. .

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
12 Thank EleanorAquitane
Innwalden, Owner at Inn Walden, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear Traveler,

I find it diassapointing to find that this review was posted 7 months after their stay. All of our room maintenance issues are always check after an issue is brought to our attention. In this case the person made a comment upon checkout which was looked into and address. A gift certificate was an appropiate response on the Inn's part. I am so sorry this guest didn't feel they belonged and for some reason they didn't get any satisfaction. All of our rooms are always continuley refreshed and our staff is highly trained.

Please take us up on the gift certificate you were provided and hope to see you in the future.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We travel extensively for business and leisure. We were thrilled when we checked into Inn Walden and saw our room. Walden is unlike the typical hotel chains, even the high end luxury groups. This inn is unique (and much better) in every way.

The room and decor are stunning. The linens and towels are decadent. There is a fully stocked mini-bar with top shelf liquor. The coffee and tea provided by the hotel are excellent. No detail has been overlooked. I can honestly say this experience was like being in a luxury home, not a hotel.

Each evening robes and a single red rose are paced on the bed, small treats are left on the night sand, and on two evenings we found wine chilling in a bucket on the fireplace with lit candles around it.

Every morning we had delicious muffins and a paper hanging on our door. Breakfast is included in your rate, but we were out of the inn every morning by 7AM so were not able to take advantage of what others said was awesome food.

We will return again and again. You can count on that. It is difficult to find fault with Inn Walden.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Inn Walden is a tranquil and stunning resort. I traveled to Inn Walden with my Parents who are seniors. The resort is a hidden gem. The rooms are spacious, including a walk in shower, dressing area and wet bar. The beds assure a good nights sleep, so much so that I inquired on purchasing a bed. Mornings were greeted with muffins, a paper and delicious breakfast. The evening turn down service included a sweet and bottle of champagne. The weather didn't permit outdoor activities, (35 degrees & wet) but when I return, walking around the horse stable and perhaps a lesson will certainly be on the agenda.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank scarypets
Cleveland
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My fiance and I were married in Cleveland and wanted to have a special one-night getaway for our wedding night. Walden Inn had been recommended to us and I knew as soon as I called them on the phone that it was the right place.
Everyone we came across was very kind and professional. We were greeted as soon as we got out of our car by three people taking our bags, handing us glasses of champagne and congratulating us.
We were given a complimentary upgrade to their loft suite. They drive you to and from the barn for dinner so that you have nothing to worry about. While we were away at dinner, they decorated our room with rose petals, lit candles all over the entire loft, and a bottle of wine and wine glasses near the jacuzzi.
The following morning, they provide a complimentary breakfast that was fantastic, and they even deliver it to your room for $5. Worth every penny! We had breakfast at our cute little breakfast table in our robes.
We could not have been happier with our little getaway and can't wait to go back for our anniversary!

We highly recommend staying at Walden.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lbcs
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My mom and I spent 4 nights at the Walden inn. We were in a Pyramid suite #6. I requested the room with the least windows for blackout ability and that was the room they suggested. Still there are only blinds on the windows and light comes through pretty easily in AM. I definitely would have liked curtains on top of blinds.

The room was very large, with a nice breakfast nook by the entrance. There's a flat screen TV, phone system where you can control lights and TV, so pretty neat. There's a dvd player and they have some dvds for rent at the front desk. Bathroom was also very large with a nice tub/jacuzzi. The toiletries that they provide are extremely smelly, so bring your own if it bothers you. You can get free wi fi, but i didn't bring my computer. My blackberry had a very good signal. The bed is very comfy but linens have a slight smell, so once again plan ahead if that is something that bothers you. There's a gas fireplace in the room. If you turn it off, the lighter stays on and gives a slight blue hue to the room at night. I called front desk and they were able to fully shut it off for the duration of our visit.

Food was very good too. Breakfast is inclusive and we ordered it in every morning. Now, the Barn restaurant is closed sunday and monday, but i ordered in 2 other nights and food was really good! Clubhouse food was ok compared to the barn and it is also closed on mondays. So, if you are stuck in the hotel on monday, there's a very limited 24 hour menu. They do provide you with menus from other restaurants nearby to order in if you want. There are some snacks (cheese/prosciutto) in the afternoon if you get hungry. TV/coffee station is available 24/7

The spa is heavenly. You each get your own spa suite and that is the best idea ever. You get 30 mins before and after treatment to enjoy it. There's a nice bench for reading as well as steam room/shower with gazillion shower heads, big tub. I had 2 hour massages twice and they were both great. Mani/pedi was good as well. Spa is closed on mondays, which kind of sucks if you are there then.

Overall the experience was great and I would definitely come back. The service is great and are willing to do anything to help you with your requests.

• Stayed February 2010
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Although a bit out of our price range, my girlfriend and I decided to visit the Walden for a relaxing weekend getaway a week ago. It wasnt long before we were on the property that we realized that this place was far from the ordinary and that it was going to be a different kind of place.

As soon as we parked our car, we were greeted with full smiles, champagne, and just an incredible surge of positive energy. The staff were incredibly helpful and at our service for any request.

The rooms are exactly as portrayed on their website - there is no photoshopping or altering of the images. What you see, is what you get, if not better. The rooms are magnificent. The beds were so comfortable. Our suite had an electronic shower (unlike any other I've experienced) and an electronic hot tub. The room smelled great and was very clean. We could not hear anything outside and it was truly calm and serene.

The breakfast is free, and cooked to order - anything you'd like from the menu is available, or for a mere $5 it can be delivered to your room. It is not your traditional morning breakfast. They also have free afternoon appetizers and tea in the library, but they do charge your room for any drinks that you order. One may originally have the impression that they are free, but your room will be charged. But again, its not that much of a big deal. Its just good to know that in advance.

Overall, great place - great staff, very relaxing, fantastic accommodations, nothing is off limits in terms of your requests, and they genuinely go around the world and back to make any of your requests a possibility. Highly recommended, and I will most definitely save up so we can go back. A+++.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DXB87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Bertram Inn and Conference Center
Glidden House
Glidden House
#9 of 38 in Cleveland

Been to Inn Walden? Share your experiences!