“Wonderful as Usual”
Review of Inn Walden

Inn Walden
Ranked #1 of 1 Aurora B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Whenever my husband and I need to get away, we come to Walden. This time we spent two nights and had a perfect time. My husband spoke with James Leet the GM and he put us in a room we had not stayed in before (the rooms are almost all different). Suite 5 is a Loft Suite that did not disappoint. I have added photos from my phone.
We also had spa treatments that are far and away the best value ever. You get 30 minutes prior to your treatment and 30 minutes after, to spend in your spa suite. The suite has a jacuzzi tub, steam shower and relaxation area that is amazing. And no locker room down the hall, the bathroom and closet are all in the room! Plus you can relax in the lounge with fireplace and water feature, and even have food and drinks in there. Wonderful!
The service from the minute you step foot on the property is of the highest quality. You don't "check-in" because they know you are coming (and are waiting for you). You don't need to drive to dinner or lunch, because they will take you in their car. You barely have to mention your are thirsty and they will pour you a drink (oh, and they welcome you with a glass of bubbles when you walk in - can't beat that!) You can try to tip, but they will most likely not take it.
Walden is a place to come to relax and be pampered. Again and again. I can't wait till my next visit!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2009

My husband surprised me with a trip to the Inn Walden for our 1 year anniversary, and he could not have picked a more perfect getaway! From the moment we arrived the hospitality and service was above and beyond anything I have experience before! We stayed in a loft suite, which was beautiful...high ceilings, lots of windows and skylights, a fireplace and jacuzzi tub right in your bedroom. Every night when we arrived back to our room from dinner the music and fireplace were turned on, candles and champagne were set up around the fireplace and robes, a snack and a rose were lying on the bed...very romantic! Dinner at the Barn was amazing...beautiful decor and excellent food. Transportation to and from dinner was always prompt.

Movies are available at the front desk to watch in your room. Room service is quick and is set up for you in your room.

The service was so excellent that we felt we were the only people staying at the Inn. We did not have heat in our room the first night (which wasn't a big deal since it was in the 50's outside), but we did mention it to the staff the next morning to see about getting it going the next day. They immediately had someone out to correct the issue, had the heat running in about an hour and comped our first night's stay!

The spa was another wonderful part of our stay at the Inn. The staff was extremely friendly...setting us up in our own private suite with a jacuzzi tub and steam shower prior to our treatments.

We will definitely be returning back to the Inn Walden in the future and have already recommended to friends and family as a must!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed overnight at the Inn and had a wonderful time. I called the day before and made arrangements for the spa package. They threw in a lot of extras such as a romantic turn down service, champagne, and roses throughout the loft. The room was also upgraded from a pyramid to a loft. The staff was great and the facilities were clean. Breakfast was included in the package however the fees to deliver it weren't. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2009

All in all the place is nice and a great night's get away. The staff is courteous, the rooms are nice, etc. My wife and I stayed for our anniversary and booked the horse riding package for $545. Not cheap but we decided to splurge. When we checked out we received an extra charge of $100. The fee was only explained by the front desk clerk as "some taxes and service charges" and it was impossible to provide anymore detail than that despite the food tab having separate lines for county, state sales taxes. Sure enough, I read on the fine print on the website that the stated fee did not include certain taxes and service fees so I guess I didn't read closely enough. I just felt nickeled and dimed an extra 20% on an already expensive venture. For that, I will not return and find a place that is more forthcoming. Hope it was worth the extra $100 for them

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I am a discerning traveler. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels and Inns. Walden is top notch for a weekend relaxation trip. Read on for a complete and objective review:

The Inn - Accommodations are very clean and upscale. They are not opulent, but they are above average. The pictures offered on the Inn's website are accurate. The rooms are very spacious, the linens are deluxe and the furnishings are modern. The motif is a mix of country and contemporary with plenty of windows and sun light.

The Spa - Whether you stay at the hotel or just partake in the Spa services, the Walden Spa is top notch. They have a reasonably well rounded menu of services at slightly above average prices for the area (but worth the extra). Each spa treatment is provided in a private room where the patron is allowed to spend 30 minutes or more relaxing before the treatment begins. Each spa room includes a Kohler whirlpool hot tub, Kohler steam shower (incredible) and lounging area. The Spa staff is extremely professional and attentive. Nothing is rushed, and no time agenda is enforced as a policy of the spa - adding to the overall relaxation experience.

Dining - The Inn hosts two restaurants The Blue Ribbon Cafe (basic cafe style menu - casual dining) and one for fine dining The Barn (a restored 175-year-old barn) The Barn boasts a high level menu prepared by their Chef . I found the food at the cafe to be acceptable and above average at The Barn. A third restaurant is on the Walden’s property located at the club house of their golf course. It was as the Cafe -acceptable, but nothing you will write home about.

Riding Stables – The website makes it sound as if the Inn maintains its own horse facilities, but in reality the stables are a separate (yet attached) entity. Top Line Stables is literally attached to the Inn and is home to about 30 horses which are independently owned. Top Line Stables houses primarily dressage horses and has won many regional competitions including several top performances in the 2008 Prix De Ville held annually at Lake Erie College Equestrian Center. The one hour trail ride is provided by the staff at Top Line Stables and takes place on the Inns property which includes woods and open fields. We found the horses provided to be well trained and acceptable for even novice riders.

Golf Course – Well maintained and challenging course. Nothing special but, no complaints either. The staff at the course was professional and courteous. All in all a nice 18 holes.

Service - The Inn was recently awarded five diamond status and deservedly so. We found the staff to be extremely accommodating and professional. No request was refused – every question answered with a smile. We ordered room service one of the evenings of our two night stay. Two wait staff arrived and set a table in the room complete with linens, candles, a complementary bottle of wine selected to accompany our meal, and presented my wife with a single long stemmed red rose. Presentation, attitude of the staff and small extra touches are the reasons for this Inn’s recent awards.

Summary – This Inn is an excellent getaway spot in North East Ohio. The website is fairly accurate as to the amenities and the pictures are not old, digitally enhanced or outdated. What you see is pretty much what you get. The price tag is a little high, but the quality and service makes it worth it. If you are contemplating a romantic weekend getaway - this is a great choice. Of particular note was the fact that the Inn was sold out when we stayed there. However, the only other guest we saw during our 3 day/2 were in the restaurant. We never heard nor saw any other guests during our entire stay at Walden. This was a very private and relaxing experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swcaoh
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I have stayed here several times over the years and it seems to get better each time. I can't believe there are any negative reviews on here. The staff is very attentive and friendly, without being a nuisance. Everytime I encountered someone, there was eye contact and verbal recognition. While it is a remote location, that is part of the appeal. The rooms, each unique, offer both relaxing views and cutting edge technology for in-room entertainment. The food is marvelous and comes quickly since it is a small boutique not catering to the masses. I appreciated the generous portions as well. I have been fortunate enough to visit many spas, this is perhaps the finest. Splurge a bit and spend as much time there as possible. You will feel like you are a thousand miles from Cleveland.

If you are looking for a happening bar scene or lots of people watching, this is definitely not for you. If you are looking for a truly remarkable escape from that, try it. As my wife and I have found out first hand, you'll find yourself daydreaming about going back.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank PDaddyCleveland
Reviewed December 27, 2008

What a joke to see the 5 star AAA rating for this hotel. My wife and sister in-law visited last year and had a very bad time. They were not happy with the room and nothing was done. They went to see a movie and had to tell someone severl times to start the movie. They requested popcorn that was never delivered. When the movie ended, no one came to turn on the lights. After waiting in the dark for about 15 minutes they decided to leave the movie in the dark. My wife fell through the movie doors and was injured in the process. When they told the desk person, that person said she should be more careful. My wife is a kind person and let it go. I would have sued.

AAA your rating system is not worth very much.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank Clevelandtraveler_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Kent State University Hotel & Conference Center
Bertram Inn and Conference Center

Been to Inn Walden? Share your experiences!