“Extra fee drudgery”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aurora B&B and Inns
Chagrin Falls
“Extra fee drudgery”
Reviewed August 12, 2009

All in all the place is nice and a great night's get away. The staff is courteous, the rooms are nice, etc. My wife and I stayed for our anniversary and booked the horse riding package for $545. Not cheap but we decided to splurge. When we checked out we received an extra charge of $100. The fee was only explained by the front desk clerk as "some taxes and service charges" and it was impossible to provide anymore detail than that despite the food tab having separate lines for county, state sales taxes. Sure enough, I read on the fine print on the website that the stated fee did not include certain taxes and service fees so I guess I didn't read closely enough. I just felt nickeled and dimed an extra 20% on an already expensive venture. For that, I will not return and find a place that is more forthcoming. Hope it was worth the extra $100 for them

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ohio
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I am a discerning traveler. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels and Inns. Walden is top notch for a weekend relaxation trip. Read on for a complete and objective review:

The Inn - Accommodations are very clean and upscale. They are not opulent, but they are above average. The pictures offered on the Inn's website are accurate. The rooms are very spacious, the linens are deluxe and the furnishings are modern. The motif is a mix of country and contemporary with plenty of windows and sun light.

The Spa - Whether you stay at the hotel or just partake in the Spa services, the Walden Spa is top notch. They have a reasonably well rounded menu of services at slightly above average prices for the area (but worth the extra). Each spa treatment is provided in a private room where the patron is allowed to spend 30 minutes or more relaxing before the treatment begins. Each spa room includes a Kohler whirlpool hot tub, Kohler steam shower (incredible) and lounging area. The Spa staff is extremely professional and attentive. Nothing is rushed, and no time agenda is enforced as a policy of the spa - adding to the overall relaxation experience.

Dining - The Inn hosts two restaurants The Blue Ribbon Cafe (basic cafe style menu - casual dining) and one for fine dining The Barn (a restored 175-year-old barn) The Barn boasts a high level menu prepared by their Chef . I found the food at the cafe to be acceptable and above average at The Barn. A third restaurant is on the Walden’s property located at the club house of their golf course. It was as the Cafe -acceptable, but nothing you will write home about.

Riding Stables – The website makes it sound as if the Inn maintains its own horse facilities, but in reality the stables are a separate (yet attached) entity. Top Line Stables is literally attached to the Inn and is home to about 30 horses which are independently owned. Top Line Stables houses primarily dressage horses and has won many regional competitions including several top performances in the 2008 Prix De Ville held annually at Lake Erie College Equestrian Center. The one hour trail ride is provided by the staff at Top Line Stables and takes place on the Inns property which includes woods and open fields. We found the horses provided to be well trained and acceptable for even novice riders.

Golf Course – Well maintained and challenging course. Nothing special but, no complaints either. The staff at the course was professional and courteous. All in all a nice 18 holes.

Service - The Inn was recently awarded five diamond status and deservedly so. We found the staff to be extremely accommodating and professional. No request was refused – every question answered with a smile. We ordered room service one of the evenings of our two night stay. Two wait staff arrived and set a table in the room complete with linens, candles, a complementary bottle of wine selected to accompany our meal, and presented my wife with a single long stemmed red rose. Presentation, attitude of the staff and small extra touches are the reasons for this Inn’s recent awards.

Summary – This Inn is an excellent getaway spot in North East Ohio. The website is fairly accurate as to the amenities and the pictures are not old, digitally enhanced or outdated. What you see is pretty much what you get. The price tag is a little high, but the quality and service makes it worth it. If you are contemplating a romantic weekend getaway - this is a great choice. Of particular note was the fact that the Inn was sold out when we stayed there. However, the only other guest we saw during our 3 day/2 were in the restaurant. We never heard nor saw any other guests during our entire stay at Walden. This was a very private and relaxing experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swcaoh
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I have stayed here several times over the years and it seems to get better each time. I can't believe there are any negative reviews on here. The staff is very attentive and friendly, without being a nuisance. Everytime I encountered someone, there was eye contact and verbal recognition. While it is a remote location, that is part of the appeal. The rooms, each unique, offer both relaxing views and cutting edge technology for in-room entertainment. The food is marvelous and comes quickly since it is a small boutique not catering to the masses. I appreciated the generous portions as well. I have been fortunate enough to visit many spas, this is perhaps the finest. Splurge a bit and spend as much time there as possible. You will feel like you are a thousand miles from Cleveland.

If you are looking for a happening bar scene or lots of people watching, this is definitely not for you. If you are looking for a truly remarkable escape from that, try it. As my wife and I have found out first hand, you'll find yourself daydreaming about going back.

• Liked — The rooms and service
  • Disliked — The price doesn't allow me to go there more often
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PDaddyCleveland
Cleveland
Reviewed December 27, 2008

What a joke to see the 5 star AAA rating for this hotel. My wife and sister in-law visited last year and had a very bad time. They were not happy with the room and nothing was done. They went to see a movie and had to tell someone severl times to start the movie. They requested popcorn that was never delivered. When the movie ended, no one came to turn on the lights. After waiting in the dark for about 15 minutes they decided to leave the movie in the dark. My wife fell through the movie doors and was injured in the process. When they told the desk person, that person said she should be more careful. My wife is a kind person and let it go. I would have sued.

AAA your rating system is not worth very much.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Clevelandtraveler_8
Anaheim, California
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I hadn't been back to the Walden Inn for several years, but the warmth of the staff and the beautiful grounds were just as I'd remembered. All the staff were very helpful, and even accomodated my need for some special food (I was pretty sick for a few days). The room was comfortable, with one of the best beds in any hotel room anywhere - piled high with pillows, and with luxurious Frette linens. You're greeted warmly and shown right to the room, something that makes the Inn especially friendly.

There are a few things that would, in my opinion, elevate them from a 4 to a 5 star rating for me.

I think that while the housekeeping staff keeps the place immaculate, a checklist would help them remember to go an extra step. Refilling amenities that have been used (like the "vanity kit" with cotton balls) would be nice. So would noticing that the coffee cups and spoons have been used and replacing the spoons. Minor things - but those push a place into the upper tier.

I also think that at the next Inn "makeover" they should re-do the room lighting. Clearly, the idea is that low lighting = romantic atmosphere. Fine - but then provide brighter lights with dimmers. It's hard to put on makeup in the bathroom with the dim "romantic" lights, and even the brightest setting on the bedside lights isn't quite bright enough for me. Same with the rather dim light in the shower - a dim light and black slate on every surface in the shower means a very dark bathing experience.

The inn isn't c lose to anything at all, and it's a little hairy getting out to walk anywhere for exercise because of the lack of a shoulder on the road outside the hotel. It's wonderfully quiet though. The little basket with a chocolate chip muffin and a digest of the day's news is a nice touch in the morning, though I'd prefer a full newspaper.

A final recommendation: in this day and age, people want to feel "eco-friendly." Giving guests the option to reuse towels and linens is a nice way to acknowledge this.

I'll be back - probably to ask for a room with a fireplace and tub next time!

• Stayed November 2008
Garrettsville
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I can scarcely tranlate into words the absolutely amazing hospitality that Inn Walden provided for my wife and me on our wedding night. Not only were we greeted with warm smiles and bubbling champagne but seventy, yes, 70 blazing candles in our loft suite. The bed was covered in rose petals, the fire was lit and a delectible cheese and fruit tray, not to mention an extra bottle of champagne, awaited to replenish a tired new couple. We thoroughly enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle of any major metropolis. We also were taken away by the beautiful Tinkers Creek Nature Preserve located just around the corner. If we could give Walden another diamond trust me we would. If you want a getaway with a stellar staff, luxurious rooms and plenty of aesthetic beauty, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wavegigglebarbie
Reviewed June 13, 2008

When we stayed at Walden we had a great room, like everyone else. No complaints at all with the room. But everything else about our stay was a not so funny comedy of errors. We arranged for a horseback ride. It was muddy. One of the horses was scared of mud and therefore ran into trees and did anything else it could to show how unhappy it was with the ride. Our guide agreed we needed to return to the stables immediately. We were still charged for our hour ride. We had less than two minutes of ride before the horse got ridiculous. If they knew she wasn't a mudder, which our guide told us once she acted up, they should have canceled the ride.

Then we ordered food from the restaurant via room service. The one and only case of terrible food poising I have had in my life happened that night. I couldn't sleep most of the night and in the morning I was projectile vomiting. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it was the shrimp in the salad. It seems the most likely culprit.

They were also less than helpful on the first night when we called and asked for a movie. They had something in the room advertising them, but it turned out that they had to go to the local video store to rent them. I guess they didn't like doing it. Then don't offer the service. I think if you're going to offer a service you should be happily willing to provide it.

The final straw, as it were, was that after we stayed (and paid) they called and wanted me to send them a check immediately. It seems they had neglected to charge us for the horse ride and now wanted the money for it. RIGHT NOW. The lady actually had the nerve to ask me to drive over an hour from my house to the inn and take it immediately. A two hour round trip drive to deliver a check for the horse ride which lasted two minutes? I think not. I sent the check - but it was the final straw. They lost our good will, and good business.

• Liked — The rooms were perfectly appointed.
  • Disliked — The place was run by terribly unprofessional people.
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Velezita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Hilton Cleveland Downtown
#3 of 38 in Cleveland
InterContinental Hotel Cleveland
Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade

Been to Inn Walden? Share your experiences!