“Above Board Service!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Athens, Ohio, United States
“Above Board Service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

My husband and I recently had our wedding reception at the OU Inn and stayed there as guests. The rooms are nicely furnished with plenty of amenities! The one thing that really stood out to me, however, is how quiet it was; none of the normal hotel noise you usually get (other people talking, doors slamming, etc). Although each and every staff member that we came across was extremely helpful, there are three people that I would like to give a special mention.

The first would be Jacque; she went above and beyond any expectation I had. People repeatedly asked me if I needed help with the reception and if I was getting "stressed out". My answer was the same every time, "the reception is a piece of cake...Jacque has me covered!" She regularly called or emailed me to check in and see if there was anything I needed; she made me feel as if I were the only client that the hotel had!

The second employee is Steve. I can not possibly say enough about his customer service skills! He made our experience wonderful! He was always there, offering to pitch in and help in any way that he could! Customer service is something that I find is lacking in most businesses now a days and Steve is the epitome of what it should look like! He set up the ballroom for the reception and did a fantastic job...everything was absolutely beautiful!

The third employee I would like to mention is Jonathan; he is a true assett to your facility! Chefs are not always known for their people skills but not only is he a marvelous chef, but a wonderful "people person"! Our guests could not stop raving about the incredible food! We chose filet mignon, chicken marsala and the portabella mushroom lasagna and not one person was disappointed! The only down side is that a few people ordered chicken instead of the filet, because traditionally, wedding reception filet isn't always the best...but when they tasted the filet they were sad they didn't get it...even though they loved their chicken!

We visited Cutler's restaurant two weeks after the wedding and I had the best scallops I have ever eaten...even when I've been vacationing on the coast!! The service is wonderful and the food is by far the best in Athens!! Whether planning a trip, an event, or an evening out...the OU inn is THE choice!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

Great location close to town - our rooms were clean and comfortable. Decent breakfast buffet in the restaurant. although I was surprised there was no continental included with the rooms as with most hotels. One warning - make sure your reservations are confirmed and correct. Ours were totally messed up twice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Shaker Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

OU Inn may be a little more expensive than some of the other Athens hotels but it is worth the extra cost because of location, cleanliness and atmosphere.
Visiting PU you never have to search for parking, less than1 mile to downtown bars and dining. Friendly staff at hotel, rooms are always clean.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Larkspur, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

A hotel should be rated on SLEEP QUALITY, Cleanliness, and Location... ALL THREE are important and to fail any is sufficient to earn a critical review.

The OU Inn has PAPER THIN walls... it's 3a and I've been awake for 2 hours as a parade of guests has roamed the halls, slammed doors, and held conversations in their rooms that I feel I am a part of.
On one side of my room a guest is berating a friend for losing his cell phone while on the other "Cathy" seems to be distressed that her partner and his friends have had too much to drink. I feel as if I am part of each conversation as well as several others taking place in the hallway.
Bottom line - this is a nice hotel charging steep prices - but if you can't sleep here, why stay here?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nyc2cal
Marysville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our family had a swim meet at OU. Everthing was great. Very clean room. Good service.
Since we felt the restaurant was over priced, we ate at restaurants around the town.
My family will stay here again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank drmoofish
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

It's after midnight. There are at least 3 young women in the next room, talking, laughing. They are not having a loud party -- but I can hear the conversation clearly. I've called down to the desk, but there's no change, because the young women probably don't think they are making much noise.

Otherwise, the room is nice enough, and the staff have been very pleasant.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

I love staying at the Ohio Univ. Inn. The rooms and bed are very comfortable. The staff is friendly. My only complaint is that they set up restrictions that make no sense at all. Many Fridays are blocked as "check out only" days, or for some reason, they sometimes tack on a 3 night minimum stay required. With a student at Ohio University, I like to visit on the weekends on occasion. On several occasions I have had to stay at other hotels in the area simply because I would be arriving on a Friday, or was planning on staying fewer than 3 nights. To be clear, these restrictions are not in place all the time. I have come and checked in on Friday & I have come and stayed only 1 night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Mom-on-the-go-03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to Ohio University Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!