“OU Inn Worth the price-great location”

Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Shaker Heights, Ohio
“OU Inn Worth the price-great location”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

OU Inn may be a little more expensive than some of the other Athens hotels but it is worth the extra cost because of location, cleanliness and atmosphere.
Visiting PU you never have to search for parking, less than1 mile to downtown bars and dining. Friendly staff at hotel, rooms are always clean.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Larkspur, California
Reviewed March 19, 2011

A hotel should be rated on SLEEP QUALITY, Cleanliness, and Location... ALL THREE are important and to fail any is sufficient to earn a critical review.

The OU Inn has PAPER THIN walls... it's 3a and I've been awake for 2 hours as a parade of guests has roamed the halls, slammed doors, and held conversations in their rooms that I feel I am a part of.
On one side of my room a guest is berating a friend for losing his cell phone while on the other "Cathy" seems to be distressed that her partner and his friends have had too much to drink. I feel as if I am part of each conversation as well as several others taking place in the hallway.
Bottom line - this is a nice hotel charging steep prices - but if you can't sleep here, why stay here?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nyc2cal
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our family had a swim meet at OU. Everthing was great. Very clean room. Good service.
Since we felt the restaurant was over priced, we ate at restaurants around the town.
My family will stay here again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank drmoofish
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 23, 2010

It's after midnight. There are at least 3 young women in the next room, talking, laughing. They are not having a loud party -- but I can hear the conversation clearly. I've called down to the desk, but there's no change, because the young women probably don't think they are making much noise.

Otherwise, the room is nice enough, and the staff have been very pleasant.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I love staying at the Ohio Univ. Inn. The rooms and bed are very comfortable. The staff is friendly. My only complaint is that they set up restrictions that make no sense at all. Many Fridays are blocked as "check out only" days, or for some reason, they sometimes tack on a 3 night minimum stay required. With a student at Ohio University, I like to visit on the weekends on occasion. On several occasions I have had to stay at other hotels in the area simply because I would be arriving on a Friday, or was planning on staying fewer than 3 nights. To be clear, these restrictions are not in place all the time. I have come and checked in on Friday & I have come and stayed only 1 night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Mom-on-the-go-03
Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Over the past few years, we've spent several nights at the OU Inn. If you are able to get a room in the main building, it's a nice place. However, we just spent two nights in ,I hope, is the worst room in the place, Room 144. We reserved a non-smoking room but upon arrival, we were told that they overbooked and had to give us a smoking room. Unfortunately, the smoke smell was not the smell that was the problem. The room was less than clean with a dirty, stained curtain with an open safety pin hanging in the middle of it. The bathroom floor was dirty, and one of the beds was broken. The worst was the strong musty/mildew smell. My socks we soaked from the very damp carpet so that I wore my shoes the entire time we were there. All of our clothing was damp and smelled like an old basement. I was very glad to leave. Be sure you are getting a "good" room when staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Rassi
Atlanta
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Even though I lived in Athens as a student many years ago, I'd never set foot in the OU Inn until last week. Our visit was part of a Memorial Day ramble across southeastern Ohio and western PA and a return to an area I'd not visited in 20 years.

The OU Inn was the first and only choice as it offers a unique location on the edge of the campus and is not a pop-up chain motel which seems to be the norm in the area along the new bypasses. Our second floor room had a balcony which we enjoyed in the evening, plus the room itself was large and updated. Totally comfortable bed and an LCD TV, too. Not noisy, and really quite enjoyable. Quality bed which made for quality sleep. It was the standard hotel room configuration, but that was what we'd expected.

We grabbed a quick breakfast in the restaurant - fairly normal buffet as well as a menu. Prices low and aligned with the area. We stopped at the lounge for a drink one evening and were about the only ones there, but the whole town seemed to be away for the holiday weekend. The lounge was well-appointed.

It stands alone among the competition thus the high rating.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
#2 of 10 in Athens
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens
Baymont Inn & Suites Athens
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan

Been to Ohio University Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!