“Much improved”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed there for the 4th of July holiday. My family and I have stayed here in the past and it was ok. It is very clear that this property has recently been upgraded and remodeled. It is very clean and everything looked great. I will warn all that we saw pets on all floors, so if you are allergic to pets you will want to let the front desk know ahead of time so you can avoid the furry friends. There is a dog park in the back yard of this property. The breakfast is typical HIE and everything was hot and as fresh as can be expected. The front desk is very helpful and friendly. I was very pleased for this stay and when we are back in Athens we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Contact the front desk at this location prior to arriving at this property and let them know whateve...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DJ K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you for the review of our hotel during your last visit to Athens. We know you have a choice of hotels in this area, and we are thrilled that you chose to stay with us. I'm pleased to know that you've noticed our improvements, and there are many more to come in the near future.
We do apologize for the inconvenience of having pets located on the upper floors. We've modified our policy to have all our "furry friends" on the ground level, and all rooms have been deep cleaned and refreshed to insure a nice hypoallergenic room for our guests who are sensitive to animals.
Once again, thank you for letting us know the areas you noticed could use improvement. Our only goal is to please each and every one of our guests, and without customer feedback, this wouldn't be possible.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

when i booked my room the note was for 2 queen beds. when i arrived i was greeted with 1 king and a "we can get you a roll away". not exactly what I had bargained for, that plus the robust room rate for summer in Athens left a bad taste in my mouth for this hotel. breakfast was adequate but nothing to write home about. location isn't exactly ideal either, although a cab uptown only runs about 10-15 based upon the number of passengers. Im still impressed we got 7 people into a prius! the property is clean and didnt smell, so that's a plus. unlikely I'll stay here next time however, not many choices in Athens.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear RichardCFTM64,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to read from our guests on how we are doing. I apologize that this visit was less than satisfactory for you due to the condition of the room you were given and breakfast not being completely up to standards. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Despite this, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites of Athens is definitely the go-to hotel for the area. Prices are reasonable, and they are very friendly, even to your pets! My stay was very good, with completely clean room, bedding, and bathroom. The breakfast bar is well stocked with typical holiday inn express breakfast fare, where the staff is also very attentive. Bathroom amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouthwash, shower gel, and bar soap. One of my favorite aspects of Holiday Inn Express hotels is the assortment of firm and soft pillows. Forget flipping the pillow over to the cool side... just grab another!

There was only one negative issue, which is common in hotels: the bathtub had a slow drain, which meant I was standing in water while showering. That did not really bother me very much, because the bathtub was absolutely spotless.

Overall this is definitely the hotel I will return to when the need arises.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I'm excited to know that you were pleased with your stay, but we hate to hear that you had a slow draining bathtub. Our maintanence department have fixed the drain in the room you experienced the inconvenience in, and I do apologize.
We love the choice of pillows in our rooms as well! We are in the process of replacing our pillows with the new Holiday Inn Express pillows, and we are sure you are going to love these even more. The pillows are much larger than our old ones, and they are made using a new process with 100% recycled materials. We hope to have the entire hotel completed in the next few months.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The location is ideal, in the middle of everything and right off the 33.
The front dest staff is super nice. The room is large and well equipped.
Not the first time staying here, and not the first time satisfied.
Carpets could be cleaned a little because it is a little bit aged.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know how we are doing, and what we can improve on. We are pleased to know you have stayed with us on more than one occasion, and appreciate your comments on the carpet.
We are in the process of replacing the carpet that has prematurely worn, and have updated our cleaning cycle, based on your comments. We do thank you for letting us know the areas we can improve upon, as our guests staisfaction is our top priority. If there are any other suggestion or comments, please share them with us, as we are constantly looking for ways to increase our guests satisfaction.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is a top notch hotel when visiting Ohio University, or just passing thru Athens in SE Ohio.

Front desk staff is absolutely the most friendly and helpful of any hotel I've been to. Stephen is especially friendly and helpful. When I called down to get a new remote for the TV, he personally delivered it and made sure it worked.

Its perfect location is right off I-33, on State St, which is the main street for all restaurants and shopping in the area. Applebee's shares the same parking lot and your Holiday Inn Express room key gets you 10% off there. Plenty of other restaurants are within 5 mins.

Lobby and breakfast area is huge. Large TV for groups wanting to gather to watch a game. Complimentary breakfast is excellent with a wide variety of hot/cold options. Coffee/Tea/Cocoa available in the lobby 24/7.

Rooms are very nice, functional desk, comfortable bedding, and bathrooms are large and well-appointed.

While you're here, visit the Ohio University campus...one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stopped at this hotel on our way to Cincinnati from the Baltimore area. Not having done any research, I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly, gave us a rate that beat Priceline and called our room to make sure everything was satisfactory. The front desk also gave us discount cards to local restaurants and informed us of local attractions. The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean and the free breakfast was very good. The pool was clean and while the work-out room is small, it met the need with two treadmills and a stationary bike. We only stayed one night but if we're in the area again, I would consider this hotel for a longer stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TAJ_DC
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The is by far the best holiday inn/holiday inn and suites I've ever stayed at! I was there for a week on business recently and they treated me as if I was family!! The hotel room was very nice! I stay out of town at least 40weeks a year and I'm in a new hotel each week and this by far is the best I've ever stayed at!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens? Share your experiences!