“hidden gem”
Review of Hampton Inn Athens

Hampton Inn Athens
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have stayed many many times at the Hampton Inn in Athens -visiting a son at Ohio University -I am always impressed by the friendliness of the all the staff from the front desk onwards....
The hotel is clean and the new renovations are smart. I really appreciate that they use environmentally friendly "paper goods , cutlery" etc in for their free breakfasts. I like that they offer almond and soy milk too. The breakfasts are a good option even for a vegan - there is always oatmeal .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 19, 2013

On business, have stayed a few times at another national brand highly ranked hotel in Athens. This time, I chose the Hampton Inn. Considering both are categorized as mid-range hotels, I expected them to be pretty much the same. What a surprise! The Hampton Inn is much nicer. In fact, I think it's safe to say it's by far the nicest hotel in Athens.

Room is large, clean and well appointed, with a Microwave and Mini-Fridge in my room, though not sure rooms are equipped with those. Tastefully furnished, with a comfortable seating area, a large flat screen tv and plenty of room. I was in a double/double room. The room had very much a "clean and fresh" feel.

Staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. Breakfast room was clean, and nicely appointed, although the breakfast was a little hectic. Complimentary USA Today in lobby, as well as local papers.

I overnight in Athens once or twice a month, and without doubt, this is now my overwhelming first choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The only place to stay in the area. And I have stayed in them all. Great staff, outstanding desk for the business traveler with 8 plugs and hard wire internet all at a comfortable desk.
Nothing negative to report on this one.

Room Tip: get a room on second or third floor around *14-*18. That will be away from the elevator and the ice...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here for two days between work assignments. I'm a consultant based out of Atlanta, and I stay in hotels all around the world during the week. Sometimes I actually make it home for the weekend, but often find myself trying to relax in another city visiting friends. When I checked in, I was told to park at the end of the hotel and walk up three flights of steps because its closer to my room... And the one elevator was broken. So I did... But, the locked door at that end of the building was broken, so I had to walk the length of the hotel back to the front entrance (elevator not fixed yet), and then back inside to get to the steps to take me up 3 flights. The room was nice, and I was able to get a couple extra pillows. The stay was enjoyable. The night before check out I got in very late, so I stopped at the desk and asked if I could get a late check out so I could get some sleep (clocks moved forward an hour in the night since day light savings). The front desk clerk said no, she isn't authorized to do that. She said to call the manager in the morning and ask. I replied that if I have to set my alarm for early morning anyway just to ask if I can sleep in, then I might as well just get up. She said okay. So I went back to the room and then called down asking for a 10:30 wake up call. I went to sleep. 11:00 am rolled around (no wake up call but i woke up anyway) and I called the desk asking for an extra hour for check out. She said no they can't authorize that. I told her that it was their fault the wake up call didn't work and they are STILL not going to allow a later checkout? She said no and that if I had a problem with it I could call her manager: I said ok, what's her number? She's not here right now.... ! So end of story. Just want people to be aware of a few things. The rooms were nice, the people aren't.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Sidney6653
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The staff is always nice and helpful. Clean rooms and pool. The only issue we had is the breakfast is bland. And you can tell some of the breads and muffins were yesterday's!! Over all, it's great. Nearby is the movie theatre, lots of restaurants and shopping. OHio University is just around the corner. Great location for incoming sports teams, family's...etc.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stone1897
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having a student at Ohio University-we have made a few trips down to Athens! The Hampton Inn is by far the nicest place we have stayed at. The Inn is well kept and the location is just a short drive from campus. The rooms are comfortable and hallways are very quiet. We enjoyed the generous complimentary breakfast. Didn't have time for the pool or hot tub but they looked inviting. Felt very safe at this property and the staff was very welcoming.Priced a little higher than other places in the area but well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was a new hotel in the area for us but we have stayed at many Hamptons in the past. The room was clean but a bit cramped. The bathroom door opened into the room which seemed a bit odd to us. The linens were fresh but the bed sagged a bit when we were both on it, a new experience for us at a Hampton Inn. In the morning hot water was in short supply, perhaps because of the wrestling and hockey teams staying in the hotel. But really hot water should never be a problem. Breakfast was fine, typical for a Hampton, we always like the oatmeal and waffles. The heating unit was reasonably quiet, but cold air was leaking into the room all around it, really a serious draft. We put my daughter's suitcase in front of it and she said her jeans were freezing in the morning. How much could could caulk or weatherstripping cost to solve this problem?

The issue in Athens is that there are not many choices so you have to be prepared for some compromise. We have stayed at a few places in town and this seems about equal to the better competitors. That said, it is convenient to OU, to the highway, to stores and chain restaurants, and whatever you might need. It is a decent night's sleep, albeit a bit pricey. We would rank this a close number 2 of the places in Athens to stay and certainly a reasonable choice.

Room Tip: We would recommend the top floor so no one is above you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens
Baymont Inn & Suites Athens
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan

Been to Hampton Inn Athens? Share your experiences!