“Excellent Breakfast”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Have only been for breakfast on Sundays, but definitely recommend it. Food was very, very good and as others have posted, they make an effort to use local ingredients. Although in an economically depressed area, other than the university, a lot of people are building small farms and the town seems to do a good job of promoting local food - the Farmers Market is super.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The prices here include the tip as this is a worker owned and operated establishment. The serbers are very responsive to requests and the menu is altered to suit. Loved this place.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

waited at the bar to order and was ignored. Very inefficient process for ordering. The food and drink may be good but we left after tiring of waiting.

Bad service wil always dimish the value of good food.

1  Thank jmlalley3
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I love Casa Nueva so much. Living an hour away in Columbus, I don't get down there too often, but I actually crave it.

It's a worker-owned co-operative semi-Mexican/breakfast joint. They try to use as many local and seasonal ingredients as possible. There's always a seasonal vegetable and seasonal cheese. It's also very vegetarian and vegan friendly.

I think the food is great. It could be a little spicier -- some of the "hot" salsas are a little mild to my tastes. But that's really my only complaint about the food.

It is a pretty popular place, and as such, there's often a long wait. I'm usually down on weekends around lunchtime, and it's not unusual to have a 35-45 minute wait for a seat in the dining room. Occasionally I think I should go try other places in Athens instead of waiting, but who am I kidding? I love Casa so much that I'll take the wait. Fortunately, you can grab a seat in the cantina, order a local draft beer and some chips and salsa (the chips are made by Shagbark Seed and Mill in Athens and are seriously some of the best I've ever had. You can get them in stores around Columbus now) while you wait.

A perfect weekend day for me would be to drive down, go hiking in the Hocking Hills to work up an appetite, then go have some grub at Casa, followed by coffee at Donkey Coffee, and hit the bookstores in Downtown Athens.

1  Thank CincySwords
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This great little restaurant is in downtown Athens. All ingredients are fresh and grown locally. Loved the food and menu variety. The only downside was the length of time it took to get our food after we ordered. I was there at lunch and it was packed. I'm sure dinner would be just as crowded.

Been to Casa Nueva? Share your experiences!