“We had the reuben”

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
Ranked #1 of 118 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The operate a pub/brewery on one side and a restaurant on the other. Also listed on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JackieOsBrewery
Ohio
“We had the reuben”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had the reuben and they were great. Service typical for college town. Seating not the most comfortable but we will return.

• Visited October 2012

Hocking Hills, Ohio
“Great Beer”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The food is good for bar food. The beer is the reason to go. lots to choose from and they offer flights so you can try a variety. They own the building next door where they have some good live music too. A great addition to the Athens scene.

• Visited September 2012
Oxford, Ohio
“A space for one to exist.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Jackie O's is aguably my favorite place on the planet. And, since I haven't seen too many other planets, that's saying something. In an attempt to properly describe it's majesty, I'm affraid that this review may be rather long-winded.
I lived in Athens for five years, and during my tenure, Jackie O's was know as Ohooley's Irish Pub. Ohooley's was my favorite haunt, and my band's most beloved place to play. I was devistated to hear in the mid ots that Ohooley's would be changing hands. More importantly, I was terrified that the new ownership would change the formula that set Ohooley's apart from every other college town drinking hole.
To my delight, every one of my fears were realized on my next visit to town. Yes, you read that correctly. The location had changed names and the new owners had, in fact, altered the formula. It was a difficult pill to swallow. Jackie O's had become a superior version of Ohooley's. And still , every time I return, it continues to improve exponentially.
Jackie O's is comprised of two storefront locations with an attached patio/deck. The Brew Pub side is where we once called Ohooley's home. Management has left the original charm of this place in tact. Brick walls, dim lighting, furniture built from wooden barrels, and in-house brewing materials illuminate the antiquaed and warm atmosphere. It's a space that one wants to be in - not for a moment, passing through - but to exist, for some time.
Exit to the rear.
The back patio is now twice the size of it's predecessor. Comfortable wooden booths and tables seating four or more offer a place to enjoy the outdoors, socialize, and enjoy something from Jackie O's legenday menu.
Across the patio and down the stairs, please.
Jackie O's Public House, as some of you might remember, was once known as Skipper's. This large room has, like the Brew Pub, table top furnitue made from from large wooden barrels. A stage has been erected by the front window for evening entertainment. Most importantly, though, the kitchen is in the Public House.
Jackie O's menu is second to none if you are looking for fresh local food and a unique and innovative menu. The scratch-made biscuits and gravy may be the best in all of Ohio. Make sure to try the pizza for lunch or dinner. The crust is made from the spent grains of the brewing process.
Speaking of brewing, we've finally arrived at Jackie O's star attraction...the beer. Jackie O's corrected every flaw that Ohooley's was plagued by. They rewrote the rules and the recipes. The flavors invented by Jackie O's rival the best in the microbrewing industry. In the past year Jackie O's has opened an offsite brewing location which allows them to provide us with a greater selection and larger quantities. Visit their website for the full menu.
Many claim to have left a bit of their hearts in Athens, or at Ohio University, but it doesnt take an Enigma Machine to decode their language. Nobody left anything important in a library, or in a dorm room (this is questionable). But in a place where friends are like family and cheer flows freely, it is an easy thing to lose one's heart at Jackie O's.
Until next time,
Sainte.

• Visited September 2012
Cleveland
“Nice Uptown option”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I would call this “very good” as both a brewpub and, in my limited experience, a restaurant. The beers are plentiful (13 house-made drafts on my last visit, complemented by plenty more), the servers are nice and knowledgeable, and the food that I’ve had is good. They also often feature bands later in the evening, and those have been above-average on the occasions I’ve been around for them.

There are two sides to the place, one larger than the other. I think the larger one is where to go for food, but it also has a full-service bar. On nice days, take advantage of the patio in back, which is one of only a handful of places for outdoor imbibing in Athens. I haven’t tried much of the menu, but I can vouch for the spent-grain pizzas, which are delicious and tie in nicely to the beer.

Visited September 2012
Cincinnati
“Jackie O's is THE reason to come to Athens, OH.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Jackie O's is a brew pub and restaurant which occupies two store fronts joined by a common back patio. One side is a more traditional bar that countains their brewing setup for their in-house beers and is a cozy, intimate setting. The other side is much more spacious and has a stage for live music. Between both you can order off their whole menu.

What can one really say about this place that will truly do it justice. It has an amazing atmosphere that just can't be beat. Their food is just out of this world - the crust of their pizzas is made from the spent grains of their brewing, and just spectacular. They make a point to source local ingredients which is very, very cool.

The Beer: I had to save the best for last. While they do serve beers from big name brewerys you know, by far, the real treat is what they brew themselves. I am a little bit of a beer snob, and dabble in brewing myself, and have had a wide variety of both craft beer and micro brew exposure. Jackie O's is doing it right. They are making some exceptionally stellar beers in a wide variety of styles that are out of this world. I just had their Screaming Pumpkin Sour that was orgasmic!

I cannot say enough good things about this place. If you come to Athena, OH - You are wasting your time if you don't spend a evening at Jackie O's.