“A great place”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I saw this restaurant on Trip Advisor and was a little scared by the "Middle Eastern" description. But my daughter and I decided to try it out.

First of all, they do have alcohol, and a very good wine list. That was my first worry when I saw "Middle Eastern." The price for the whole bottle seemed quite reasonable based on what I've seen in stores. The per-glass price seemed high. For example, a bottle of Layer Cake Primitivo generally costs about $18 in stores and cost $30 at Salaam. This is a very reasonable spread. But a single glass was offered at $9, which seems quite high to me. Of course, a lot depends on the pour size, but clearly you are better off buying the bottle here.

I thought the food could be described as Mediterranean as much as Middle Eastern. There was a very wide variety. They did have a couple of entrees which were baked in a philo crust. These take extra time, so if you want one of these items you might consider trying to place your order as quickly as possible after you sit down.

My daughter got a soup called harira, which was a vegetable soup. I had gazpacho. For entrees my daughter had pan-seared trout; I had lamb chops. We enjoyed our soups and entrees. My daughter didn't care for her side, which was some type of cold sweet potato, white bean hash; the rice served with the lamb chops was a little spicy-hot. I usually like hot, but for some reason I didn't want spicy-hot rice.

I will note that the lamb chops were served seasoned and grilled. Most American restaurants will serve lamb in some type of sickly sweet syrup. So I really like the way they were served.

We liked the atmosphere. The service could have been a little better, and that is the only reason I'm giving four instead of five stars. But this is a great restaurant, and if you are visiting Athens you ought to consider visiting here.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Salaams food is always top knotch. I've tried many many things on the menu and always been very happy. I love the spanakopita, chicken kabobs, and the coconut chicken curry. The salads are all delicious, as is the bread delivered while you ponder the menu. Service is friendly but sometimes a little slow. Always worth the wait.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My favorite Athens Ohio restaurant. Great Middle Eastern/Indian Food and Nice ambience. Local produce/ingredients are used as much as possible. Owners/operators live locally and participate in and support the community. All around great philosophy!

2  Thank Sunnygal53
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a place with a unique atmosphere. Some of their dishes are amazing, although others are somewhat flat (and the reason for me not giving them 5 stars!). All in all very worth the visit.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

we love this place!...food and service is high quality...middle eastern food made deliciously...the lamb is our favorite, no matter how it is prepared... and the bread is soooo yummy!...we travel about 35 miles to eat here...step out of your comfort zone of steak and potatoes and give salaam a try, you won't regret it!...

1  Thank mjpk25

Been to Restaurant Salaam? Share your experiences!