“Don't Walk By, GO IN!”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

You'll be pleasantly surprised to find this gem of a restaurant tucked away on West Washington Street. (At one time it was an office supply company; however, once seated is this attractive setting, it is difficult to imagine it was anything but a colorful and artful restaurant.) If you are new to Athens, don't let the parking situation stop you from walking a short distance from the city parking garage to the welcoming front doors of Salaam. (There is on-street parking.) The atmosphere is inviting and relaxing. Additionally, there are always new specials mixed in with the bountiful regular fare. When we dine with friends, each tries something new. We've always been pleased and look forward to discovering yet another new entree on our next visit. I don't believe they take reservations for couples, but I believe they do for groups. Please check on that especially on busy weekends.

1  Thank LASH78

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Consistently good food. Great atmosphere and service. Interesting specials,appetizers, and salads. The first place I choose to take out of towners.

2  Thank Pamela R
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This restaurant grabs you from the beautiful handle on the front door, and sends you back out reeling with satisfaction. In between, the colorful and elegantly exotic decor, the mouthwatering scents emanating from the kitchen and the kindly and competent waitstaff waft you to the table. The menu runs to Middle Eastern, Indian, central Asian and Eastern Europen cuisines. The vegetarian and vegan offerings are numerous and delectable, but there is plenty here to please a dedicated carnivore as well. A sensitive and intelligent wine list and unusually fine baking complete the perfect picture here. The basic table bread arrives fresh and warm, subtly fragranced with nigella seeds. I can't speak for the desserts, because we were so full by the time we got to that stage of the dinner that we Our party enjoyed the meze platter, perfect, crisp falafel, a sumptuous coconut chicken curry, vegetarian kebabs, harira (a rich vegan Arabic lentil and tomato stew) and the methi vegetable soup. Our only regret is that Restaurant Salaam is so far from DC, where only Zaytinya comes close to the range and quality of cusine, and even Zaytinya lacks the lovely atmosphere of this gem. Worth a long drive. What a find!

2  Thank BetsyPlatt
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Lovely atmosphere, makes you feel far away from the Mid-Ohio Valley. Food is consistently good. Staff is enjoyable and attentive. Turkish coffee is a must.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I first enjoyed Restaurant Salaam with a client and one of my artists. It was truly a fantastic experience. The service was polite and efficient. The food was well-prepared, fresh and tasty. I ordered a beet salad. One of the best I've ever had. A freshly grilled, tender and moist chicken breast on top of organic greens, with roasted beets, goat cheese, onions, etc. Delicious!! My guests had lentil soup, house salad, moussaka and teas. All wonderfully prepared and delicious.

I stopped back a second time with my husband for lunch. Again, wonderful! He had shwarma, and (I couldn't help it), I had the beet salad again.

This restaurant is a charming, tasteful, delicious addition to Athens. It's almost so good that I want to make another (special) trip there just for dinner.