“Stay away !!!”

Super 8 Athens
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Athens
“Stay away !!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Avoid this property at all costs!! The management, as mentioned in other reviews, is EXTREMEMLY rude! I was yelled at by at adult for the first time in my life (let's just say I'm over 50) by the male attendant on duty. He was not a sullen teenager nor a summer temp, but appeared to be the adult male manager of the hotel. He was impossible to deal with upon check-in when there was a misunderstanding about our arrival date; in fact, he began yelling at my husband and me within minutes of our entering the lobby. Shouting at the top of his lungs, he suggested we phone Super 8's customer sevice since he would not even attempt to figure out the mix-up. When my husband suggested that we start over in a more reasonable manner, the proprietor turned out the lights of the office and REFUSED to let us check into the room we had reserved via the hotel's web site. Please do yourself a favor and stay ANYWHERE else in Athens or drive to a nearby town. No paying customer needs to be subjected to such outlandish treatment.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed July 4, 2006

The staff is not well mannered. We were seating and having breakfast provided by super 8. The staff came to the hall and never wished or asked whether we are finished and started closing and packing everything.

Its a small issue but speaks a lot about their attitude.

Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Athens, Ohio
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My parents stayed there while visiting me last year. The manager was extremely rude. When my father requested an itemized bill, he was refused. When I asked, later, for a copy for my father's records, the manager called my parents liars (my mother hadn't spoken in 4 years), and again refused one.
I contacted Super 8 Motels. They apologized for the treatment, and gave my father a refund.
As a former service professional, and long time Athens resident, I recommend staying anywhere but Super 8 Athens. Athens is far friendlier than that experience might lead one to believe.

Stayed January 2005
6 Thank cycleb
Reviewed May 13, 2006

It is the only mid-priced place to stay in Athens,Ohio. Which leads me to believe they survive on lack of competition. The folks that manage this place are extremely rude and unpleasant to deal with. They make their dollar hollar...cheap brakfast, do not refill shampoo until the one that you leave in the shower is empty. They turn off the power in your room when you leave, so you come back to a room that is too cold or hot (depending upon the ambient temperature). In summary they are very tight fisted. They do however keep the place clean. In summer they keep their customers on the ground floors until they are full....to save energy. This is fine but they will put you in a handicapped room to fill up the first floor before they put you in a second floor room. The opposite applies in the winter they keep the top floor full, and the first floor vacant whenever possible.
I have stayed at this motel for probably 20 days or more in the past 9 months ending May 18, 2006.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business