“Great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Athens
COLUMBUS
“Great hotel”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I loved that I could park right in front of my room and it opened to the outside. This is important to me as I have a back problem and it was easy to unload and load my luggage. Most hotels make you walk down long hallways or up the stairs and elevators and they are closed off to the outside and fresh air.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
CINCINNATI
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel entrance very difficult to find. Beds were horrible. Shower didn't drain well so we had to stand in a couple inches of water. Gross!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Athens
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Motel was average, but fairly old. Promised a cot in room for third person, but was never delivered. Motel will not give receipt at check at if booked on-line via booking agency.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ashland, Ohio
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The property is out of the way, the rooms have a terrible odor, the service is dismal, and you will not get what you order! Booked a room over a month prior to stay only to be told upon check in that they no longer had rooms available and they tried to give me double bed instead of a king--with no refund or apology. First, it took about 20 minutes for the front desk clerk to even acknowledge that we were waiting to check in. Then, we find out that we do not have the room we ordered. When I asked for a refund they refused. Would not let me talk to management. Said that we were "out of luck" there was "nothing we can do" and that I would have no bed for the night. The desk clerk continuously called her manager and would walk to the back room to speak to him, but when we asked to talk to him her response was that he was "on vacation" and "unable to take any calls"

I decided to check out the room they could provide only to discover it was dirty, smelly, and substandard. I had to leave the hotel because my group would not fit in the alternate room. I would not have wanted to stay in this room even if it had the correct size bed, because of the filth and terrible customer service provided.

Management would not respond to any inquiries. After placing several calls to the Days Inn Athens and corporate, we still have heard no apologies and have been offered zero options to make the situation right. The only solution that the front desk clerk had was to reserve another room for an additional $180 and forfeit the money I had already been charged for the room they could not provide me. How is that a solution? Why would I pay them for services I dd not receive? And why could they not provide me with the king bed room that I reserved? Why would I have to pay twice?

Use extreme caution if booking this place. It is the worst hotel I have ever experienced in my life!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heather29938
Poland, Maine
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Property is in the boonies, opposite an automotive business . . . not a good sign. There was a distinct smell of sewerage, and a "stream" nearby.

Room was not clean . . . hairs in the bathroom, dust lining the edges of the carpeting, mirror streaky. There were a mis-matched micro and fridge, a modest-sized wall-mounted flat-screen t.v., and a table and ONE chair. The tissues box was virtually empty. The drinking glasses (2) were not wrapped. The bathroom fan/light sounded like a plane taking off . . . all the time. Towels were VERY worn -- need to be replaced.

Thankfully, the bedding was clean; and the spread and carpeting appeared to be fairly new. And the WiFi connection was strong and speedy.

The exercise room (a former hotel room) was a rather appealing surprise; but the equipment (treadmill and elliptical) were substandard (like $200 new).

While the premises were picked up and mowed, the outside stairs' treads were in need of sweeping and a coat of paint. In addition, the outside waste containers were filthy and full-to-overflowing when we arrived at 6 p.m. and still had not been emptied when we left at 10 a.m. the next day.

The hotel's photos of the breakfast area are misleading. The two tables shown are the ONLY tables and the L-shaped area for displaying the breakfast fare was crowded. In addition, this cramped area is a mere five feet away from the front desk. We skipped our "free" breakfast -- which doesn't start until 9 a.m. -- and went elsewhere.

Premises is a very dated, two-story hotel with no elevator and outside stairs -- definitely not "ideal accommodations" as their website states.

One last thing -- the room charge automatically includes a charge for use of an in-room safe. It is the guest's responsibility to request that this charge be removed from the bill upon checkout.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family