“Good Trip To Athens”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Athens
Portland, Oregon
“Good Trip To Athens”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We chose this hotel because it was near the Athens Downtown and university. It is a old hotel but nice clean room. front desk staff is very nice helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aku p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed there on September 30th for parents weekend at OU. Thought I was lucky to get any room even at the outragous price of $170 per night. I was unaware that I was also paying for BED BUGS. Unfortunately I didn't notice until about 5am and it was too late. Needless to say I had to destroy a lot of personal belongings. I got out immediately spent 2 days trying to notify Days Inn and Wyndham (parent company) finally got with someone from Wyndham and was told the owner was notified and he would contact me. never happened. Stay away from here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Robert D

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We went there for a college visit to Ohio University. My daughter had just gotten a brand new camera for a graduation present. While trying to get everything packed up and get checked out, she inadvertantly left her camera on the bed. We realized the error when we got to the university. We called the hotel and they claim they never found it, I asked to speak to the housekeeper, but she was conveniently already gone. This trip ended up costing us a lot of money- an expensive hotel room that wasn't worth it and being out a brand new camera. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JLPorter
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We stayed during a recent college visit for one night, checking in about 10:30pm. The room was dated, dirty and the mattresses were almost touching the floor. That is the good part. The sink was separate from the toilet/shower area. As my kids and I were brushing our teeth, we noticed the carpeting was damp and had assumed it had been recently cleaned or maybe the sink had leaked. During the night, I used the bathroom and the toilet almost overflowed. When my son got up to use the bathroom about 5am, the toilet did overflow. It was then that I realized that the carpeting was wet from previous toilet overflows and we had all been standing in someone else's sewage. I told the front desk when I checked out at 7am and she adjusted my bill by only $10 and said we should have changed rooms when we realized what it was. I contacted corporate customer service; the hotel then offered an additional $10 off my room rate. I considered this a slap in the face. The last answer I received from corporate is that they will do no further compensation and it was my fault for not changing rooms at 5am. I am disgusted given the nature of the problem (it wasn't a faulty heater or broken tv, it was a health hazard) and the complete lack of any reasonable response from Days Inn. I will NEVER stay at a Day's Inn again!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank thbodi
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Shady and rude ownership. Of the hundreds of hotels I've stayed at over the years, this is the ONLY hotel I've encountered where the owner (not Days Inn) insists on making a photocopy of your drivers license to rent you a room! When asked why he needs a photocopy, what he's going to do with the information, and how he's going to protect it from ID theft you get a "because I said so" answer.

This individual (again, not Days Inn -- it's not their policy) even went so far as to create a fake "flyer" that was supposedly stamped by the local police department stating the photocopy is mandatory per the police department. When I called the local police department to verify the "requirement" they stated they don't require any hotel to make a photocopy of a guests driver's license. At the local police department's request, the hotel staff faxed the "flyer" to them for verification. Even after receiving the flyer, the local police department refused to acknowledge they had any such requirement to make photocopies of guests drivers licenses and also denied the validity of the flyer that was supposedly stamped by one of their officers. You've got to ask yourself why would someone go to such lengths to retain your identification -- I find that shady at best.

In the end, I refused to allow the hotel staff to photocopy my drivers license and they (specifically the owner) refused to rent me a room even though I provided valid ID and an accepted method of payment. He did however still charge me for the room. The owner was very rude about the whole situation and defiantly told me to "take it up with Days Inn Corporate." I have; and also with the credit card company. Had this "owner's policy" (again, it's not Days Inn's policy) been disclosed at the time the reservation was made, I simply would not have made the reservation and the whole situation would have been avoided. There simply isn't ANY valid reason for this man to make and keep a photocopy of a guest's driver's license.

Finally, I concur with an earlier post that stated this hotel (really a motel) was out of the way and in the middle of nowhere. It really is. Even my navigation system couldn't find it. We ended up driving up and down the road for 5 minutes searching for it after the nav said we'd arrived. You can't see the place from the road and there's no signage to tell you it's there. The only reason we found it was because we started looking at building numbers to determine which way to go and we still had to guess it was down the road behind a stand of trees. If you're in town to visit OU, find another place to stay. You'll be much closer to campus and very happy you did.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JustTheFacts1979
Attica, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I highly recommend this hotel. The room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful with anything we needed. Restaurants were a short drive away with a variety of different restaurants. Papa Johns Pizza delivered to the hotel and was very good. I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I don't understand the reviews claiming a room is $40 or $60. This was also an event weekend but not a big event like Halloween. It was Black Alumni Weekend and 7Fest. They wanted $109 for their cheapest room. Absolutely not. I told them it was way too much and that the nicer hotels in town charged less.

The place is a dump. The people who work there are nice and helpful but they look like they walked off the set of Deliverance. The whole place has a creepy vibe.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo