“Not as good as they make it sound”

Hil Mak's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 70 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
pittsburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as they make it sound”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I tried Hil-Mak's for the first time after reading several of the other reviews on this site. I don't want to sway you from going there. It was a decent meal and priced appropriately. However, after reading the glowing reviews from the other posters I was expecting a fantastic meal. It was just good. The seafood list is impressive and everything we had was fresh. However, I've had MUCH better seafood dining experiences. Giving it five stars is a bit much. The service was fast, but they missed out on little details. The halibut chowder was WAY overcooked and the fish tasted like rubber. Crab legs were par. Salmon was slightly overcooked (a problem that happens all too often). Overall the preparation lacked imagination (salmon with dill mayonnaise....) and execution.

I would recommend this place- it's GOOD. It's just not great. Don't go in expecting the meal of a lifetime. But after a day out on the lake or sipping wine at the local vineyards, you'll have a nice meal.

1 Thank devonez

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“If you're up for a good...”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

If you're up for a good $$ and can tolerate seafood, this is the place to find it. If it happens to be a romantic evening out, mind the noise.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lititz, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beyond comparison”
Reviewed June 23, 2008

The Hil-Mak was a fantastic surprise in this little town of Ashtabula, OH during an ealry summer Walleye fishing trip. It is a no-frills, quaint dining experience of exceptional value and the best quality seafood I've ever experienced in comparison with such places as Seattle, San Francisco, New Orleans, etc. where your bill would be 4-5 times as high & the only difference is that Hil-Mak would also taste much better. If you find yourself w/in a few hours, it's well worth the stop. Superb! My party was mostly from south eastern PA & one straggler from GA, but we all agree that we will certainly be back...we might even bring the southerner again. Thanks to the owner & staff.

1 Thank Livin4GoodEats
Alexandria
“A great restaurant, a jewel”
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I recently moved my business operations from Ohio to the Washington DC area and I will miss the great seafood in one of the jewels of Northern Eastern Ohio. I am a seafood lover and a self-declared connisseur. The clam chowder and fresh fish is perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. The only complaint I have is that the homemade carrot cake contains too many calories and is irresistible. Keep up the superior quality.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I haven't been here in a...”
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I haven't been here in a while but the restaurant had the best food and you could also buy fresh fish in the market behind the restaurant. My favorite was the seafood salad - yum.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook