“Great barbecue restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We combine a retro style operation with a contemporary atmosphere to provide you with the most authentic southern style BBQ and a fun-filled experience.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Last summer this restaurant moved across the street to larger quarters. Much improved altho the food still as good as before. It is a must on our list.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

First time at new restaurant. It is larger and now has a larger Bar to sit at. We went on a Friday evening and got a table right away. This is a mixed review - There was compliments on the Turkey Reuben which was quite tasty. The fries served were also excellent. I had a pulled pork sandwich (which I normally like)but this time it seemed 'off'. Perhaps it was that is was not very hot (temperature). I also had to flag down the waitress to ask for different sauces and was told that they were around the corner. It would have been nice to have at table. Most of the descriptions on the BBQ containers were hard to make out, and all containers were very sticky. We were also very disappointed in the Baked Beans. They really did taste like they were right out of a can. After adding BBQ sauce and pepper , they were a bit more flavorable. Also we were taken back that everything was still served in disposable serving ware and the the utensils were still plastic utensils. I guess we thought that moving into the new very nice setting , would warrant plates and silver utensils. This is a nice location , but it is still a very, very casual setting (which is ok !!)

1  Thank CAT_AJM
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband I lucked into a delicious lunch on a summer visit to Ashtabula Harbor. After dragging my husband around to some great shops, he declared that we had to eat. Honestly, I'd only had great coffee in the Harbor so wasn't sure what to expect. "Wow" is what we found!
Lunch started off with a micro-brew each, chosen from a fun and eclectic selection of breweries. For lunch, I had a truly tasty tomato soup - rich flavor and exactly the right consistency - served with a warm thick chunk of cornbread. I added a salad, which came with another hunk of cornbread! The salad ingredients were fresh and crisp with a sweet and savory honey mustard dressing. My husband dove into a beef brisket with homemade BBQ sauce of his choosing from a variety of favors. The beef was tender and delicious - no knife needed!
I wish Briquettes wasn't 600 miles away as this was the best lunch out all summer!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We are opening a BBQ restaurant in Girard, OH. Heard numerous great comments about Nate's BBQ. Visited his place this weekend, had an excellent meal and Nate spend 2 hours chatting about BBQ and the restaurant business. Ribs, Brisket, Wings, very very good. Heading back up near future. Well worth the 1 hour drive. Thanks Nate!!! BTW, service is very good, while I'm not a beer drinker, their selection is awesome.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Symon knows pig but Briquettes is smokin! This is the only BBQ joint in NE Ohio that I bring family and friends. The ribs are St. Louis and lightly sauced. My wife says the multiple sauces are great but I wouldn't know because the ribs are perfect right from the smoker. This guy smokes everything; ribs, butt, brisket, wings. He even smokes tea leaves for sweet tea! I'm a frequent customer and opine this is the best BBQ in all of northern Ohio. Lot's of micro brews and a full bar. Continuous delta blues on the sound system. It just doesn't get any better.