“BBQ with a twist..”

Briquettes Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Description: We combine a retro style operation with a contemporary atmosphere to provide you with the most authentic southern style BBQ and a fun-filled experience.
“BBQ with a twist..”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

These guys know their brisket and ribs. Still trying to decide which combination of sauces I prefer. Have been there several times and continue to sample new mixes :)
Great atmosphere, service is good, and you will not go away hungry. Did I mention they have a full bar and some amazing local beers?

Visited July 2013

“great lunch”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at Briquettes. Service, food were both top notch. I had the two meat combo of pulled pork and smoked chicken. The the meat comes unsauced so you can choose from about 8 made in house sauces. The sauces ranged from a vinegar base sauce to typical sweet sauce to a spicy peanut butter based sauce. Their cole slaw is a vinegar base that really lets the freshness come out in the slaw. My wife had a salad (huge) and tomato soup. The soup was nice and thick and had a kick to it. The salad greens were extremely fresh. There are tons of craft beers to choose from; they had 3 on tap, 2 Stone and 1 Fat Head. Interesting choices and its obvious that a beer lover owns the joint.

• Visited June 2013
“Pleasantly surprised.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent bar-be-que place.
Driving from Cleveland to Niagra Falls, and looking for a place to eat. We got off the interstate and were cruising down highway 531. We were going through Ashtabula and saw a chocolate shop. Not the meal we were looking for, but it's chocolate. The girl at the chocolate shop recommended Briquettes across the street.
The food was excellent and you get more than enough. And if you like smoked flavor try their smoked iced tea, it's made with smoked tea leaves.
So there are two places we would stop at if ever through Ashtabula again, Marianne's and Briquettes.
By the way, the sea salt chocolate bark at Marianne's is great.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TimandCindytravelers
Ashtabula, Ohio
“Perfect!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The relocation of Briquettes to the old Hulbert's Building was a great move. We loved the bar with booths area and the seats in front of the window are special. The expanded food menu is what brought us in as I am not a huge meat eater. My choice of the fish sandwich melt was a good one. It came with fries both of which are new items on their menu. Another like of mine is the full bar. I am a wine drinker and their choices did not disappoint. In addition, I love their wine glasses.

• Visited May 2013
Ashtabula
“Does not meet criteria for 'Craft Beer' Bar label.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have to say I love the new location, and the food is still awesome, however, in labeling the restaurant a 'craft beer bar' and not having an actual physical beer menu that you can hand your customers is very inconvenient for everyone. It would not be that difficult to come up with for people so they do not have to go over to the bar and attempt to look in the un-lighted coolers to see what kind of beer they want to try. The purpose of a craft beer bar is to experience new craft beers and they do not make it very easy. I had to get up out of my seat, walk over to the bar, and I literally had to squint to see what kind of beer they had in their freezers, because they are not lighted. There are also floor coolers as well but they are behind the bar and cannot be seen unless you are sitting at the bar.

• Visited April 2013
N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your feedback. We are constantly trying to make our restaurant more user friendly and take our job of providing top notch products and service very seriously. We take great pride in being, not only the first craft beer bar in Ashtabula, but one of the best, and most highly regarded craft beer bars and BBQ restaurants anywhere between Erie, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, with regard to craft beer, there is really no ideal way to produce a menu as the library of over 200 different selections varies somewhat drastically from week to week. We are constantly shopping for new products, seasonals, and limited releases from the 30+ different breweries that we purchase products from. We attempt to keep our staff educated and trained on how to recommend a suitable selection for our patrons based on their specific taste, but I will confess, when we hire a large number of new employees who are unversed the craft beer market, it is a daunting task for them to learn their way around the ever changing landscape of our product offering.

Our bar manager is currently working with one of our main purveyors on setting up a program that will list the current offering of seasonals and limited releases and new products - much the same way one of our favorite craft beer bars in Cleveland does it. We do hope to be of better service to you in the near future.

Regards,