“Wonderful food”

Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We combine a retro style operation with a contemporary atmosphere to provide you with the most authentic southern style BBQ and a fun-filled experience.
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We live in the area and often stop here for lunch. Although our favorite dish is the pulled pork sandwich, today I had the pulled pork/chopped chicken combo and that too was delicious. The pork is so tender and juicy with a lovely smoked flavor. I love the sweet BBQ sauce and have also tried the maple mustard which is very good. They now offer a good selection of micro brews which is a nice addition to the menu. The sides are always good. We've had BBQ in Texas and North Carolina, but this is still my favorite. The prices are reasonable and the service is friendly and efficient.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

My wife and I were exploring the Lake Erie shore and wandered into Ashtabula a short time before lunch. After a brief sightseeing (very brief, there is not much to see and the local museum was closed) we wandered downtown to find lunch. We were pointed to Briquettes by a local pub's bartender as a good spot to find lunch and he was so right. I had the Brunswick Stew and it was very hardy and flavorful as advertised. The pulled pork was good and my wife said her Beef Brisket Salad was great and the brisket had a distinct smoke ring and flavor. The side of Mac and Cheese was a pleasant surprise as well. On top of all this the price was very reasonable.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We rode by here a few months ago and this time, we decided to stop! So glad we did! The good was very good! I had the two meat combo, but opted for the brisket instead of the chicken. It also came with pulled pork! Both meats were tender and flavorful, with a great hint of smokiness at the end! My plate also came with potato salad, which was good and beans. The jalapeno cornbread was most awesome! Didn't even use the butter! We tried the sweet and tangy sauce and it was very good as well. Our friends had the bbq nachos and salads topped with pulled pork and both enjoyed their food very much. We would definitely stop at this great little place again if/when we are in the area again!

1  Thank KeyLimeLover69
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I went here with the wife and we really enjoyed this restaurant. The only complaint is that it took over 10 minutes for someone to come by the table and ask us how we were and take our order. Other than that, it would have received 5 stars. Be sure to try all the different sauces.

N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Thanks for your review Eric. Sorry to hear about your long wait for us to make it to the table. I promise that is not typical, we try to make it to every table immediately upon arrival, and greet everyone at the door. We want you to feel welcome, like if you were visiting a long lost relative (real family like!). Thanks for visiting and for your kind words, we appreciate your business and your honest feedback . . . we can't make improvements without it!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

After reading good reviews about Briquettes Smokehouse in Ashtabula, I had to try the food. I liked my brisket sandwich very much, as well as the side of Brunswick Stew. My son and husband enjoyed their food and the big selection of sauces. The bourbon barbeque sauce was their favorite.

1  Thank PensandSteelersFan