“dissappointment”

Cuisines: Asian
Oberlin, Ohio
“dissappointment”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I returned to this restaurant recently. I was there on a Tuesday evening, which is a slow night apparently. A number of the items were disappointing. The wrappers of the spring rolls were unpleasantly tough. The egg drop soup was slimy and had little of the good fresh egg flavor it had the last time I tried it there. In fact, it reminded me of why I never get egg drop soup. Both of these problems were probably due to the amount of time the items had been on the steam table. Also, the shrimp ships were barely edible. The sushi (maki) had no sea food in it, only carrot and cheese, or carrot and celery. The sweet and sour chicken had a very thin sauce which hardly added any flavor. On the other hand, the chicken and broccoli was still as delicious as ever, and the pepper beef was good. BTW, the restaurant is located on Cooper Forest Park Ave, as indicated above, but to the East of the highway, not to the West as shown on the map.

• Visited July 2012

Oberlin, Ohio
“Very tasty buffet”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This buffet excels not by a choice of a hundred entrees - in a small town, it wisely limits the buffet to a manageable number of items which will then have enough turn-over to remain fresh - but the quality of the cooking. I especially recommend the chicken with broccoli and chicken with mushrooms, the omelettes (I have had egg foo young, and onion omelette [falsely labeled shrimp omelette]), the egg drop soup (which I will not touch at most buffets), the spring rolls and the tilapia sushi. Lunch is good, but I have had an even better experience with dinner - I would avoid going in between these times, as the clientelle in the afternoon is too reduced for a buffet and so some of the dishes sit for too long. However, even on my one afternoon visit there were enough good dishes that I enjoyed my meal whole-heartedly. (NB - for those w children, or a sweet tooth - ice cream is included on the buffet, altho I have never been able to refrain from eating too much of the tasty food on the buffet to have room left for dessert.)

• Visited April 2012