“Great Idea for Amherst but Food is off the mark”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stubby's Pub and Grub - CLOSED

Stubby's Pub and Grub
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
amherst,oh
“Great Idea for Amherst but Food is off the mark”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I love this place for the atmosphere. The service has been top notch. However, the food for me has been well below my expectations.

In being fair, our 2 visits so far have been later in the evening for drinks and some light munchies. 1st visit I ordered the regular wings and the Guinness French Onion Soup. Wings were over cooked and dry which can happen anywhere with chicken wings. The soup was served microwave heated with a lump of partially melted cheese in the middle. As you know microwave heating only lasts a few seconds and the soup is cold again. A better way of this being done is microwave it first then put it in a oven and toast the cheese up some. Maybe I'm wrong on how they heated it but the result was the same. As for the soups taste, sorry, that didn't work for me either. The soup is close in something different and tasty, maybe if heated properly it would of been better. My wife had the wings as well with a Caesar Salad. She said the wings were the same as mine but the Salad was good so she was ok with it.
On our second visit I ordered a $7.00 Cheeseburger which came with regular chips and a pickle. This is a biggie,,,,, if your expecting something close to a normal Cheeseburger don't order this item. For me it was horrible, the consistency of the meat was way off, it crumbled in your mouth without chewing. After only two bites I told the server I didn't care for it at all. She stated the meat is mixed with brown sugar and coffee. Hmmm, must be somebody's idea of a gourmet burger. Sorry, It wasn't what I expected. Once again, in being fair if I had read the Menu I would of seen those ingredients were mentioned. Also, the server did remove the Burger from our check without any hesitation. My wife ordered the $9.00 Steak Wrap which she was very happy with.

Because I live in Amherst and its nice having a upscale restaurant downtown, I will try it one more time and order something off of the dinner menu. I hope I can update this Review with some good news.

• Visited June 2012