“Good hotel, easy access”

Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Akron
Detroit, Michigan
“Good hotel, easy access”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place was an all-around good hotel for a Holiday Inn. It was very easy to access I-77 and the rest of Akron. Plenty of eating options within walking distance and a plaza across the street. The rooms were recently updated and are very comfortable. The hallways could use an update, but how much time do you spend there? There was a problem with the lock on my door so they had to move me, but gave me a free dinner for my inconvenience which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Arabic first
Tallmadge, Ohio
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had to wait for a desk attendant to check in.They attempted to upgrade the bathroom, but the shower door only covered 1/2 of the opening so the floor got wet! And although there was a nice stone sink countertop and vessel sink, the faucet was incorrectly place resulting in the water flow hitting half an inch from edge of sink bowl. There was no way to hold a wash cloth under the running water. It was difficult to even wash your hands. The wallpaper in the main room was lifting at the edge. The breakfast was decent with real scrambled eggs but we felt uncomfortable as 2 dining room workers watched our every move as we ate since they weren't busy enough.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaneWilder
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear karenvon,

Thank you for sharing your comments online. I am pleased to note that you were satisfied with our breakfast choices.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the bathroom amenities. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for it has negatively affected some aspects of your stay.

We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into to avoid the same situation in the future. We all hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you again.

Dhan M
Naples, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here many times because the Park Grill is attached and we have dinner meetings there. Several problems, number one is the place is dated, rooms are pretty clean but then the TV didn't work and I had to change rooms to a so-so channel line-up.
Problem 2, The real problem... The first time I stayed there I booked via Holiday Inn National and got a room for $129. I just thought that was the best rate. NO! You can insist on a rate of around $89 and get it. My associates staying there paid $89. The next time I called they claimed their rate was $129... and that is because they asked for my name and then saw what I paid before.. they insisted on $129 and I told them where to put it. My associates again for the same room this trip got $89. I booked the Hampton Inn, 100 yards away and won't stay with Holiday Inn West Akron again.

Room Tip: To get a good room and a good rate I would suggest another hotel. i.e. The Hilton about 1 mile east...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JohnS34134
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear JohnS34134,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We are very sorry for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Connie D
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Akron hotels

Englewood, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Two night stay with wife visiting neary family. It appeared that the facilites had gone through some sort of updating, but the udpates were not well done with new cracks showing up in ceilings that had obviously been patched and so forth. Bathroom had a modern look to it but was functionally a flop. The porcelain vessel style bowl had a giant crack in it and the shower had a stationary clear glass partition instead of a shower curtain and it only covered half of the shower, so a watery mess everywhere. And with the partition being clear, it was a little weird to watch the reflection of yourself showering in the mirror over the sink. Shower temperature was almost impossible to regulate with the sensitve handle. And then a toilet flushing either in your room or elsewhere seemed to throw the temparature into a tailspin. Mattress was extremely hard and uncomfortable.

We did have a fairly decent dinner and Shaun the bartender seemed to be particularly good at not only mixing and serving drinks, but being attentive and personable.

For a business trip, I might consider this still a decent value for the room rate. But when traveling with family, I expect more. Usually Holiday Inn brand meets that expectation, but not this time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear CrownContraDad75,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Sibiu, Romania
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here for two night recently on business, the hotel is easy to get to and has plenty of parking. Check in was quick and easy and the rooms were nice, the only problem I had was the shower that seemed to have a very small adjustment between scorching hot and freezing cold.
Breakfast was a varied buffet but the breakfast room seemed to be very full even though the hotel had plenty of empty rooms so I think there could be problems when the hotel is full.
The best thing about this place is the staff, they are all extremely friendly and helpful, I was alone at the hotel and the bar staff especially went out of there way to make sure I was entertained. Next time I am in Akron I will stay here again

Cambridge, OH
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 one-week stays, on business. The staff were cordial and professional, and seemed to be doing the best (well, almost) that they could. However, the structure is dated, the rooms were not as clean as one would expect for a Holiday Inn. The interior of the rooms have been updated, and they look ok at first glance. However, I found that the bathroom faucet was mounted to close the top edge of the vessel sink, preventing me from getting my hands all the way under the water. The faucet was loose and wobbled back and forth when activated. The beds were very hard, and the room-temperature was difficult to control due to the large, non-energy efficient sliding-glass doors. The TV and TV service was GREAT!

Unless my employer forces me to stay at this hotel in the future, I will stay else where.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear OhioBusTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy that you found our staff to be attentive to your needs. However, I would like to apologize that on this day the room you were given was not at par with what you expected. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been traveling to this area for over 16 years. I had not been to this hotel for awhile before this stay but I was impressed with the renovation that they have done. I have to say that this is the best renovation that I have seen at an older Holiday Inn property. The corporation seems to be normally dumping the older hotels for their cookie cutter HI Express, increasingly crappy, boring, hotels, so it was nice to see this one still up and kicking and looking better than ever. There is a buffet breakfast that beats the heck out of the HEI cardboard egg stuff, and the room/bathroom had been upgraded enough to be pretty darn good. Staff was pleasant as they have been for the 16 years I've been staying here. I've never seen that swimming pool they show on the site, but I seldom see the sun shine in Northern Ohio anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
#1 of 5 in Fairlawn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Akron Fairlawn
Hampton Inn Akron - Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Fairlawn
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn

Been to Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn? Share your experiences!