“Needs updating.”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Kentucky
“Needs updating.”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

A little high in price considering the newer hotels in the area. Hallways and room walls need updating. Bedding was fresh and comfortable. Bathrooms have been updated. Desk staff was okay. We checked in after 11pm and were sent to wrong room. Our attempts to open door scared the occupant, and we exhausted had to go back to lobby in search of the right room. Think we should have had our breakfast comped for that. Think at this price and the nearby competition that the breakfast should come with the room.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank caymansilvas
tdonn75676, General Manager at Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Akron/West, I want to thank you for taking the time voice your concerns regarding your stay. We pride ourselves on excellent guest service, and when we fall short we need to take action. I assure you that your feedback will be used to ensure that these issuses don't happen again. Please contact me at the hotel directly, so that we may discuss these concerns in further detail.

Tom Donnelly, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Arabic first
Detroit suburb, MI
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My daughter and I had booked here through a discount travel site. They had this listed as a 3 star, not so much...its a 2 star if that, the rooms are updated but we found hair in both beds and in the bathroom. They tried to move us and out of 4 rooms all had hair on the bed. That is disgusting. We ended up getting a refund and moved on to the nicer hotel Courtyard. If cleanliness is important to you, look elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank avacadoaim

Travelers are raving about these Akron hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I would like to share my dislike and disappointment during my recent stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Akron, OH (Akron-West). I am a senior Army service member and travel a lot to conduct military business in several states and choose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites due to such excellent service received at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Hope Mills, NC. I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Akron, OH (Akron-West) due to that particular reason thinking that my stay would be just as pleasant considering it was a Holiday Inn. To my surprise and extreme disappointment which I will identify later in this feedback, I will never stay at this hotel again and probably will not stay at another Holiday Inn ever. If it isn’t a Holiday Inn Express & Suites, I will take my business elsewhere.
The front desk staff was not professional; they were somewhat non-attentive and did not even recognize my Platinum Priority Club status. I was not asked for it nor was any additional upgrade options offered when I presented my card to them. It was as if they were doing me a favor by checking me in and allowing me to stay at the hotel.
This hotel seemed to make a feeble attempt at trying to upgrade the guest rooms but putting minimal efforts at doing so. I have stayed at other hotels that were just as old and completed renovations to give their hotel a new facelift and the renovations done at this hotel should have been call a bandage instead of new renovations. The room amenities were outdated (i.e... TV, iron, no microwave or coffee pot). Instead of completely renovating the tub/shower combo, they chose to install a vinyl shower insert with a fixed half glass (not appealing, shottie workmanship and water sprays out of open half of fixed half door). The room reaps of oldness due to the outdated, smelly carpet. In short as I stated initially, I was extremely disappointed and will never stay at this hotel again and probably will not stay at another Holiday Inn ever.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GlasgowT
Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Holiday Inn West was really just an average place to stay with an above average price. They has a 15% surcharge for the weekend, which put us at $160 for the night.
The employees were very nice. The free breakfast was pretty good. The beds were ok and the TV was older. The outdoor pool was old but it provided a nice place to hang out and relax.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed June 24, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Cuyahoga Valley National Park for our anniversary. We wanted to stay in Akron for convenience, so this hotel was a great choice. It appears to have been recently renovated. Rooms were very nice, as were the common areas like the lobby and pool area. There was plenty of parking.

The great feature of this hotel is that it's in close proximity to shopping centers and tons of restaurants. The park is not far and we even traveled up to Lake Erie on a whim.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Convenient location right off interstate and near many stores and restaurants. Despite supposed recent renovation, the hotel seems dated and tired. The lobby was okay but the rooms only average and the bathroom small. For the price, I was unimpressed. Front desk staff seemed more interested in flirting with younger guests and themselves or surfing the Internet! The breakfast buffet was limited. I would likely stay somewhere else when I am in the areas again - but then again the other nearby choices are only so-so. Odd given that this is a well-healed area of Akron.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TRV_1957
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We only stayed one night in a king standard room, but I was surprised to see how modern the hotel looked inside. It must have been recently renovated. The mattress was a little hard, but the room was very spacious! We spent some time in the bar downstairs. The bartender was very nice. They had a few seasonal brews on tap, which it always appreciate. Would definitely recommend for such a cheap price!!!

• Liked — Price, location, modern on inside
  • Disliked — Mattress
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LindsayD29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Fairlawn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Akron Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
#1 of 5 in Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Akron

Been to Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn? Share your experiences!